The straight out of uni job hunt...

Kernow

8 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

have you tried entering via PCSO, its voluntary but you train the same as regular Police Officers ?

because you hold a degree you would be considered because all new recruits require a degree level entry qualification and you would be in a better position to snap up a full time paid post when available.

working in a pub/brewery would do your chances of entering the Police great harm, obviously :angry:

I tried for a PCSO position in Cardiff. Was told that my application scored high enough but due to the high number of applicants they couldn't take it any further. I expect that was partly down to my age and lack of real world experience.

Thats why I'm considering getting a regular job that still gives you valuable skills then maybe volunteering as a Special Constable too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I tried for a PCSO position in Cardiff. Was told that my application scored high enough but due to the high number of applicants they couldn't take it any further. I expect that was partly down to my age and lack of real world experience.

Thats why I'm considering getting a regular job that still gives you valuable skills then maybe volunteering as a Special Constable too.

have you tried Devon Constabulary ? your age shouldn't go against you !!

Just now, LesterRam said:

have you tried Devon Constabulary ? your age shouldn't go against you !!

Devon & Cornwall are cutting back not hiring. I imagine for the limited positions they would be hiring in recent years they'd need people completely ready to step into the job and not people to train up and learn as they go. They don't have the resources

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Devon & Cornwall are cutting back not hiring. I imagine for the limited positions they would be hiring in recent years they'd need people completely ready to step into the job and not people to train up and learn as they go. They don't have the resources

move to the midlands :D

we are crying out for PCSO's.

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I've tried. I wanted to join the Police but they aren't hiring right now. Ideally I need to find something I can do in the meantime that would have transferable skills to give me a better chance when they do hire.

That's one of the reasons I'm really not sure about the primary training position. It would be alright but I've never actually wanted to do that.

Have a gander at this, I've a friend who just started doing this as a volunteer in Cornwall, her intention is to perhaps get in the police force too.

http://www.appropriateadult.org.uk/index.php/practice/becoming-an-aa

55 minutes ago, mozza said:

if Unis did 4 year courses that rolled on , regardless of age , i'm sure there are a lot of

students who would sign on forever , doing course after course , just to keep away from earning a living ..

( not aimed at anyone in this thread)

Yup. Met a few of those. IMHO educated idiots more often than not.

My background is HR/recruitment. I'd say that if you don't have the immediate way in to what you want then temping is a great idea. You never know what skills you may learn that will make your cv a winner. You never know who you may meet either that will prove useful. You could find out what you thought may be for you is actually your worst nightmare. Or you might find yourself a great fit when you expected nothing but a few quid and a bit of experience on your cv (like srg seems to have done!). Jobs for life are rare nowadays, go out and cast your net (not fishing probably) and do a number of things. 

Check out The Muse, ok it's American but the way in is to construct a great cv and a stand out cover letter then make them hire you at interview  

Working in a brewery affecting your chances in the police is not true btw unless you drink all the profits and fight with your boss probably. 

I've tried. I wanted to join the Police but they aren't hiring right now. Ideally I need to find something I can do in the meantime that would have transferable skills to give me a better chance when they do hire.

That's one of the reasons I'm really not sure about the primary training position. It would be alright but I've never actually wanted to do that.

Do what you want to do. March in to the Police Academy and ask them what you have to do. Talk to coppers. Stop them in the street. Go out with one. Volunteer you're way in.

Sounds simplistic but if that's what you want to do (really), that is what will happen.

You thought about working at a Doughnut shop?

I'm in the same boat as kernow, graduating in a few months! They keep talking to us about jobs and to start looking and applying, I just pretend it isn't really happening! Doing a masters is getting more and more tempting just up push back the decision of what I want to do because I just don't know. 

26 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I'm in the same boat as kernow, graduating in a few months! They keep talking to us about jobs and to start looking and applying, I just pretend it isn't really happening! Doing a masters is getting more and more tempting just up push back the decision of what I want to do because I just don't know. 

I'm pissed off with the schools and colleges really and how they sell uni to you. "Go to uni and you WILL get a job". That's not the case anymore it's not that easy. In my college if you did A levels you had to submit a UCAS application, it's like there was no alternative to uni presented to you.

By the way thanks to everyone that has posted suggestions! I'll have a look properly later on. I'm on the train back to Cardiff so connection comes and goes.

34 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I'm tempted by the .asters again now, especially as you can get student loan for one now too

Before retirement, I had three separate "careers" : Transport / distribution, procurement and finally consultancy. Jobs for life have gone, so transferrable skills are absolutely essential.

Sympathise with your dilemma and how best to get on the ladder, but use any opportunity to get experience. My final "career" taught me four valuable things :

Work hard to gain credibility - and even harder to retain it !

With experience you will cope with ANY situation offered you (and survive!)

You need to be more concerned with CONTINUITY of employment, rather than permanency of employment : particularly as you get older, but bear in mind if you suffer "rationalisation" earlier in your working life.

Every £ you earn, from whatever source, however menial, is one £ less on your overdraft!

Hope that helps in the longer term.

2 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I feel for students, saddled with debt and the only people earning money are the non teaching staff that can reach £100k+

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/university-earners-revealed-Leicester/story-28164182-detail/story.html

I bet students have a lovely glow inside knowing they are keeping Cameron's cronies in £100k jobs...

Nobody forced them into taking courses at Uni having no idea what they want to do in life, or accepting those student loans which is what they are loans, not handouts.

No Sympathy here! 

People like Kernow who knew what he wanted and now can't get that job are different, I just don't get the I need to get a degree with no idea what the end goal is.

I get it's hard at that age to really know what you want to do but going out and getting into debt for a piece of paper that could be pointless is a brainless move from those that are supposed to be intelligent!

Few members in here that probably would have got the same jobs without that degree on the CV.

Vote Daveo for PM and you would need 2 years minimum in a full time employment before being able to qualify for Uni. Get that life experience first and sample the real world.

"Student Loan" is such a misnomer - especially as it is now.

It's a loan that the vast majority students will never pay back, as it's written off in 30 years.

They might as well say that higher education is free but paid for by a 9% graduate tax for 30 years.

7 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Vote Daveo for PM and you would need 2 years minimum in a full time employment before being able to qualify for Uni. Get that life experience first and sample the real world.

Have to agree with this. Most kids haven't got a clue what they actually want to do long term. Having a couple of years in employment before taking further studies would allow them to sample the 'real' world, give them some valuable life experience, and earn them some dosh so as not to need a millstone around their neck for the privilege of going to Uni.

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Have to agree with this. Most kids haven't got a clue what they actually want to do long term. Having a couple of years in employment before taking further studies would allow them to sample the 'real' world, give them some valuable life experience, and earn them some dosh so as not to need a millstone around their neck for the privilege of going to Uni.

It's true. 

Let's say I owned a printing company, I had two 21 year olds sat in front of me, one that has worked for 4 years in a supermarket, the other fresh out of Uni with his shiny degree.

Without a doubt I would employ the one with 4 years work experience. To me that would be far more valuable than a degree in English literature say.

Now if we forced people into employment for 2 years from school, stay at home there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to save up say 10k to go into Uni, so much better start to life with those 2 years and 10k behind you. 

33 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Nobody forced them into taking courses at Uni having no idea what they want to do in life, or accepting those student loans which is what they are loans, not handouts.

No Sympathy here! 

People like Kernow who knew what he wanted and now can't get that job are different, I just don't get the I need to get a degree with no idea what the end goal is.

I get it's hard at that age to really know what you want to do but going out and getting into debt for a piece of paper that could be pointless is a brainless move from those that are supposed to be intelligent!

Few members in here that probably would have got the same jobs without that degree on the CV.

I understand what you're trying to get at and to a point its true. I have worked alot, both before I went to University and during. I've worked five different jobs along side studying, and do you know what thats helped me decide? That I dont want to work those five jobs. It's still done nothing to inform me on the millions of other options out there, working in a super market for two years will inform you whether or not you want to work in a super market.

16 minutes ago, Daveo said:

It's true. 

Let's say I owned a printing company, I had two 21 year olds sat in front of me, one that has worked for 4 years in a supermarket, the other fresh out of Uni with his shiny degree.

Without a doubt I would employ the one with 4 years work experience. To me that would be far more valuable than a degree in English literature say.

Now if we forced people into employment for 2 years from school, stay at home there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to save up say 10k to go into Uni, so much better start to life with those 2 years and 10k behind you. 

Except your not a recruiter and its been years since you tried getting onto the bottom of the career ladder. Because so many people go to university, and so many people get degrees and the nature of the job market, businesses are getting hundreds of applications. It has become expected that for jobs you have a degree, thats the based requirement. I flick through job after job after job and the first requirement is always "a relevant degree at 2:2 level or higher". That is the barrier, and because so many people have the degree, the 21 year old with four years experience isnt making it past the computer screening.

Archived