The straight out of uni job hunt...

Kernow

Okay so in around 4 months I'll have graduated from Cardiff Uni with a degree in criminology & sociology (lucky me!) and I'll need to find a job.

I've had a few things rejected so far such as in the civil service, police etc... I've been offered a place on a one-year post-grad training course to become a primary teacher in Cornwall, although I'm really not sure that's what I'd want to do.

Any ideas? It doesn't necessarily have to relate around my degree I'd just like a job that wouldn't be a chore to go to every day and didn't pay half bad, but wouldn't we all?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kernow said:

And where's that if you mind me asking? Did you go to uni?

Business Studies degree, working at Molson Coors brewery in Burton... If you live near Rock in Cornwall, you should try Sharp's brewery! Nothing more interesting than getting to talk about and drink beer all day.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Business Studies degree, working at Molson Coors brewery in Burton... If you live near Rock in Cornwall, you should try Sharp's brewery! Nothing more interesting than getting to talk about and drink beer all day.

Not too far to be honest!

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Not too far to be honest!

just had a quick look what they got going on down there and there's a 6 month fix termed contract for racking in the Brewery... would work out at £16k per annum but it's a foot in the door, or a good tie-over until you find something you want elsewhere

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

so what was the point of getting the degree you got if you aren't trying for a related career?

I've tried. I wanted to join the Police but they aren't hiring right now. Ideally I need to find something I can do in the meantime that would have transferable skills to give me a better chance when they do hire.

That's one of the reasons I'm really not sure about the primary training position. It would be alright but I've never actually wanted to do that.

21 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Okay so in around 4 months I'll have graduated from Cardiff Uni with a degree in criminology & sociology (lucky me!) and I'll need to find a job.

I've had a few things rejected so far such as in the civil service, police etc... I've been offered a place on a one-year post-grad training course to become a primary teacher in Cornwall, although I'm really not sure that's what I'd want to do.

Any ideas? It doesn't necessarily have to relate around my degree I'd just like a job that wouldn't be a chore to go to every day and didn't pay half bad, but wouldn't we all?

You first need to decide if you want a job or a career by the sound of it. Not that a carrer has to be for life - I radically changed mine a couple of years ago & after 16 years in one industry.

Do you want a job for a couple of years and see what happens or start something (you mention police, teaching) which are a more long term committment?.

Do you want a desk job?.

Do you want to work in a team or on your own?

Do you want to work with the public?

Do you want to travel?

Do you want to work outdoors?

etc etc

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I've tried. I wanted to join the Police but they aren't hiring right now. Ideally I need to find something I can do in the meantime that would have transferable skills to give me a better chance when they do hire.

That's one of the reasons I'm really not sure about the primary training position. It would be alright but I've never actually wanted to do that.

Just in case you wanted to look http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/people/careers-in-beer-begin-here/uk-employment-search

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Do you want a job for a couple of years and see what happens or start something (you mention police, teaching) which are a more long term committment?

That's really the issue I have right now. If I just got any old job & waited I could never end up finding something. Going in to teaching would be a long-term career, so if I'm really not sure whether I want to do it or not then should I even go into it in the first place?

Just now, Kernow said:

That's really the issue I have right now. If I just got any old job & waited I could never end up finding something. Going in to teaching would be a long-term career, so if I'm really not sure whether I want to do it or not then should I even go into it in the first place?

I was in a position where everything I went for wanted experience, nothing even that specific. It was mainly that they just thought I needed office experience having only ever really worked in a hotel part time. That's why I originally went for a temp agency, just to try get somewhere in an office environment.

It's a tricky degree to place in any industry other than police etc. but an often good path into the job market is to look for openings at small or start-up companies. The company I work for is tiny, and while it's very technical based (which obviously effects matters) I've never seen the bosses interview more than one person before hiring, because they don't get applicants at a high rate.

I'm not sure how successful this would be for you, as I don't know what you're competent at.

I graduated last year, had a similar situation to you didn't really know what I wanted to do had a couple of interviews nothing I really wanted to do so flew out to new Zealand and work there for 4 months now I'm travelling round Asia. Would definitely recommend it best thing I've ever done. 

Re the teaching job I think that's something you'd actually need to have a desire to do, if you haven't got the desire to I'd say you'd end up hating it

if Unis did 4 year courses that rolled on , regardless of age , i'm sure there are a lot of

students who would sign on forever , doing course after course , just to keep away from earning a living ..

( not aimed at anyone in this thread)

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

have you tried entering via PCSO, its voluntary but you train the same as regular Police Officers ?

because you hold a degree you would be considered because all new recruits require a degree level entry qualification and you would be in a better position to snap up a full time paid post when available.

working in a pub/brewery would do your chances of entering the Police great harm, obviously :angry:

Archived