Mel on FFP

AmericanRam

From the DET:

DERBY County's owner and chairman Mel Morris has dismissed suggestions the club could have problems with Financial Fair Play regulations if they fail to win promotion this season.

"Absolutely untrue," said Morris when asked about a report in a national newspaper that said the Rams might face a fine.

Derby have splashed the cash on signings.

Around £25m has been spent on new players and although the deals are paid for in instalments spread over several years, some supporters have concerns over where the club will stand within FFP.

"It will be tighter than it was before, we accept that," said Morris.

Championship clubs will be permitted to lose a maximum of £13m under The Football League's FFP rules during 2015-16.

There is also a cost implication with removing a head coach or manager, as Derby did this week when they sacked Paul Clement.

"The settlement figure for these situations reduces your headroom on FFP, of course it does," said Morris.

"But I do not believe that this will push us over the edge in FFP."

Derby's big spending in the last two transfer windows has generated greater expectation levels among supporters.

Morris said this was never meant to be the case.

"I didn't see the spending of money as being something that was a sign we are 'going for it' this year," added Morris.

"If you think about the signings we made – and this a really important point – we actually had two different situations here.

"First, we had a change of head coach going on – Steve McClaren had left and Paul Clement was coming on board.

"We also had a period where I had become chairman of the club but with the original American ownership group still in place.

"Although I was financing the purchase of players, it was against the budget that the Americans were also on the hock for even though I was paying for it.

"Then we had my takeover of the club. The signings are different if you look through that calendar.

"In the period before I bought the club there were a number of free signings.

"Then, when budget was available of course you are bound to want to bring in a couple of decent signings."

Derby's first raft of signings in June included Darren Bent, Alex Pearce, Scott Carson and Chris Baird on free transfers while Andreas Weimann cost around £2.5m.

The second raft of new faces saw Derby twice break the club's transfer record.

Tom Ince arrived from Hull City for £4.75m and Bradley Johnson from Norwich City for £6m.

In between those two signings we saw Jason Shackell (£3m) and Jacob Butterfield sign.

Morris pointed to the serious injuries to midfielders Will Hughes and Craig Bryson in the opening game of the season as significant in Derby's transfer business.

"We had no choice not to bolster the squad," he said.

"You could say if promotion was not the target, why do that? But it is soul-destroying for a team of players who had been close for two seasons to suddenly find there is a hole in the midfield.

"So the signings of Jacob Butterfield and Bradley Johnson were actually a reaction to the injuries we had.

"Given what had happened with injuries the previous season, that was not an unreasonable overreaction.

"The signings were not one coordinated plan but three or four separate pieces glued together that may not look cohesive now."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Mel-Morris-confident-Rams-spending/story-28710305-detail/story.html#ixzz3zmsSLsHq
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this explain why the club are not appointing a full time replacement for Clement? Club is close to breaching FFP and Clements compensation would not have been anticipated at the time of the 'big' signings. We can't afford a big earner in the current financial period? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, AmericanRam said:

From the DET:

"In the period before I bought the club there were a number of free signings.

"Then, when budget was available of course you are bound to want to bring in a couple of decent signings."

I supposed the subject ("you") above refers to Paul Clement? According to MM's other interviews, it was PC -- not him -- who wanted promotion and to sign all those players.

Or am I confused?

3 minutes ago, HKRam said:

I supposed the subject ("you") above refers to Paul Clement? According to MM's other interviews, it was PC -- not him -- who wanted promotion and to sign all those players.

Or am I confused?

bringing in decent signings is about improving the squad and performances not necessarily about promotion this season. Mel has never said promotion isn't the aim, just that it doesn't have to be this season

26 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Am I not confused?

Yeah.

I wonder why he did not use pronouns that are less confusing.

For example, if it was about PC, MM could use:

• "Then, when budget was available of course he was bound to want to bring in a couple of decent signings."

Or MM could use another pronoun, which sounds about right to me:

• "Then, when budget was available of course I was bound to want to bring in a couple of decent signings."

Another observation is that MM uses a lot of "we" in his interviews. For example:

• "I don't think Paul was quite as clearly focused on the Academy as we wanted him to be."

Shouldn't it be:

• "I don't think Paul was quite as clearly focused on the Academy as I wanted him to be."

Just thought I would share how one could use pronouns flexibly to propel argument and manage impression.

• "I don't regret that, I think it was necessary to do that."

Perhaps this flexible use of pronoun, to MM, is a rhetorical device?

4 minutes ago, HKRam said:

Yeah.

I wonder why he did not use pronouns that are less confusing.

For example, if it was about PC, MM could use:

• "Then, when budget was available of course he is bound to want to bring in a couple of decent signings."

Or MM could use another pronoun, which sounds about right to me:

• "Then, when budget was available of course I am bound to want to bring in a couple of decent signings."

Another observation is that MM uses a lot of "we" in his interviews (e.g., "when we evaluate the progress"), when in fact he refers to he himself personally (e.g., "when I evaluate the progress").

Perhaps this flexible use of pronoun, to MM, is a rhetorical device?

Nearly all businesses and organisations would use the word WE as do you really think all the decisions are made by Mel without any discussions. 

Stop trying to read into things with your pronouns Jesus

I don't see why fans are getting worried over FFP in the first place. It's not guess work, we're not chucking money at players and hoping that we'll stay within the limits. The club is fully aware of what the limits are and how much it's spending; we don't employ accountants for nothing. Transfer fees don't say "undisclosed amount" to the parties involved.

Do people think a business as big as Derby County, or someone who's accumulated as much wealth as Mel, is unaware of how to manage their money and adhere to guidelines implemented by respective governing bodies, especially given our financially troubled past. 

We're not (currently) run by crooks, idiots or Fawaz, so just enjoy the fact that we even have this much to spend in the first place. Our job is to support the team, not balance it's books.

Im confident we are not breaking FFP just for the fact we have been so well run in the past and because Mel is obviously a clever business man 

even if we were breaking it what would really happen? An empty threat of a fine or points deduction?  Didnt QPR only get an £8m fine in the end ?

Archived