Should I stay or not?

South Ram

Right I need a second opinion on this, Ive recently been taken on trial with a taxi firm (last wednesday), however they will not pay me until they're comfortable I can work on my own, I don't know if I should go and look for a different job, or be patient and wait till I get paid for this one.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends how much you need the money so only you can answer that one fully. Although seeing as you seem somewhat undecided I'm going to guess you don't have any immediate financial worries i.e bills, children to support etc.

Consider how much you'd be paid once they start paying you. If you could easily find a different job for that money you may as well find a different one. Expecting you to work for an indefinite amount of time unpaid sounds dodgy anyway.

You'll find companies that pay you whilst doing training so I don't think passing this one by would be much of a loss - if you can afford to stay unemployed whilst on the job hunt.

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It all depends how much you need the money so only you can answer that one fully. Although seeing as you seem somewhat undecided I'm going to guess you don't have any immediate financial worries i.e bills, children to support etc.

Consider how much you'd be paid once they start paying you. If you could easily find a different job for that money you may as well find a different one. Expecting you to work for an indefinite amount of time unpaid sounds dodgy anyway.

You'll find companies that pay you whilst doing training so I don't think passing this one by would be much of a loss - if you can afford to stay unemployed whilst on the job hunt.

I'm 17, so I'm still living at home, so it's not like I need to money, just something to keep me occupied 

8 minutes ago, HenriDCFC said:

I'm 17, so I'm still living at home, so it's not like I need to money, just something to keep me occupied 

What money would they be giving you once you're allowed to work alone? Could you get that elsewhere?

When I was 17 I found plenty of ways to "occupy" myself. I still do to be honest... :ph34r:

I agree with Daveo I would ask them how long they expect the trial period to last for rather than leaving it totally open ended and open for abuse. I would also ask what training and support they will provide to you to get you to the required standard.  If they can't reasonably answer either of these 2 questions then I would bail.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

get yourself some transferable experience. Customer facing work in B&Q/Homebase etc would suit you better.

Good advice. This is much better to build your CV if you can get in at one of those places.

31 minutes ago, Cisse said:

GO.

You are 17 so take a backpack and travel for a year or so. You can drive taxi for the next 50 years.

This^ its great fun, easy as getting a job in aus/nz on a working holiday visa of you've not got enough cash to start

Archived