Tell us, what is The Derby Way?

Chris Mills

A few have mentioned this already, but it deserves a thread of it's own. We see it everywhere, in the press conferences, in our communications from the club, at the Fans Forum. So what actually is the Derby Way?

As Paddy Power put it as a joke "Is it winning a trophy every 30 years? Having a new manager every year? Having the lowest Premier League points total in history?". A joke on the surface, but more thought provoking than it first may seem.

What have we achieved since "The Derby Way" began? We're still in the same league as Forest, Leeds etc, all the teams we have a good laugh at, but are we any different to them? Very rich owner. Check. Owner takes a front seat role. Check. Spending millions and millions in an attempt to buy our way out of the league. Check. Managers in and out like a yoyo. Check.

Being sacked after a run of 7 games without a win, off the back of 2 draws. Is that the Derby Way? 

For me it has become a joke. How can any manager in the future buy into it? 

We're the laughing stock of the Championship. It's a crying shame after what seemed to be such a brilliant thing at first has ended up being a shadow over our heads.

The Derby way is thee normal way. After all, I'm not sure what we have actually done differently to any other club in this time?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chris Mills said:

A few have mentioned this already, but it deserves a thread of it's own. We see it everywhere, in the press conferences, in our communications from the club, at the Fans Forum. So what actually is the Derby Way?

As Paddy Power put it as a joke "Is it winning a trophy every 30 years? Having a new manager every year? Having the lowest Premier League points total in history?". A joke on the surface, but more thought provoking than it first may seem.

What have we achieved since "The Derby Way" began? We're still in the same league as Forest, Leeds etc, all the teams we have a good laugh at, but are we any different to them? Very rich owner. Check. Owner takes a front seat role. Check. Spending millions and millions in an attempt to buy our way out of the league. Check. Managers in and out like a yoyo. Check.

Being sacked after a run of 7 games without a win, off the back of 2 draws. Is that the Derby Way? 

For me it has become a joke. How can any manager in the future buy into it? 

We're the laughing stock of the Championship. It's a crying shame after what seemed to be such a brilliant thing at first has ended up being a shadow over our heads.

The Derby way is thee normal way. After all, I'm not sure what we have actually done differently to any other club in this time?

Despite all going off we are hardly the laughing stock. There are probably about 18 clubs below ya who would like to be in our position.

The recent Derby way is fast, aggressive, pressing attacking football that puts teams on the back foot. A blend of exciting youth and championship know-how. A likeable team that you enjoy supporting. 

This season has been none of those things.

Fact is we were better off at this point last season with no recognised DM and Martin injured. 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

The recent Derby way is fast, aggressive, pressing attacking football that puts teams on the back foot. A blend of exciting youth and championship know-how. A likeable team that you enjoy supporting. 

Fact is we were better off at this point last season with no recognised DM and Martin injured. 

The reason we were better off. As i say every day because i can't help myself he is the reason we struggle because Derby play for him and not vise virsa

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Despite all going off we are hardly the laughing stock. There are probably about 18 clubs below ya who would like to be in our position.

Are we not? I get lots of people taking the piss, "bottling it early this year" etc. 

The only difference is were a few league places higher than we were previously. Expected with the money spent, hardly through doing anything special is it?

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

The reason we were better off. As i say every day because i can't help myself he is the reason we struggle because Derby play for him and not vise virsa

Umm. How is that the reason we were better off last season? We collapsed as soon as he got injured. 

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Nonsense - you build a team around your key players. He is a key player for us and we play a system built around him. The reason he looks like he is doing nothing this season is because negative PC had the defence and midfield playing 10/15 yards further back than we should have been playing meaning there was huge gaps between him and others.

We played a 451 under Clement not a 433. Subtle difference but one that massively impacts Martin's stature in a game.

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

not attacking wise. Bent was scoring frequently and we were having a few 4-4 draws.

But we were top of the league with him in the team. As we were earlier this season. How on earth is Martin the cause of our problems? He's been ineffective recently due to  being completely isolated. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Nonsense - you build a team around your key players. He is a key player for us and we play a system built around him. The reason he looks like he is doing nothing this season is because negative PC had the defence and midfield playing 10/15 yards further back than we should have been playing meaning there was huge gaps between him and others.

We played a 451 under Clement not a 433. Subtle difference but one that massively impacts Martin's stature in a game.

We didn't build the team around ince or Johnson both not playing in their favoured position. Wiemann although not key is not a winger hes a striker. Warnock can't play that system he doesn't have the legs for it. 

Look I give Martin enough stick and i'm boring my self now! I am just unhappy with whats happened today and taking it out on Martin.

So lets get back on topic. is 4-3-3 the Derby way?

Go on Chrissy start scoring again i Love you really.

24 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Agreed and with £25 mil more in the bank

Archived