Would you have Steve McClaren back?

robglosta

Would you have Steve McClaren back?   

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, curtains said:

But ultimately he didn't do a good job. 

He left us in a mess. 

For once I agree with you Curtains. 

There is a big difference between doing a good job and playing good football. Middlesbrough are doing a good job but not the latter. 

In the end McClaren failed on getting a team that was as nailed on for promotion as you can possibly get in this league even to the playoffs. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chris Mills said:

There is a big difference between doing a good job and playing good football. Middlesbrough are doing a good job but not the latter. 

In the end McClaren failed on getting a team that was as nailed on for promotion as you can possibly get in this league even to the playoffs. 

Why would Mel and Sam want him out .

They had their reasons and I back their judgement.

Never heard all this stuff on Boxing Day did you when we were top of the league. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Nailed on until when? Until we lost 3 dm's, our 20 goal a season striker and defender. How did we do the season before without the key injuries?

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

But ultimately he didn't do a good job. 

He left us in a mess. 

Left us on a sour note, but we were a better team then before he came, attendances had increased, more money had been invested into the club and his success lead Mel Morris back to the club. 

3 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Nailed on until when? Until we lost 3 dm's, our 20 goal a season striker and defender. How did we do the season before without the key injuries?

He had the chance to go out and get a striker but instead opted for Russell in Martins role and brought in Albentosa for the defence who as fans we knew nothing about  

He could have got a loan in for the 3 injured DMs but chose not too. 

PS People fall out with each other in football that's why you have the manager merry go round  

Just now, curtains said:

He had the chance to go out and get a striker but instead opted for Russell in Martins role and brought in Albentosa gotr the defence who as fans we knew nothing about  

If Eric Steele is right then they didn't even want Albentosa. 

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

I remember someone hearing Steele moaning how they didn't need a defender, but should have gone for a striker. 

Well that may be true but they thought Albentosa was class. 

To be fair he did have a back injury which held him back ,

No pun intended

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

He had the chance to go out and get a striker but instead opted for Russell in Martins role and brought in Albentosa for the defence who as fans we knew nothing about  

PS People fall out with each other in football that's why you have the manager merry go round  

He didn't have the funds.

We'd already brought budgets forward.

24 minutes ago, Daveo said:

That is partially the managers fault for not changing the system then surely when we had no DMs remaining. Bent is also a 20 goal a season striker and scoring goals wasn't a problem in the latter part of the season. 

We had plenty of defensive cover so losing one defender is hardly a huge upset and if it is why did McClaren buy Albentosa if he wasn't good enough to cover even an injury let alone start? 

Not saying McClaren was bad for the club, he took us to heights we hadn't seen in a long long time but ultimately he failed and we have ended up becoming the laughing stock of the Championship, 2 seasons of which was down to him.  

1 minute ago, Chris Mills said:

That is partially the managers fault for not changing the system then surely when we had no DMs remaining. Bent is also a 20 goal a season striker and scoring goals wasn't a problem in the latter part of the season. 

We had plenty of defensive cover so losing one defender is hardly a huge upset and if it is why did McClaren buy Albentosa if he wasn't good enough to cover even an injury let alone start? 

Not saying McClaren was bad for the club, he took us to heights we hadn't seen in a long long time but ultimately he failed and we have ended up becoming the laughing stock of the Championship, 2 seasons of which was down to him.  

Of course, I'm not saying McClaren is blameless but you can't judge his entire tenure on the last 6 months. No plan B played apart but we also can't ignore the absolutely shocking defending and Grant howlers which you really can't blame McClaren for, at some point the players on the pitch need to take some responsibility. 

As for Albentosa he's not doing bad out in Spain again is he? Slightly unfair to have a pop at that, some players just don't adapt and struggle to settle in without their insoles. It's the risk you take when bringing in players abroad.

Was McClaren a failure? That really depends on what the targets were that was set before the season started. It's hard to imagine they said promotion is a must when replacing Clough and the contract extension tells me they were happy at the time.

A failure in the fans eyes because expectations were so high after that first season. You could say a failure for overachieving. 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

69.44 percent wouldn't have him back lets make it 70 .

Can I vote twice. 

Let's see if you can change your mind twice.... Oh wait 

6 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Of course, I'm not saying McClaren is blameless but you can't judge his entire tenure on the last 6 months. No plan B played apart but we also can't ignore the absolutely shocking defending and Grant howlers which you really can't blame McClaren for, at some point the players on the pitch need to take some responsibility. 

As for Albentosa he's not doing bad out in Spain again is he? Slightly unfair to have a pop at that, some players just don't adapt and struggle to settle in without their insoles. It's the risk you take when bringing in players abroad.

Was McClaren a failure? That really depends on what the targets were that was set before the season started. It's hard to imagine they said promotion is a must when replacing Clough and the contract extension tells me they were happy at the time.

A failure in the fans eyes because expectations were so high after that first season. You could say a failure for overachieving. 

Not saying Albentosa is bad, I think he would have been good for us. Hence why I used it as a counter to your argument that we lost a key defender. 

Players have to take responsibility yes but the whole point of having a manager is to get those players playing to their potential, otherwise we would just send the 11 players out and see what happens each game. Ultimately, performance lies on the managers head. 

I think it is completely reasonable to judge McClaren on the later stages of the season. That is the only time he was tested! As said before, everyone had us nailed on for going up, not just our own fans and the first time we ever suffered any real setbacks, where he should be earning his money (once again, anyone can pick a squad from ours when everyone is fit and expect to be up around the playoffs, even with no coaching badges) he failed. 

The target for the second season was definitely automatic promotion. We didn't make the playoffs. In any job in the world if you don't meet your targets it's a failure. Maybe not always down to just yourself but in the end you're the person who has to hold your hands up. That's why he has the job. 

Archived