Would you have Steve McClaren back?

robglosta

Would you have Steve McClaren back?   

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Not saying Albentosa is bad, I think he would have been good for us. Hence why I used it as a counter to your argument that we lost a key defender. 

Players have to take responsibility yes but the whole point of having a manager is to get those players playing to their potential, otherwise we would just send the 11 players out and see what happens each game. Ultimately, performance lies on the managers head. 

I think it is completely reasonable to judge McClaren on the later stages of the season. That is the only time he was tested! As said before, everyone had us nailed on for going up, not just our own fans and the first time we ever suffered any real setbacks, where he should be earning his money (once again, anyone can pick a squad from ours when everyone is fit and expect to be up around the playoffs, even with no coaching badges) he failed. 

The target for the second season was definitely automatic promotion. We didn't make the playoffs. In any job in the world if you don't meet your targets it's a failure. Maybe not always down to just yourself but in the end you're the person who has to hold your hands up. That's why he has the job. 

Who set that target of the automatics, I never heard anything come out of the club saying anything of the sort?

Just now, Daveo said:

Who set that target of the automatics, I never heard anything come out of the club saying anything of the sort?

Just one thing you might be forgetting .

Who sacked McClaren was it the fans or was it DCFC.  

DCFC had their reasons so this argument is defunct.

1 minute ago, Daveo said:

When we are favourites for promotion, fell at the final hurdle in the playoffs the previous season and have a squad like ours I think it's reasonable to assume that our target is automatic promotion. Are you suggesting that because Manchester City don't release their managers targets for the season they aren't expecting to be challenging for the top spot? 

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't think mcclaren did buy Albentosa 

the club bought Albentosa.

terrible signing.

Evans who was  appointed on the recommendation of McClaren right. 

But it's all defunct stuff now I mean who signed Steve Bloomer. 

Hope he's still watching. 

1 minute ago, Chris Mills said:

When we are favourites for promotion, fell at the final hurdle in the playoffs the previous season and have a squad like ours I think it's reasonable to assume that our target is automatic promotion. Are you suggesting that because Manchester City don't release their managers targets for the season they aren't expecting to be challenging for the top spot? 

Right so it's assumed, aka fan expectations.

I never expected the autos, don't think it was reasonable at all to expect them and I can't speak for the other 30k fans.

Should Clement be sacked if we don't make the autos this season? Is it reasonable to expect it given that most of McClaren's squad is still here plus £25m of players on top.

Actually shouldn't Clement be going one better and winning the league? Slightly unfair to give them both the same targets.

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I never expected the autos, don't think it was reasonable at all to expect them and I can't speak for the other 30k fans.

Should Clement be sacked if we don't make the autos this season? Is it reasonable to expect it given that most of McClaren's squad is still here plus £25m of players on top.

Actually shouldn't Clement be going one better and winning the league? Slightly unfair to give them both the same targets.

It's his first managerial job .

Thought we are building for the future now and I believe we are. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Evans who was  appointed on the recommendation of McClaren right. 

But it's all defunct stuff now I mean who signed Steve Bloomer. 

No i don't think evans was appointed on the recommendation of steve mcclaren.

the decision to split the responsibility for coaching and recruitment was made by sam rush.

schteve was brought into the selection process because obviously they needed to work together, but thats a lot different from saying that he recommended evans. The whole appointment was riddled with internal politics as evidenced by evans then appointing joe mcclaren as head of u21 recruitment. 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

No i don't think evans was appointed on the recommendation of steve mcclaren.

the decision to split the responsibility for coaching and recruitment was made by sam rush.

schteve was brought into the selection process because obviously they needed to work together, but thats a lot different from saying that he recommended evans. The whole appointment was riddled with internal politics as evidenced by evans then appointing joe mcclaren as head of u21 recruitment. 

He didn't object though did he. 

Just now, curtains said:

He didn't object though did he. 

Lol.....i don't think there was much he could do about it. I never got the impression that he was keen.

its a ridiculous division of responsibility. 

Management is all about the ability to recruit and build a team, yet we've got the same duff european scout plucking clagnuts out for the coach to work with.

Not just fans, the entire country but I'd say the assumption isn't too out there. I don't understand whether you honestly believe his target wasn't to get us promoted automatically or you are just playing the devils advocate. Do you honestly believe the target wouldn't be to improve on last year? To stagnate? To finish 6th when last year we finished 3rd?

No, he shouldn't be sacked. Mel Morris has said that we do not have to be promoted this season at the Fans Forum. 

Clement has never managed before so his targets are going to be different to a seasoned manager like Steve McClaren, once again, fair to assume. 

Yes or no answer, do you think that Steve McClaren was successful at Derby County?

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Lol.....i don't think there was much he could do about it. I never got the impression that he was keen.

its a ridiculous division of responsibility. 

Management is all about the ability to recruit and build a team, yet we've got the same duff european scout plucking clagnuts out for the coach to work with.

I don't know the ins and outs of that lol so I'll bow to your knowledge on this. 

Just now, Chris Mills said:

Not just fans, the entire country but I'd say the assumption isn't too out there. I don't understand whether you honestly believe his target wasn't to get us promoted automatically or you are just playing the devils advocate. Do you honestly believe the target wouldn't be to improve on last year? To stagnate? To finish 6th when last year we finished 3rd?

No, he shouldn't be sacked. Mel Morris has said that we do not have to be promoted this season at the Fans Forum. 

Clement has never managed before so his targets are going to be different to a seasoned manager like Steve McClaren, once again, fair to assume. 

Yes or no answer, do you think that Steve McClaren was successful at Derby County?

Come on you can't speak for the entire country, I'm simply separating fan expections from club targets set from the boardroom as both will be wildly apart.

Yes McClaren was successful at Derby, he turned this club from being mid table also rans with attendances dropping by the season into a club with a real buzz about the place, trip to Wembley and football to be excited about. Home attendances rocketed and started selling out away allocations.

He raised the bar which is why the levels of expectations are where they are today.

Would he be out of a job had the Newcastle speculation been handled better or never happened at all, we still didn't make the play offs with the same key injuries?...I think he may well have been which is why I think it's unfair to assume autos were the target. 

McClaren is a top coach,coming into a well run set up,and a good quality side,of coarse it was a success,the team was a solid unit.We has fans,wanted more investment in the squad,We got it in better quality loans,and a relaxing of the purse strings.in wages,As for recruitment the signings were poor,and in 2014/15 we splashed the cash on a loanee Thorne 2 million,after this the signings were poor,and the next level not acheived,.

As always recruitment is the key,The blame stops with the manager,with a head coach ,director of football,is key,

With Derby at the moment,a system in progress,I do not blame coaches for recruitment,the new system takes the player

recruitment.,away from the old style,of manager

Come on you can't speak for the entire country, I'm simply separating fan expections from club targets set from the boardroom as both will be wildly apart.

Yes McClaren was successful at Derby, he turned this club from being mid table also rans with attendances dropping by the season into a club with a real buzz about the place, trip to Wembley and football to be excited about. Home attendances rocketed and started selling out away allocations.

He raised the bar which is why the levels of expectations are where they are today.

Would he be out of a job had the Newcastle speculation been handled better or never happened at all, we still didn't make the play offs with the same key injuries?...I think he may well have been which is why I think it's unfair to assume autos were the target. 

Fair point, he was successful in aspects yes. Results wise in the second season I would argue he wasn't successful. Bearing in mind the second season accounts for 2/3 of his time at Derby it's difficult to imagine from a results orientated perspective the board were happy with McClarens tenure. 

I can speak from general concensus from the start of that season on here, at the bookies, talking to other football fans (non-Derby supporting), the fact that people have a good laugh at us now. I'd say that's a good indicator of what the majority of people expected from Derby that season. 

Archived