The ones that got away...

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Not something he'd be acused of nowadays....

mick-quinn-857991532.jpg

"Hes fat, hes round, he scores at every ground Mikey Quinn" so sang the Coventry fans

Yakubu is one who got away. Smithy tried to sign him but work permit did not allow at the time.

6 minutes ago, Rams1884 said:

"Hes fat, hes round, he scores at every ground Mikey Quinn" so sang the Coventry fans

Yakubu is one who got away. Smithy tried to sign him but work permit did not allow at the time.

If my memory serves me right, we had him at Derby for a few months training, while he was waiting to get married to a European girl that would have allowed him a work permit. I remember we were desperately trying to keep him under wraps. In the meantime he went back to Israel where he was playing, scored a Champions League hattrick and alerted the world to him. Instead of coming to Derby he signed for Harry Redknapp at Pompey for about £4 million. 

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

If my memory serves me right, we had him at Derby for a few months training, while he was waiting to get married to a European girl that would have allowed him a work permit. I remember we were desperately trying to keep him under wraps. In the meantime he went back to Israel where he was playing, scored a Champions League hattrick and alerted the world to him. Instead of coming to Derby he signed for Harry Redknapp at Pompey for about £4 million. 

Version of the story I remember is when we thought we were paying £Xm for him, then his agent wanted the same again for himself.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Version of the story I remember is when we thought we were paying £Xm for him, then his agent wanted the same again for himself.

should be able to find out in the next few days from the horses mouth. Not Yakubu obviously, but someone involved in the transfer negotiations. 

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

The attempt to sign yakubu was under john gregory i recall not jim smith.

Yeah Jim Smith was Redknapps assistant at Pompey. Wasn't the rumour at the time; Billy Mckewan mentioned Yakubu to Jim Smith and they stole in and signed him at the last minute and that Billy got sacked. Probably not true but I beleve that was doing the rounds at the time. 

Me. Not sure how it happened but even though I was demonstrating my sublime skills in many local teams, Derby let me get away. Being a striker, it's their loss obviously, seeing as we can't buy a goal recently. 

Mel - I own boots and shin pads, am available on Saturdays and have scored as many goals for Derby as Blackman and Camara combined. And as many goals as Martin, Weimann and Russell in 2016. Gizza job.

Archived