The ones that got away...

Bridgford Ram

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Yeah Jim Smith was Redknapps assistant at Pompey. Wasn't the rumour at the time; Billy Mckewan mentioned Yakubu to Jim Smith and they stole in and signed him at the last minute and that Billy got sacked. Probably not true but I beleve that was doing the rounds at the time. 

Interesting.

i hadn't heard that, but i do seem to remember that he won his claim for unfair dismissal and had to be reinstated.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Interesting.

i hadn't heard that, but i do seem to remember that he won his claim for unfair dismissal and had to be reinstated.

I was literally 12 at the time!  So might not be the most reliable of sources from my memory bank. But I am sure I have heard it mentioned by others down the years. Apparently John Gregory found out about it and sacked Mckewen. I can't remember him being reinstated, so I guess it could fit as an actual story if he was. True or not it really would have been great to have had Yakubu back then. 

16 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I have just heard an interview with Russell Osman (Ipswich & England) and it turns out his dad played for Derby, Osman was born in Repton and watched / supported Derby as a kid.  Despite this he signed for Ipswich and made his debut in 1976 when we were still at the top.

I also know that both Mickey Quinn and Alan Cork were apprentices at Derby before going on to decent careers elsewhere.

Does anyone know of any others that got away, or the stories behind how Osman, Quinn or Cork slipped away?

Don't know about Russell but I wish we could have kept Leon.

6 hours ago, Ramos said:

I was literally 12 at the time!  So might not be the most reliable of sources from my memory bank. But I am sure I have heard it mentioned by others down the years. Apparently John Gregory found out about it and sacked Mckewen. I can't remember him being reinstated, so I guess it could fit as an actual story if he was. True or not it really would have been great to have had Yakubu back then. 

Not saying that the McKewan/Smith conversation didn't happen but my memory is that we tried to get a work permit for him after a short trial, and failed.  And then were mightily upset that Portsmouth took him on and subsequently got a permit

That might just be why Billy won his internal appeal - if Yakubu was a free agent

Archived