Are you excited about tonight's game

Boycie

Up for it?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

and its all gone quiet all gone quiet all gone quiet over there.........

i was going to say that I hate to say I told you so, but I don't, I love it.

Are you really saying that a well struck but offside goal against a side that Burnley and Birmingham City beat more convincingly is conclusive proof that Wayne Rooney is the greatest striker ever to play for England? I’d say he’s a decent top division striker, but nowhere near world class.

If we’re talking England strikers then I’d say that Franny Lee, Charlie George and Kevin Hector were all better. OK, that could have a little bias, but I’d also argue that from the strikers I’ve seen play that Bobby Charlton, Mick Channon, Paul Mariner, Malcolm MacDonald, Kevin Keegan, Trevor Francis, Teddy Sheringham, Peter Beardsley, Stan Collymore (spit), Gary Lineker, Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler were all better players. From their reputations, Steve Bloomer, Nat Lofthouse, Tom Finney and Tommy Lawton were probably also superior to Rooney.

Rooney only has the record because he’s been around at a time when England has produced few decent strikers, so he has been selected a lot at a time when England have pleasure to play against San Marino, The Faroe Islands and Malta. He’s failed miserably in every major competition.

6 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Are you really saying that a well struck but offside goal against a side that Burnley and Birmingham City beat more convincingly is conclusive proof that Wayne Rooney is the greatest striker ever to play for England? I’d say he’s a decent top division striker, but nowhere near world class.

If we’re talking England strikers then I’d say that Franny Lee, Charlie George and Kevin Hector were all better. OK, that could have a little bias, but I’d also argue that from the strikers I’ve seen play that Bobby Charlton, Mick Channon, Paul Mariner, Malcolm MacDonald, Kevin Keegan, Trevor Francis, Teddy Sheringham, Peter Beardsley, Stan Collymore (spit), Gary Lineker, Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler were all better players. From their reputations, Steve Bloomer, Nat Lofthouse, Tom Finney and Tommy Lawton were probably also superior to Rooney.

Rooney only has the record because he’s been around at a time when England has produced few decent strikers, so he has been selected a lot at a time when England have pleasure to play against San Marino, The Faroe Islands and Malta. He’s failed miserably in every major competition.

Rooneys goal was superb last night but i guess that's what you expect from the greatest ever English striker who has scored more international goals than any other English person ever in the history of the game and is just about to break Bobby Charltons record for amount of goals playing for the biggest football club in the world. 

As for all the "small" teams Rooney has scored his goals against...take a look at the team that Charlton and Lineker got theirs against..! 

And failed miserably on every tournament he has done as well as the whole team in all of them....except for in Portugal where he was arguably the player of the tournament and if it wasn't for his injury....

14 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Rooneys goal was superb last night but i guess that's what you expect from the greatest ever English striker who has scored more international goals than any other English person ever in the history of the game and is just about to break Bobby Charltons record for amount of goals playing for the biggest football club in the world. 

As for all the "small" teams Rooney has scored his goals against...take a look at the team that Charlton and Lineker got theirs against..! 

And failed miserably on every tournament he has done as well as the whole team in all of them....except for in Portugal where he was arguably the player of the tournament and if it wasn't for his injury....

He has scored one goal in 11 World Cup finals matches !

Is that a quality international striker who can come up with the goals when the pressure is on ?

Plus Bobby Charlton was a midfielder,

have we really lacked that much up front in 45 years ?

plus Cornwall what about Shearer ? He was a slow starter but he was quality, loved watching England when he was playing ! Especially with tap in teddy! Quality partnership, stand out game as England v Holland in Euro 96 !

9 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Is that a quality international striker who can come up with the goals when the pressure is on ?

plus Cornwall what about Shearer ? He was a slow starter but he was quality, loved watching England when he was playing ! Especially with tap in teddy! Quality partnership, stand out game as England v Holland in Euro 96 !

Ronaldo has scored 3 in 13, Messi 5 in 15....so is Wayne that far behind them? (the best couple of players in history lets not forget)

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Ronaldo has scored 3 in 13, Messi 5 in 15....so is Wayne that far behind them? (the best couple of players in history lets not forget)

Muller 13 in 14 for Germany, may not be the best player in history but could score in World Cup finals when the pressure was on, Wayne is a mile off his sort of class !

55 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

He was very good at holding his arm up

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Muller 13 in 14 for Germany, may not be the best player in history but could score in World Cup finals when the pressure was on, Wayne is a mile off his sort of class !

I think he may just have played for a better team than Wayne has unfortunately....much like Martin can't score without the service around him. 

Rooney is one of the best players of his generation and definitely without doubt the greatest goalscorer in English international football ever and soon to be the greatest goalscorer for the biggest club in the world. You just don't get to be those two things without being world class. 

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I think he may just have played for a better team than Wayne has unfortunately....much like Martin can't score without the service around him. 

Rooney is one of the best players of his generation and definitely without doubt the greatest goalscorer in English international football ever and soon to be the greatest goalscorer for the biggest club in the world. You just don't get to be those two things without being world class. 

So were beckham lampard scholes and Gerard didn't do much for our national team though muespach if your class you can do it at any level including the top level !

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

So were beckham lampard scholes and Gerard didn't do much for our national team though muespach if your class you can do it at any level including the top level !

Exactly...only one of those you mentioned was world class. 

How many world cups have Messj won? The best player in history.

how many world cups has Robaldo won?

how many world cups did Geordie Hagi win?

How many world cups did Figo win? Stoikoch? (Sorry for the spelling? George weah? etc etc

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

How many world cups did Figo win? Stoikoch? (Sorry for the spelling? George weah? etc etc

Pele is the best player in history in my opinion muespach and he scored 77 goals in 91 games and 3 world cups, different gravy to rooney

Brazil national football team All-Time Leading Scorer, 77 goals.[165]

Intercontinental Cup: All-Time Leading Scorer: 7 goals

World record number of hat-trick: 92[166]

International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS): World´s most successful Top Division Goal Scorer: 541 goals[167]

Guinness World Records: Most career goals (football): 1283 goals in 1363 games[168]

Guinness World Records: Most FIFA World Cup Winners’ Medals[168]

Youngest scorer in the FIFA World Cup: 17 years and 239 days (Brazil v Wales 1958)[47][169]

Youngest hat-trick in the FIFA World Cup: 17 years and 244 days (Brazil v France 1958)[169]

Youngest player to play in a FIFA World Cup final match: 17 years and 249 days (Brazil v Sweden 1958)

Youngest scorer in the FIFA World Cup final match: 17 years and 249 days (Brazil v Sweden 1958)

Youngest winner of a FIFA World Cup: 17 years in 1958 FIFA World Cup[170]

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Pele is the best player in history in my opinion muespach and he scored 77 goals in 91 games and 3 world cups, different gravy to rooney

Brazil national football team All-Time Leading Scorer, 77 goals.[165]

Intercontinental Cup: All-Time Leading Scorer: 7 goals

World record number of hat-trick: 92[166]

International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS): World´s most successful Top Division Goal Scorer: 541 goals[167]

Guinness World Records: Most career goals (football): 1283 goals in 1363 games[168]

Guinness World Records: Most FIFA World Cup Winners’ Medals[168]

Youngest scorer in the FIFA World Cup: 17 years and 239 days (Brazil v Wales 1958)[47][169]

Youngest hat-trick in the FIFA World Cup: 17 years and 244 days (Brazil v France 1958)[169]

Youngest player to play in a FIFA World Cup final match: 17 years and 249 days (Brazil v Sweden 1958)

Youngest scorer in the FIFA World Cup final match: 17 years and 249 days (Brazil v Sweden 1958)

Youngest winner of a FIFA World Cup: 17 years in 1958 FIFA World Cup[170]

Nothing on Messi, nothing at all. 

I didn't say Rloney was the best player in the works though. I said he was world class and the greatest English goalscorer ever. 

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You need to hit the gym. Chubby fingers

40 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Nothing on Messi, nothing at all. 

I didn't say Rloney was the best player in the works though. I said he was world class and the greatest English goalscorer ever. 

If you took him out of his Spanish comfort zone I think you would see a different player ? Couldn't see him playing at his best on a cold rainy January Sunday evening in Manchester ! Lol

Archived