George Thorne

Derbyram1

Ok so I'm ready for the backlash but here goes!

Firstly I'm a huge fan of GT but his recent performances and general fitness are a big concern. We are quick to blame Martin when he's not at his best but GT always gets left alone.

He dithers on the ball and often loses it, his passing is nothing special and as a CDM he is meant to protect the back 4 which he didn't do tonight. Watch the deflected goal again and watch him trudge back after his man when he should of been in front of the back 4 stopping him. 

Perhaps it's time to sacrifice a CDM for an extra striker?!? Something is clearly wrong, conceding 7 in 2 games is alarming especially when we have only scored 1. 

Sorry to rant, it's late and I'm falling out of love with football.....coyr ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defensively one of his poorest games, in the first half when they offered little, one of their best moves was when one of their midfielders found himself in acres (thorne no way in sight).... there was a huge huge gap between the midfield and our defenders, essentially they had a 4 on 4. just outside the penalty area.

A bigger worry for me, is Martin and the CF position, having someone who can play that position well allows us the extra man in midfield which allows us to control possession... but with no threat in the final 3rd, thats what cost us tonight. We would have been out of sight at half time with better forward play.

Just like last year Martins absence has a massive effect on the team. ( I know he is not absent on the field) just in his performances. Until we are threatning enough to control possesion and score first, then i can see tough tough times ahead.

you are spot on about thorn we where under the cosh against middlesborough  and when he went off injured and hendrick came on the game changed in our favour dont know if anyone else noticed it but we got much faster ball through the middle and up until pc changing it i the last 10 minutes we were playing well. he had to many touches on the ball tonight for me and not enough fast balls forward a little bit robbie savageesque i thought who as we know was a good ball winner but never played athrough ball in his entire carreer

This is a cuckoo thread. He's the only player we have that looks like a dead cert premier league player playing in the wrong division. He played extremely well last night, he won the ball over and over, he sprayed the ball around, and when he lost the odd ball he got it back. It's no wonder he's being linked to Everton and 3 other premier league clubs.  You're grasping at straws here.

5 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Ok so I'm ready for the backlash but here goes!

Firstly I'm a huge fan of GT but his recent performances and general fitness are a big concern. We are quick to blame Martin when he's not at his best but GT always gets left alone.

He dithers on the ball and often loses it, his passing is nothing special and as a CDM he is meant to protect the back 4 which he didn't do tonight. Watch the deflected goal again and watch him trudge back after his man when he should of been in front of the back 4 stopping him. 

Perhaps it's time to sacrifice a CDM for an extra striker?!? Something is clearly wrong, conceding 7 in 2 games is alarming especially when we have only scored 1. 

Sorry to rant, it's late and I'm falling out of love with football.....coyr ?

You cant just blame 1 man tho you have to look at the whole squad they are shocking chistie ince blackman johnson thorne and martin should be all replaced try and make place fight for there spots again like how we used to make plays do too many players already got there place in the next game 

Ridiculous thread.

Burnley scored 3 goals without registering a meaningful shot on target. How you can blame Thorne for any of this is beyond me. I texted my brother at half time to say how utterly immense Thorne was in the first half. He was a big part of the reason we were so dominant.

55 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

On the ball he was decent, off it he was poor last night. Sold himself for the first too easy allowing them to get an easy cross in and his recovery on our 4th is disappointing. Not what we've come to expect. 

Ah, yeah. The little skip for their first was a bit pathetic. Dunno why players do that. Same as running around with their arms in the air appealing for stuff or putting hands behind their back when defending a cross. Man up ffs.

But thought he contributed far more good than bad. Thought him and Butterfield bossed it. Just their partner isn't even reading from the same book never mind on the same page. How bad can he get before being left out??

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ah, yeah. The little skip for their first was a bit pathetic. Dunno why players do that. Same as running around with their arms in the air appealing for stuff or putting hands behind their back when defending a cross. Man up ffs.

But thought he contributed far more good than bad. Thought him and Butterfield bossed it. Just their partner isn't even reading from the same book never mind on the same page. How bad can he get before being left out??

To me Johnson is the problem in midfield. Looks like we have paid big money for a player in a last minute sale and thought we would work it out once he was our player. It's not working very well. The position we have Johnson playing in doesn't fit him well. He isn't a good " footballer" in the sense that Hughes or Butterfield are. He is more of an oomph get stuck in player which our style of play does not warrant. I hope to be proved wrong about him but it looks like a mistake buying him. 

In this team I prefer Bryson right now to come in and play alongside Thorne and Butterfield. 

11 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

To me Johnson is the problem in midfield. Looks like we have paid big money for a player in a last minute sale and thought we would work it out once he was our player. It's not working very well. The position we have Johnson playing in doesn't fit him well. He isn't a good " footballer" in the sense that Hughes or Butterfield are. He is more of an oomph get stuck in player which our style of play does not warrant. I hope to be proved wrong about him but it looks like a mistake buying him. 

In this team I prefer Bryson right now to come in and play alongside Thorne and Butterfield. 

That Norwich fan did say that he's not really a center mid for a passing team. He liked him on the wing where his shooting, strength and harassment of defenders got him poty. 

Think you're right. Buying him was an opportunity rather than an identified target. Like Bent, Weimann and Blackman really. 

In a side like Burnley or Ipswich he'd probably shine bright. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That Norwich fan did say that he's not really a center mid for a passing team. He liked him on the wing where his shooting, strength and harassment of defenders got him poty. 

Think you're right. Buying him was an opportunity rather than an identified target. Like Bent, Weimann and Blackman really. 

In a side like Burnley or Ipswich he'd probably shine bright. 

When he was at Leeds and Norwich he played left midfield mainly in a 4-4-2 formation. Linked up really well with Hoolahan.

Cant see Paul Clement playing 4-4-2 though... Or? 

58 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Ridiculous thread.

Burnley scored 3 goals without registering a meaningful shot on target. How you can blame Thorne for any of this is beyond me. I texted my brother at half time to say how utterly immense Thorne was in the first half. He was a big part of the reason we were so dominant.

Ridiculous thread?? Why?? I am expressing my opinion and wondered if anyone felt the same way.

Anyway, as I said I am a big fan of GT but just feel he's not been up to the standard we know he can be......a statement which GT has said publicly himself.

8 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

When he was at Leeds and Norwich he played left midfield mainly in a 4-4-2 formation. Linked up really well with Hoolahan.

Hope not!! Might suit Johnson but it won't suit Thorne or Butterfield or Bryson or Hendrick. All very much stronger in one discipline than the other. 

Dunno what to do with him. Just that Savage performance last night was a big contribution to why we lost. Three or four players constantly undid a lot of good work last night. Johnson  has been doing it a bit too much lately. Won't be upset to see someone else step in. I like him but he's not on it right now and he's making a negative contribution. Time to sit out and hopefully come back stronger?

It's a ridiculous thread (in my opinion etc) because if Keogh and Shackell hadn't made individual errors last night it wouldn't exist. Perhaps the first goal is partly attributable to Thorne (I originally thought it was Blackman who put in the weak challenge) but to pick out the most influential player of the first half as a weak link is just weird.

Problem is we concede too many goals, and don't score enough. Thorne is a midfielder, albeit a defensive one, but still, I'd be looking at the strikers and the defenders before pointing the finger at George. 

Confidence is a huge issue for us at the moment, and after dominating the first half, going in at 1-1 was always going to leave us fragile, and that showed when they got the second. We just collapsed for ten minutes and that was that, we had nowhere to go from there. 

It would be nice to see us take the lead in a game.

24 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

We went 4-4-2 last night when Tom Ince came off. Where we stretched them a lot more defensively but we were left with our back 2 exposed. It was the most attacking I've seen Derby play, especially crosses which we always seemed to avoid before yesterday

Archived