George Thorne

Derbyram1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A real example of how we all see it differently. From day one I have felt GT has been hugely over rated or indeed played in the wrong place in the wrong formation. Yes he can look good on the ball jogging around in front of the back four tippy tappying it about forever passing it back and sideways, he gets in this nothing position that rarely influences play. Our midfield needs to play in their half of the pitch, Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes any day.

Nigel, is that you? That's a very weak midfield. Thorne is a defensive midfielder who makes more tackles than Eustace did. He also happens to have passing, dribbling and shooting ability to go with it. It's not his job to be creating chances, we have two advanced midfielders and three forwards who need to increase their output. Thorne seems to be a victim of his own success judging by some on this thread.

1 hour ago, CBE said:

A real example of how we all see it differently. From day one I have felt GT has been hugely over rated or indeed played in the wrong place in the wrong formation. Yes he can look good on the ball jogging around in front of the back four tippy tappying it about forever passing it back and sideways, he gets in this nothing position that rarely influences play. Our midfield needs to play in their half of the pitch, Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes any day.

Here's were you lose all credibility.

I thought Thorne played a lot better last night, the main question should be do we need a defensive midfielder all the time?  We need to win the ball in midfield with options to pass quickly and accurately, Thorne could easily help the team where Johnson has been standing! In fact we really have a six million pound pudding/question.

I thought he played well, for anyone to be saying they would prefer eustace, whilst they have their opinion, in my opinion is madness

29 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

It's alright saying he doesn't release the ball fast enough.. but if there's no movement ahead of him, then he has no option to do this.

If no one moves, he gets closed down, and one of two things happen - he loses it, or he is forced backwards. Fortunately, most of the time, its the latter.

This….We don't have the movement we used too, I feel this is largely down to tactics and confidence. However you can see when Thorne get's the ball he usually looks up for a forward pass, but see's it's not on and has to go sideways or back. 

I imagine this leads to him being increasingly cautious with his forward passing (which creates a vicious circle), as he doesn't want to lose the ball, hence why we often see the trio of Thorne, Shack and Keogh passing amongst themselves whilst the opposition sits back and get's themselves into their defensive positions to shut up shop.  

5 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Ridiculous thread.

Burnley scored 3 goals without registering a meaningful shot on target. How you can blame Thorne for any of this is beyond me. I texted my brother at half time to say how utterly immense Thorne was in the first half. He was a big part of the reason we were so dominant.

Thorne was at fault for the first goal, he turned his back on the ball and waved a lazy leg at it like you tell a 7 year old not to do but people are blinded by this because after all its George Thorne and he is the best player in the league etc etc..

Can't blame thorne, I admit that little camp jump before the first was quite bad but keogh still should have dealt with it a lot better. Other than that bossed the first half. Maybe a bit too much is put on george after all it's like playing with a two man midfield with BJ god knows what has happened to him 

• 2 weeks later...

There was an interesting radio discussion last week about recurrent injuries  -  particularly hamstrings , calfs, etc and Warnock recalled a Forest sufferer being whistled across the river unbeknown to Cloughie to be examined by the Notts County Physio who had unusual theories. He diagnosed a back problem and manipulated it 3 times during the week and the player had no further problems.  The conversation came out of discussing Daniel Sturridge..........nephew of

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Bad side

our own hamstring sufferer.      How has Thorne got a bad side???

Archived