Oh Brad.....

drgoodspeak

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Individual quality I agree.

Collectively they aren't so good.

First half yesterday we did ok if not totally fluent. 

Birmingham huffed and puffed in that first half. 

Second half we got undone by 2 bad goals and then Clement put 3 Subs on to no effect at all.  

The 3rd goal was poor defending down out left flank and an amazing shot.

Bradley Johnson put in a great header which their goalie somehow clawed away. 

It just wasn't our day and credit to Birmingham. 

Same with Reading they also played well 2nd half against us  

That's Football but we will come back stronger from this  

Just now, curtains said:

First half yesterday we did ok if not totally fluent. 

Birmingham huffed and puffed in that first half. 

Second half we got undone by 2 bad goals and then Clement put 3 Subs on to no effect at all.  

The 3rd goal was poor defending down out left flank and an amazing shot.

Bradley Johnson put in a great header which their goalie somehow clawed away. 

It just wasn't our day and credit to Birmingham. 

Same with Reading they also played well 2nd half against us  

That's Football but we will come back stronger from this  

What are you smoking?

5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

What are you smoking?

See you do just want to slag the team off .

Go on tell us what you would do instead of slagging DCFC off by using inane insults  

Rowett is a good manager and he did a job on Derby yesterday like we did on Hull. 

You have no devine right to win games in the Championship. 

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Derby have more problems than Martin or Johnson out of form. 

This.

Whilst Butterfield is quite clearly in better form than Johnson (and should play instead of him) and Blackman might score a couple more goals than Martin does playing up-front, those two changes alone won't make us a good side. Clement needs to work out why we've become so easy to play against and rectify it rather than simply tinkering with the side and telling the press that we didn't play very well.

Wasn't like the Hull game. 

vs Hull, Derby were the better side and went 2-0 up. Then sat on it and played on the counter

vs Brum, Brum went 1-0 up. Then looked more likely to score again. Then went 3-0 up and looked more likely to score again.  They didn't play on the counter, they blitzed us.

Slag the team off? 

Weren't you criticising when we were winning most weeks?

I'm criticising because some of the stuff going wrong is really worrying. Every attack has turned into and individual effort. Dribble until you're blocked, pass repeat. There's no partnerships beyond the defenders.

No telepathic understanding. 

Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Dawkins, Ward, Forsyth, Eustace, Wisdom, Russell

Right there, you can pair them off with each other.  

Whether it was Forsyth overlapping as Dawkins or Ward came inside to exchange with Martin. Hughes going wide to link up with Russell, Hughes, Hendrick/Bryson and Eustace/Thorne having the balanced staggered 3 midfielders. Bryson getting beyond Martin pulling the CB's back so Martin could turn. Bryson and Hendrick both offering a distraction to free Martin.

Defensively... not so great. But it was a good entertaining team. The players we have now are better. But there are no partnerships.

No good trying to say everything is ok now when criticising when we were actually playing ok. 

We've not become a bad team over a week. But we have relied a lot on individual brilliance. Instead of partnerships developing as the season goes on, they appear to be deteriorating. Hence people questioning Johnson here, Martin there, Ince, Russell, Warnock and so on. 

The movement yesterday was miles apart between the two teams. And v Reading. And Boro. Miles. Whatever the score. 

I never really moaned at the end of last season. I don't care about promotion  as much as most so the league table doesn't really hurt me that much. I can't tolerate selfish, arrogant and lazy football though. Rather watch Ipswich than that. 

And the last 2 games have been so fooking stupid

I mean the first Brum goal.. I think it started with someone hitting a high ball to Russell. He's 3ft tall. Is this for fooking real?

Stupid football. Selfish football and casual football. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wasn't like the Hull game. 

vs Hull, Derby were the better side and went 2-0 up. Then sat on it and played on the counter

vs Brum, Brum went 1-0 up. Then looked more likely to score again. Then went 3-0 up and looked more likely to score again.  They didn't play on the counter, they blitzed us.

Slag the team off? 

Weren't you criticising when we were winning most weeks?

I'm criticising because some of the stuff going wrong is really worrying. Every attack has turned into and individual effort. Dribble until you're blocked, pass repeat. There's no partnerships beyond the defenders.

No telepathic understanding. 

Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Dawkins, Ward, Forsyth, Eustace, Wisdom, Russell

Right there, you can pair them off with each other.  

Whether it was Forsyth overlapping as Dawkins or Ward came inside to exchange with Martin. Hughes going wide to link up with Russell, Hughes, Hendrick/Bryson and Eustace/Thorne having the balanced staggered 3 midfielders. Bryson getting beyond Martin pulling the CB's back so Martin could turn. Bryson and Hendrick both offering a distraction to free Martin.

Defensively... not so great. But it was a good entertaining team. The players we have now are better. But there are no partnerships.

No good trying to say everything is ok now when criticising when we were actually playing ok. 

We've not become a bad team over a week. But we have relied a lot on individual brilliance. Instead of partnerships developing as the season goes on, they appear to be deteriorating. Hence people questioning Johnson here, Martin there, Ince, Russell, Warnock and so on. 

The movement yesterday was miles apart between the two teams. And v Reading. And Boro. Miles. Whatever the score. 

I never really moaned at the end of last season. I don't care about promotion  as much as most so the league table doesn't really hurt me that much. I can't tolerate selfish, arrogant and lazy football though. Rather watch Ipswich than that. 

And the last 2 games have been so fooking stupid

I mean the first Brum goal.. I think it started with someone hitting a high ball to Russell. He's 3ft tall. Is this for fooking real?

Stupid football. Selfish football and casual football. 

You are damned when you do and you are damned when you don't. 

Who passed this high ball down the line to Russell and did he chicken out  

50 minutes ago, curtains said:

You are damned when you do and you are damned when you don't. 

Who passed this high ball down the line to Russell and did he chicken out  

Think it was a cross field ball to the edge of the box that wasn't on.

Don't think he did. He's not normally shy. Got to question the intelligence of hanging a ball 15ft in the sky for somebody who's 5ft 6 and in a congested area. 

But shouldn't really be picking out individual players or moments. The whole team isn't playing as a unit imo. 

Too many glory hunters. Too many touches. Too many hitting a pass and not caring about happens after its left his foot. 

Just now, Rampage said:

Excellent post alpha. Try playing Johnson in his preferred position alongside other players in their natural playing positions and see what happens after four games. It will not be solved overnight.

What is his natural position though?  And even then it's not so much about positions as style of play.  Johnson is nowhere near good enough on the ball to play in a team that's trying to play possession football, so we either need to abandon possession football and be more direct and physical (which will entail buying a load more players) or we drop Johnson.  You can make the same argument about Shackell, Bent and Weimann as well (and probably others).  

There's seemingly no thought gone into our transfers this season at all - no plan as to how they would all play together, and I'm not even sure whoever was buying them even had an idea what our style of play was going to be this season.  And quite frankly having watched it for half a season, I've still got no idea what our style of play is supposed to be.

Clement as I see it, wanted to play safety first football. He hates losing games. So do I. His defence was to be bolstered by the whole team. When we attack we were supposed to keep possession until it opened up and a skillful player would score a goal. Then we were to tighten up and wait until we hopefully scored another goal. So winning by one or two goals without reply and getting promoted was the first aim, then buy better players. It WAS working, now it is not. When Johnson and Shackell and Weimann arrived it was to fit that system.It worked for half a season. We stopped losing when Johnson arrived. We need to go back to it or work towards another season in the Championship. I do not want good football. I want promotion. If we can get good football later on then that is ideal.

The problem is that teams have realised that you can just stand someone near Thorne and the passing dries up, and since we don't get forward in numbers, you can just double up on the isolated forwards and crowd them out.  It might not be as simple as just doing what we were doing and we start winning again.

Archived