Derby County v Birmingham City.

Boycie

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

No fullback stops every cross - that's just impossible. Responsibility for conceding the goal rested squarely with Johnson and Russell, one ducking out of a challenge while the other stood motionless, gawping as the ball came over.

Difficult one as they both Russell and Johnson left it for each other.

You could argue that Grant doesn't come for crosses  although not in that particular case  

I try to be fair to Rams players and only 11 can play at any one time on the field. 

Russell has had a fair run of games and Martin certainly has so let's see how Clement goes tomorrow 

I'm just giving a point of view right or wrong .

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

I like the idea of Hanson playing but only instead of Thorne not as well as !

Two defensively-minded midfielder doesn't seem to be a problem at Boro? With Hanson alongside it gives Thorne a bit more freedom to move into more forward positions than has been the case so far this season

Just now, curtains said:

What was it m8 sorry

Why you put Baird in your starting lineups instead Christie? Christie doing fine this season and don't deserve to drop tbh. 

7 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I think the biggest issue is that can we play 4-3-3 effective without Martin? Martin has been out of form recently, but if we drop him do we have to change formation? We saw on Tuesday that the 4-2-3-1 wasn't as effective, so we switch formation a drop Martin? 

Interesting that many feel we played 4-2-3-1 against Reading because for the life of me I couldn't see any contribution to the midfield from Ince, Russell or Blackman.

We were one short where it mattered most and Reading sussed us out within the first 10 minutes.

Oh how we are missing Will ?

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Two defensively-minded midfielder doesn't seem to be a problem at Boro? With Hanson alongside it gives Thorne a bit more freedom to move into more forward positions than has been the case so far this season

I think if your going to play to defensively minded midfielders in your line up , Butterfield would have to operate as a "number 10" 

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Why you put Baird in your starting lineups instead Christie? Christie doing fine this season and don't deserve to drop tbh. 

It's one of them as Craig Ramage would say and your right he doesn't deserve to be dropped but maybe you could say that about lots of players .

You have to mix and match as its a squad game and players have to accept when they are not playing they need to show the manager what they can do when they get the chance. 

You could argue Baird has had limited opportunities and just got on with it. 

No player can knock on the managers door after the Reading game can they really although I thought the tactics were wrong also In that  game. 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Interesting that many feel we played 4-2-3-1 against Reading because for the life of me I couldn't see any contribution to the midfield from Ince, Russell or Blackman.

We were one short where it mattered most and Reading sussed us out within the first 10 minutes.

Oh how we are missing Will ?

The biggest problem was that we didn't have a true holding midfielder in that game. Johnson got out of position to much and made silly tackles and Butterfield isn't very effective defensively meaning that Reading just cut through our midfield through every attack. 

Other players like Martin and Russell also deserve to take stick as they could barely hold onto possession meaning that all the pressure went straight back onto the midfield and defence. 

12 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

The biggest problem was that we didn't have a true holding midfielder in that game. Johnson got out of position to much and made silly tackles and Butterfield isn't very effective defensively meaning that Reading just cut through our midfield through every attack. 

Other players like Martin and Russell also deserve to take stick as they could barely hold onto possession meaning that all the pressure went straight back onto the midfield and defence. 

This is true  but the manager got it wrong IMO only having 2 what you would class as midfielders and then putting Hendrick on as a substitute which was ok but then taking off another in Johnson.

ie leaving us still short in midfield.

Clement will sort it as he's technically a good manager. 

"It's a funny old game " as. Jimmy Greaves used to say. 

Hope the players are up for it tomorrow. 

As lots are saying we are 3rd in the league and having a good season with a new manager in his first season as a manager  

Not a clue what everyone's on about but I think in a 4-2-3-1, the middle of the three (AM) is vital. It's easy to chuck someone like Ince in there, as he'll always look dangerous around the box, but then it throws the whole balance off in the middle of the pitch. I actually think someone like Butterfield would be more effective there for the team as a whole. 

The middle player in the three (AM) needs to be disciplined, float around the final third and most importantly, link with the two in midfield behind him. 

Ince would certainly look more of a "threat" if and when put there, but it's not all about that. 

Fabbrini does it very well for Boro. In our home game against then, he just seemed to coast around at the final third, something that Ince doesn't really do. His first thought is usually to get the ball, and aim for the box. Looks threatening, but  compromises a lot of everything else.

I think the middle man in the three (AM) should be a playmaker first and foremost, and Butterfield is probably our most competent at performing that role. 

I'm definitely copying and pasting this to another thread if it gets lost among the rubbish in here. It's golden! 

11 minutes ago, WorksopRam said:

Not a clue what everyone's on about but I think in a 4-2-3-1, the middle of the three (AM) is vital. It's easy to chuck someone like Ince in there, as he'll always look dangerous around the box, but then it throws the whole balance off in the middle of the pitch. I actually think someone like Butterfield would be more effective there for the team as a whole. 

The middle player in the three (AM) needs to be disciplined, float around the final third and most importantly, link with the two in midfield behind him. 

Ince would certainly look more of a "threat" if and when put there, but it's not all about that. 

Fabbrini does it very well for Boro. In our home game against then, he just seemed to coast around at the final third, something that Ince doesn't really do. His first thought is usually to get the ball, and aim for the box. Looks threatening, but  compromises a lot of everything else.

I think the middle man in the three (AM) should be a playmaker first and foremost, and Butterfield is probably our most competent at performing that role. 

I'm definitely copying and pasting this to another thread if it gets lost among the rubbish in here. It's golden! 

Your Clement and I win my 5 pounds. 

Can you put your team selection up for tomorrow's game and do you know if Thornes fit. 

Archived