RIP David Bowie

admira

30 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Which is exactly my point... Morrissey, Billy Bragg, Beans on Toast, Paul Heaton, cock sparrer etc etc all with political points of view I definitely do not 100% agree with but I love their music and on the other side of the coin, people like John Lennon, I can agree with a lot of his political and social points of views but would rather sick pins in my eyes than listen to his drivel music. 

Exactly how I feel about Morrissey, I would sooner listen to Agadoo than him, and I hate Agadoo.:-)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well I can understand what you say about never getting someone who was before your time, and you mention elvis , who was before my time, past it and fat, and eventually dead before my music tastes developed. But I can still name about 50 Elvis songs despite not really being that into him or fully understanding what the fuss was about. 

I would  think that someone like Bowie would be up there with elvis, and kind of hard to ignore whether you like his music or not. 

sure I can't name a single Justin bieber song etc but that's kind of different isn't it? 

Go on then...without googling it at all name me 50 Elvis songs... I think I could name you 10 maximum. 

I wouldn't say that Bowie was up there with Elvis, he doesn't have the universal appeal as Elvis did, there won't be thousands of Chinese people meeting every year for a Bowie impersonator competition 50 years after he died will there.?

There is " being a huge music fan" and " being a huge music fan"!!

I would have thought it quite difficult to be around music such as you mentioned The Jam, The Smiths, Wedding Present etc without bumping into David Bowie pretty regularly along that musical journey. Mine follows very similar routes and along with also collecting vinyl, being in record shops, having friends, watching just about every music programme going, buying Melody Maker and Sounds, listening to radio it would be just about impossible in 70s and 80s to miss Bowie really. 

It's lineage mate. It's what all music fans do... Trace backwards from source. I think your " can only think of 2 Bowie songs" claim given the musical references you gave is very dubious. 

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Go on then...without googling it at all name me 50 Elvis songs... I think I could name you 10 maximum. 

I wouldn't say that Bowie was up there with Elvis, he doesn't have the universal appeal as Elvis did, there won't be thousands of Chinese people meeting every year for a Bowie impersonator competition 50 years after he died will there.?

Jailhouse Rock, in the ghetto, love me tender, suspicious minds, hound dog, blue moon of Kentucky, blue suede shoes, a little understanding, heartbreak hotel, all shook up, always on my mind, king creole, way down, blue Christmas, and er... So on. Well I could probably name quite a few more if I could be bothered maybe not 50 but way more than 2. He did do a lot of crap cover songs too as I remember.

3 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

There is " being a huge music fan" and " being a huge music fan"!!

I would have thought it quite difficult to be around music such as you mentioned The Jam, The Smiths, Wedding Present etc without bumping into David Bowie pretty regularly along that musical journey. Mine follows very similar routes and along with also collecting vinyl, being in record shops, having friends, watching just about every music programme going, buying Melody Maker and Sounds, listening to radio it would be just about impossible in 70s and 80s to miss Bowie really. 

It's lineage mate. It's what all music fans do... Trace backwards from source. I think your " can only think of 2 Bowie songs" claim given the musical references you gave is very dubious. 

I never took any notice of his music at all, it didn't interest me one tiny bit..

i love the Jam, Weller, the Stonee Roses and Oasis but as I said cannot stand the Beatles who they would all claim as an influence on their music. 

I am sure a lot of bands I have listened to this morning including The Smiths, The Jam, Sex Pistols, Cock Sparrer, Billy Bragg, QueenWedding present etc etc would say that Bowie was a huge influence on them and their music but I had/have no interest in it at all, I always found his sound to be something that I just didn't get. Like Marc Bolan, the Doors, The Beatles, Elvis, Prince, Madonna, George Michael, Elton John, Phil Collins, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley....all huge huge musical stars/icons/legends however you want to put it, but I would rather listen to static on the radio than any of them.

we are all individuals and like different music genres/artists I am sure there are a lot of bands that I couldn't live without that would drive you crazy.

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Jailhouse Rock, in the ghetto, love me tender, suspicious minds, hound dog, blue moon of Kentucky, blue suede shoes, a little understanding, heartbreak hotel, all shook up, always on my mind, king creole, way down, blue Christmas, and er... So on. Well I could probably name quite a few more if I could be bothered maybe not 50 but way more than 2. He did do a lot of crap cover songs too as I remember.

So you can't name me 50 then....(he was rubbish)

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I never took any notice of his music at all, it didn't interest me one tiny bit..

i love the Jam, Weller, the Stonee Roses and Oasis but as I said cannot stand the Beatles who they would all claim as an influence on their music. 

I am sure a lot of bands I have listened to this morning including The Smiths, The Jam, Sex Pistols, Cock Sparrer, Billy Bragg, QueenWedding present etc etc would say that Bowie was a huge influence on them and their music but I had/have no interest in it at all, I always found his sound to be something that I just didn't get. Like Marc Bolan, the Doors, The Beatles, Elvis, Prince, Madonna, George Michael, Elton John, Phil Collins, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley....all huge huge musical stars/icons/legends however you want to put it, but I would rather listen to static on the radio than any of them.

we are all individuals and like different music genres/artists I am sure there are a lot of bands that I couldn't live without that would drive you crazy.

I get all that. My music lineage tells me I should like Small Faces, Dylan, even Springsteen...but I don't. But I can still name more than 2 songs by them. I've no interest in them but can still name more than 2.. It happens just by living with music, listening to music. 

Are  you telling me you never had radio, TV, music inkies like NME or Melody Maker, friends etc who were into music. 

You have managed to navigate 3 decades listening to ( in my opinion) some superb music without having heard or known more than 2 Bowie tracks? I'm not buying it. You stick with it mate. 

3 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I get all that. My music lineage tells me I should like Small Faces, Dylan, even Springsteen...but I don't. But I can still name more than 2 songs by them. I've no interest in them but can still name more than 2.. It happens just by living with music, listening to music. 

Are  you telling me you never had radio, TV, music inkies like NME or Melody Maker, friends etc who were into music. 

You have managed to navigate 3 decades listening to ( in my opinion) some superb music without having heard or known more than 2 Bowie tracks? I'm not buying it. You stick with it mate. 

I am telling you that yes. 

Thanks for the compliment on my impeccable music tastes... By the way, The small faces, I couldn't name you 1 of their songs..

15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I doubt there are Lots of bands you like that would drive me crazy mate. Not given your references earlier. But then " I'm a huge music fan".

i also only believe in two genres.. Good music and bad music. 

20 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Thanks for the compliment on my impeccable music tastes... By the way, The small faces, I couldn't name you 1 of their songs..

Well I'm not criticising or commenting on your tastes in music. All I am saying is it seems quite selective hearing to be able to shut out your ears and your mind in that sort of way , no radio, no friends music, nothing that could make you aware of more than 2 songs. It must be something very rare about how your brain works. 

26 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

So... Without the aid of friends, radio, TV, music papers etc how did you find out about The Jam, The Smiths, Stone Roses etc? 

And am I to assume that as a " huge music fan" your total dislike and disinterest of Bowies music comes from exhaustively listening to his whole catalogue before arriving at your decision? I mean how can you know you don't like if you have not heard or tried? 

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

So... Without the aid of friends, radio, TV, music papers etc how did you find out about The Jam, The Smiths, Stone Roses etc? 

And am I to assume that as a " huge music fan" your total dislike and disinterest of Bowies music comes from exhaustively listening to his whole catalogue before arriving at your decision? I mean how can you know you don't like if you have not heard or tried? 

Sorry, I didn't mean that i wasn't influenced by friends, press etc just that I never found Bowie appealing at all, I heard his stuff knocking around (I have Modern Love on Now thats what I call Music 2) but it just never stuck with me at all.

I love music, it is the only other thing that I couldn't live without (the Supers being the other) (and obviously not counting family and friends) but I am not going to go through someones catalogue before arriving at my decision, there is too much good music out there that grabs me immediately, you must know that/feel the same. For instance I went to see the Vaccines a couple of years ago at a festival in France, before they came on the Palma Violets played on a smaller stage, I watched them with about 8 other people and they were totally electrifying and I knew that when they release a record I will love it, and I did/do.

Poor old Muey , never heard Fame ,Sorrow , China Girl , Space Oddity , Life on Mars , Young Americans ,

All the young dudes , Starman , Rebel,Rebel , Dancin' in the street , Under Pressure , Jean Genie , Let's Dance ,

Sound and Vision , Fashion , Golden Years etc etc..

You don't know what you've missed , mate ..

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Sorry, I didn't mean that i wasn't influenced by friends, press etc just that I never found Bowie appealing at all, I heard his stuff knocking around (I have Modern Love on Now thats what I call Music 2) but it just never stuck with me at all.

I love music, it is the only other thing that I couldn't live without (the Supers being the other) (and obviously not counting family and friends) but I am not going to go through someones catalogue before arriving at my decision, there is too much good music out there that grabs me immediately, you must know that/feel the same. For instance I went to see the Vaccines a couple of years ago at a festival in France, before they came on the Palma Violets played on a smaller stage, I watched them with about 8 other people and they were totally electrifying and I knew that when they release a record I will love it, and I did/do.

To be fair though mate... Again only my opinion.. But Modern Love was made to try and crack the USA market place. It's shiny pop production and quite out of character from his 70s work. I'm not surprised if that's the only track you heard or first one heard you don't like it. It's not typical of what I and many others consider to be his best work. 

1 hour ago, mozza said:

Poor old Muey , never heard Fame ,Sorrow , China Girl , Space Oddity , Life on Mars , Young Americans ,

All the young dudes , Starman , Rebel,Rebel , Dancin' in the street , Under Pressure , Jean Genie , Let's Dance ,

Sound and Vision , Fashion , Golden Years etc etc..

You don't know what you've missed , mate ..

Don't worry about me I grew up in the golden generation of music. I just checked, almost all of those were before I was born or certainly before I was old enough to listen to and appreciate music. I'm a young boy, the 60's and 70's music doesn't interest me at all really.

Archived