Attendance figures this season

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

this club has a huge following that exceeds its boundary, its not a big city with only 248k, compare that against Leeds and Sheffield which contains 800k and 570k, we know Sheffield has two good sides in it but we have Burton and Chesterfield locally to compete and we still as always top the attendance charts, its a well run club who deserve a premier league birth.

COYR..........

The great BC always said that Derby was a footballing town [now city]. 

20 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

we still punch way above our population and its great to see its still a community based club, always feel welcome with the kids and the easily the best stewards in the UK who never get the credit they deserve.

Really we are a county based club, my route in takes me through Woodville, Hartshorne, Ticknall onto Swarkestone. If you have seen the line of traffic collecting from places like Melbourne, Ashby and Swad going over the Bridge and forming a queue at Spider island onto Ascot Drive, you would guess a fair support comes from South Derbyshire-North West Leics.

Suspect all rat runs into the city have a similar tale. After all who would support tinpot Burton, Gresley Rovers my way when the mighty Rams are doing well (other than as a second team perhaps)

We are not called DERBY COUNTY for nothing :) (edit unless you'reBradley Johnson of course.)

27 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Really we are a county based club, my route in takes me through Woodville, Hartshorne, Ticknall onto Swarkestone. If you have seen the line of traffic collecting from places like Melbourne, Ashby and Swad going over the Bridge and forming a queue at Spider island onto Ascot Drive, you would guess a fair support comes from South Derbyshire-North West Leics.

Suspect all rat runs into the city have a similar tale. After all who would support tinpot Burton, Gresley Rovers my way when the mighty Rams are doing well (other than as a second team perhaps)

We are not called DERBY COUNTY for nothing :) (edit unless you'reBradley Johnson of course.)

I agree with this comment - we have a big catchment area all the way from the East Staffs and the South Derbyshire/NW Leicestershire area up to Bakewell/Buxton and the other North Derbyshire towns.

Burton are doing amazingly well and are only a division below us yet they still only average under 3000. Their ground can hold over double that so I think a lot of people/families in that area who have historically followed Derby as their nearest local league club are continuing to do so even though Burton have risen rapidly over the past decade.  

12 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I agree with this comment - we have a big catchment area all the way from the East Staffs and the South Derbyshire/NW Leicestershire area up to Bakewell/Buxton and the other North Derbyshire towns.

Burton are doing amazingly well and are only a division below us yet they still only average under 3000. Their ground can hold over double that so I think a lot of people/families in that area who have historically followed Derby are continuing to do so.  

Yep I'd go with that.

Thinking of a fair comparison on gates, would be teams like Ipswich, whole of Suffolk, minor rivals being Colchester. Step up a level to Norwich the team of Norfolk or Leicester, they are the ones that spring to mind to me.

As for Burton, went to see them play the Blades earlier this year with a Blades fan and partly to look at our reserves :lol: The Brewers were certainly not ready for the big time and to follow up on your point I recognised a fair few faces I'd seen at Derby, paying a casual midweek visit.

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Burton are doing amazingly well and are only a division below us yet they still only average under 3000. Their ground can hold over double that so I think a lot of people/families in that area who have historically followed Derby as their nearest local league club are continuing to do so even though Burton have risen rapidly over the past decade.  

I live in Nottingham ,my next door neighbour is Derby and there are three families at the top of the road all Derby fans. There are a lot of Derby fans in Long Eaton too.

We draw our support from a very large population which as King Kevin has just pointed out includes the 'Nottingham urban area' which ropes in all of those towns that are just as close to Derby as they are to Nottingham like Long Eaton, Ilkeston, Heanor and Ripley, not to mention supporters from Nottingham 'proper' itself. We are well supported because a lot of people live within a 20 mile radius of Derby City centre and also because we are historically well supported. Support gets passed down in families. I also live in South Derbyshire and agree with an earlier poster that there is fervent support in the Swadlincote and related areas, more people visibly support Derby than in Derby itself     

37 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We draw our support from a very large population which as King Kevin has just pointed out includes the 'Nottingham urban area' which ropes in all of those towns that are just as close to Derby as they are to Nottingham like Long Eaton, Ilkeston, Heanor and Ripley, not to mention supporters from Nottingham 'proper' itself. We are well supported because a lot of people live within a 20 mile radius of Derby City centre and also because we are historically well supported. Support gets passed down in families. I also live in South Derbyshire and agree with an earlier poster that there is fervent support in the Swadlincote and related areas, more people visibly support Derby than in Derby itself     

I think a lot of the support is due to Brian Clough. Attendances soared under his reign and during the success of the seventies. Fans from that era are still going, and drug of DCFC has been passed on through the generations. Thank you Brian.

Obviously the same argument doesn't apply to Clough and Forest.

34 minutes ago, robster1 said:

I think a lot of the support is due to Brian Clough. Attendances soared under his reign and during the success of the seventies. Fans from that era are still going, and drug of DCFC has been passed on through the generations. Thank you Brian.

You'd be surprised how many deserted us and went to the treetards when Cloughy turned up there.

Looking at the gates now though, they obviously changed their minds or didn't pass the disease on to their offspring.

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You'd be surprised how many deserted us and went to the treetards when Cloughy turned up there.

Looking at the gates now though, they obviously changed their minds or didn't pass the disease on to their offspring.

Didn't realise that woman who blabbed her heart out about Clough jnr had so many relations, Jill whatshername.

14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Its no disease, its a blessing. When it is time for us to go, mention Brian Clough and you will be granted a place through the pearly gates. RIP BC.

54 minutes ago, robster1 said:

Its no disease, its a blessing. When it is time for us to go, mention Brian Clough and you will be granted a place through the pearly gates. RIP BC.

I actually meant the disease where you get infected and it makes you support the treetards.

2 hours ago, robster1 said:

Not all down to Cloughie. In 1912 we went up as Second Division champions. After the last game away at Barnsley, 20,000 met the team as they arrived back at the station, according to Anton Rippon's book, "Derby County, The Story of a Football Club".

The approximate population was 120,000 back then!

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not all down to Cloughie. In 1912 we went up as Second Division champions. After the last game away at Barnsley, 20,000 met the team as they arrived back at the station, according to Anton Rippon's book, "Derby County, The Story of a Football Club".

The approximate population was 120,000 back then!

Jimmy Methven's Black and White Army

Archived