Question regarding KWHs.

Ashz09

Hi All,

Last year same time I moved in I brought some solar panels. I have a all electric house and my annual KWH used was :-

Period Type Previous reading Latest reading Electricity units used kWh rate Charge --------- --------- --------- Meter:  Tariff: BIue+Fixed Prepay October 2016 (E7) 17 Dec 14 - 16.83p £127.74 07 Apr 15 Day 5201 ESTIMATED 5960 ESTIMATED 759 kWh ------- ------- ------- x = --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Night 981 6.15p £56.46 ESTIMATED 1899 ESTIMATED 918 kWh ------- ------- ------- x = Meter: Tariff: BIue+Fixed Prepay March 2017 (E7) 08 Apr 15 - 16.83p £308.16 28 Dec 15 Day 5960 ESTIMATED 7791 OUR READ 1831 kWh ------- ------- ------- x = --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Night 1899 6.15p £74.72

In short 4723 KWH used in a year. The question is apparently I save 2000 KWH+ a year through solar panels. Just wondering if anyone else has a all electric house I'm trying to see if I have saved through solar panels etc hope all this makes sense!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Hi All,

Last year same time I moved in I brought some solar panels. I have a all electric house and my annual KWH used was :-

Period Type Previous reading Latest reading Electricity units used kWh rate Charge --------- --------- --------- Meter:  Tariff: BIue+Fixed Prepay October 2016 (E7) 17 Dec 14 - 16.83p £127.74 07 Apr 15 Day 5201 ESTIMATED 5960 ESTIMATED 759 kWh ------- ------- ------- x = --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Night 981 6.15p £56.46 ESTIMATED 1899 ESTIMATED 918 kWh ------- ------- ------- x = Meter: Tariff: BIue+Fixed Prepay March 2017 (E7) 08 Apr 15 - 16.83p £308.16 28 Dec 15 Day 5960 ESTIMATED 7791 OUR READ 1831 kWh ------- ------- ------- x = --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Night 1899 6.15p £74.72

In short 4723 KWH used in a year. The question is apparently I save 2000 KWH+ a year through solar panels. Just wondering if anyone else has a all electric house I'm trying to see if I have saved through solar panels etc hope all this makes sense!

Wouldn't the way to do this to be look at your KWH usage or bill from before you had the solar panels installed, then compare that with you KWH usage from non-solar energy now and that should give you a decent estimate of how many KWH and how much money you have saved. 

Just a simple method to do so if there is no way to see exactly how much energy the panels have stored. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Wouldn't the way to do this to be look at your KWH usage or bill from before you had the solar panels installed, then compare that with you KWH usage from non-solar energy now and that should give you a decent estimate of how many KWH and how much money you have saved. 

Just a simple method to do so if there is no way to see exactly how much energy the panels have stored. 

I don't think he can compare bills if he had the panels installed when he moved into the house.

Literally moved in and had them installed a week or two after. That's what EDF said too but unfortunately I don't have that information. I tried searching for average KWH used over a year for a all electric house I seem only find dual band.. Hopefully their doing what their suppose to be doing! =[

I rent an all electric house, with my girlfriend. 

1st April - 28th Nov (last bill) used 2171 kWh. We have a solar panel, which trickle heats the hot water, but since this was installed when the house was built, and before we moved in have no previous figures. They estimated a usage of around 3200 kWh for the year, but we're on course to beat that, I dare say.

I dread the next bill, one of my christmas presents was a bearded dragon, and his lights are on 12hrs a day, plus the extra heating with it being winter... albeit a fairly warm one!

32 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

I rent an all electric house, with my girlfriend. 

1st April - 28th Nov (last bill) used 2171 kWh. We have a solar panel, which trickle heats the hot water, but since this was installed when the house was built, and before we moved in have no previous figures. They estimated a usage of around 3200 kWh for the year, but we're on course to beat that, I dare say.

I dread the next bill, one of my christmas presents was a bearded dragon, and his lights are on 12hrs a day, plus the extra heating with it being winter... albeit a fairly warm one!

buy it a body warmer and bobble hat, takes the piss them bearded dragons :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

Hi All,

You had and payments back yet from exporting?

If you only benefit from the free electricity, ie someone paid for the solar panels to be fitted on your roof (rent a roof) then you will only get this 2000 kWh benefit if you use it.

what I mean is, if you're out during the day, you're only probably warming the hot water up, when everyone gets in at night you don't really benefit much as the sun is lower, if there at all.

the thing to do in the summer is make sure you have at least one item being used or several on staggered timers throughout the summer, washing machines, dishwashers, tumble drier etc.

if you own the sysytem it's not so critical as you get paid even if you don't use it.

I've got a question on smart meters, I've heard they're sent a bit wappy by induction hobs, apparently they throw the smart meter readings out by miles.

Is this true, if so I assume it only effects the in house reading, not the billed amount? 

41 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If you only benefit from the free electricity, ie someone paid for the solar panels to be fitted on your roof (rent a roof) then you will only get this 2000 kWh benefit if you use it.

what I mean is, if you're out during the day, you're only probably warming the hot water up, when everyone gets in at night you don't really benefit much as the sun is lower, if there at all.

the thing to do in the summer is make sure you have at least one item being used or several on staggered timers throughout the summer, washing machines, dishwashers, tumble drier etc.

if you own the sysytem it's not so critical as you get paid even if you don't use it.

Is it actually worth the effort to have solar panels on an average 3 bed semi?

Yes, yes, my semi is average you saddo's :blink:

8 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I've got a question on smart meters, I've heard they're sent a bit wappy by induction hobs, apparently they throw the smart meter readings out by miles.

Is this true, if so I assume it only effects the in house reading, not the billed amount? 

Not heard that one?

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The tariff is dropping to 4p a kWh on the 15th I think.

The panels will need to come down a bit to make it more viable.

Its dead, 

...and looks ugly , plus it may be too heavy for some roofs , you'd think they'd invent tiles

that look more aesthetic ..

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Not heard that one?

I meant those clip on energy monitors, not smart meters, my bad.

On a related note, Western Power Distribution recently charged me £160 to replace the board my electricity head was mounted on, before Eon could change the meter itself, robbing barstewards!

9 hours ago, Boycie said:

The tariff is dropping to 4p a kWh on the 15th I think.

The panels will need to come down a bit to make it more viable.

Its dead, 

Really? That's ****, I've just made space for a solar panel on the crown of my head 

11 hours ago, mozza said:

...and looks ugly , plus it may be too heavy for some roofs , you'd think they'd invent tiles

that look more aesthetic ..

The do make a Marley Modern roof tile version of solar panel.  But you don't get the same output, but you can get em.

Archived