Shackell & Carson injuries

Kernow

Just now, rammieib said:

Don't buy this, Baird covers the full back positions, so Pearce should be there.

Heck, even Hendrick can cover right back and Johnson could cover left back.

But Shotton could cover full back and centre back whilst Pearce is an outright CB.

I think Clement went into the mindset of not exerting the players too much before Saturday, probably with the intention of bringing on Baird for Warnock and Shotton for Christie. They've played a lot of games with barely any rest.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember any if many goals conceded via headers this season, because of Shackell. Watch him, his positional sense is amazing and he is constantly helping Keogh out with his. He wasn't there for the 2 Leeds goal, it doesn't happen if he's on the pitch IMO

Johnson is NOT a holding midfielder. Hasn't got the discipline or work rate. His attributes are better suited further forward. 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Not at the risk of turning it into a long term injury ITK

Of course not no, but I'm praying he's fit. If not, Pearce better be good.

Judging by the reaction by journos/PC, if he misses any games it'll be Boro only. 10 days after the Boro game before we play another league match.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Of course not no, but I'm praying he's fit. If not, Pearce better be good.

Judging by the reaction by journos/PC, if he misses any games it'll be Boro only. 10 days after the Boro game before we play another league match.

Worth starting with Shackell in that case and trust him to come off if necessary ITK? i used to be a goalkeeper at some level and I would have caught that ball that Grant punched, because he was not under pressure from anyone.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Worth starting with Shackell in that case and trust him to come off if necessary ITK? i used to be a goalkeeper at some level and I would have caught that ball that Grant punched, because he was not under pressure from anyone.

If he's fit then start him, if he's not then don't. It'll be up to the medical team. If he's OK there's no point leaving him out just in case. Anyone can get injured at any point so all down to the advice from the club doctors as well how Jason himself feels.

I too was a goalkeeper, so I can have sympathy for Grant with some of last season's mistakes. Today is debatable with the Wolves one on which is worse though and you really cannot excuse that. Poor punch, OK, they happen, but to then chase after the ball, jump past the player and out of the box, back pedal slowly to your line then flap an easy cross, without pressure, into a dangerous area is dreadful.

I would be surprised if I saw such a chain of poor keeping and decision making in an under 10 match let alone in the second tier of English football.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If he's fit then start him, if he's not then don't. It'll be up to the medical team. If he's OK there's no point leaving him out just in case. Anyone can get injured at any point so all down to the advice from the club doctors as well how Jason himself feels.

I too was a goalkeeper, so I can have sympathy for Grant with some of last season's mistakes. Today is debatable with the Wolves one on which is worse though and you really cannot excuse that. Poor punch, OK, they happen, but to then chase after the ball, jump past the player and out of the box, back pedal slowly to your line then flap an easy cross, without pressure, into a dangerous area is dreadful.

I would be surprised if I saw such a chain of poor keeping and decision making in an under 10 match let alone in the second tier of English football.

Totally agree ITK.

Newsfash - Kernow and Rampage brought out of retirement to cover for Carson. Daily Star

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Totally agree ITK.

Newsfash - Kernow and Rampage brought out of retirement to cover for Carson. Daily Star

It's a claim made a lot when keepers make mistakes or strikers miss easy chances - I'd have saved/scored that.

But I genuinely reckon if I, or many other members of this forum in this goal, that one wouldn't have gone in.

They'd probably have won 10-2 after scoring from every other shot they had but that's not the point

The more I watch it, the worse it gets. . . What was doing after his initial flap!? He just came charging out of his box at Byram like a lunatic! it's bizarre! then the cross come in and he can either A) catch it! or B) tip it away from goal over the crossbar for a corner. But he just slaps it down right back into the danger area for Bamba to smash it in. 

I bet Carsons pissing himself!

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's a claim made a lot when keepers make mistakes or strikers miss easy chances - I'd have saved/scored that.

But I genuinely reckon if I, or many other members of this forum in this goal, that one wouldn't have gone in.

They'd probably have won 10-2 after scoring from every other shot they had but that's not the point

i might have let 9 in but no way would I have let 10 in, ITK.

Punching the ball is the new catching of the ball. The modern  gloves have more suckers than an octopus. I tried to throw a ball out using modern gloves and the ball stayed stuck in my glove. :D

When i were a lad you could buy a right good goalkeeper's shirt and gloves, two hundredweight of cobblestones and a large Hovis loaf for half a crown and still have five bob change.:D

With shackell on the pitch we are far more solid. Grant hasn't made a mistake when he is there so maybe there is a connection there? I think if shackell was on the pitch we wouldn't of conceded. That first goal when Granty got a rush of blood and ran out when it was looped back in i feel he should of got a shout from behind for a defender to head it away (if you watch the goal again there are 3 derby players who could head it away) but instead grant flicks it away from the goal straight to bamba.

Long story short without shackell and carson we have the same defence as last year which was atrocious last 4 months.

13 hours ago, Rampage said:

i might have let 9 in but no way would I have let 10 in, ITK.

Punching the ball is the new catching of the ball. The modern  gloves have more suckers than an octopus. I tried to throw a ball out using modern gloves and the ball stayed stuck in my glove. :D

When i were a lad you could buy a right good goalkeeper's shirt and gloves, two hundredweight of cobblestones and a large Hovis loaf for half a crown and still have five bob change.:D

But it was still no fun living in a cardboard box in the middle of a motorway …...

11 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Long story short without shackell and carson we have the same defence as last year which was atrocious last 4 months.

Shudder.

Archived