I'm dreaming of a mild Christmas

ariotofmyown

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brothers and me made up this as kids...hours of laughing with this one...

I'm dreaming of a brown and steamy Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where treetops died and children go "Phooorrr!"
To hear the thing going...*phhharrrrtttt*

That last bit was the cue for all 3 of us to make louding farting sounds.

Oh the wonders of Christmas. Everyone thought we were mad...we still are ha ha!

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Walks slowly away from the thread......

Do you like mild beer Eddie, when I started drinking it was virtually the only draught beer , very few pubs had bitter,, never mind people drinking it.

The only lager was Carlsberg, and that was bottled. 

2 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Do you like mild beer Eddie, when I started drinking it was virtually the only draught beer , very few pubs had bitter,, never mind people drinking it.

There was Carling Black label and Harp as well in the early 60s. And brown ale. Mild beer hardly exists down here in London land apart from a few craft microbreweries. My old Dad and his fellow cronies told me when they were in their dotage, that in their youth they all started with mild then progressed to bitter (always Bass) and then gradually moved back to mild when they grew ancient through variations such as brown and mild, mild and pale ale, light and mild, or half and half (mild and bitter)

7 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

My father's pub was an Ind Coope house - we served XXX Mild, Ind Coope Best Bitter, Double Diamond and Skol lager on draught. That was around 1967 when he took his first pub - the mild and the bitter were cask-conditioned (36 gallon tubs) whereas the DD and Skol were 'keg'. Later we started to sell Draught Guinness. Bottles were (IIRC) Guinness, Mackeson, Skol, Double Diamond, Light Ale, Brown Ale, Gold Label (Barley Wine) and a stronger lager in nips called Skol Liqueur (a bit like Carlsberg Specal Brew).

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Double Diamond works wonders, works wonders etc etc . great name - crap beer.

It was the original 'chemical beer' and christened 'Eurofizz' alongside the likes of Whitbread Tankard, Worthington E and the like. There was a proper conspiracy amongst the big 4 brewers to adjust their brews until they all tasted pretty well the same - their aim was so that you could go anywhere in the country and have a pint just like you had at home.

Luckily, CAMRA came along.

25 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm no expert on ale - I like what I like and think this 'real ale' business is a lot of tosh! Taste & flavours are individual and my favourites have been Irish stouts in Irish pubs

Thanks for your opinion - I'd like you to know that it's as welcome and valuable as anybody else's, no matter how utterly wrong and pig-ignorant it may be.

;)

Archived