Try Ince as a central striker

Curtains

Ince has got bigger problems with his performances than the position he's playing. 

How long has it been since we had two wingers in form?

Ince for the first months of the year, Russell for the first months of the season and most recently Weimann. But we're always carrying a winger. 

At Sheffield we had none. No width from Weimann,  Ince half asleep and Russell came on and ran into people for a bit.

Our best wide play consistently comes from full backs. 

Martin is a proven goal scorer. At the minute he's feeding off scraps. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ince has got bigger problems with his performances than the position he's playing. 

How long has it been since we had two wingers in form?

Ince for the first months of the year, Russell for the first months of the season and most recently Weimann. But we're always carrying a winger. 

At Sheffield we had none. No width from Weimann,  Ince half asleep and Russell came on and ran into people for a bit.

Our best wide play consistently comes from full backs. 

Martin is a proven goal scorer. At the minute he's feeding off scraps. 

Ok he's feeding off scraps which doesn't make sense considering the quality of players we have at Derby .

My bigger issue now is that Clement seems reluctant to change the formation or his approach to a game. When it works (Hull away) great, but when its not working (Forest away/Sheff Wed) try something different and earlier.

I still believe we played OK away at Birmingham earlier in the season when we had Martin and Bent on the pitch together. Martin is off form for me currently - his lay offs are not finding DCFC players (Lack of runners as well?) but if he had Bent up there he would know a flick on could help as much as a lay off. The commentators were pretty accurate yesterday in describing the match.

I don't have any problem with our 4-3-3- system but when wingers and your striker are out of form, and your midfields tend to sit deep without making the penetrating runs, it won't always work - so change it up!

3 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

And if he's no good there try him as goal keeper.

Good idea .

Question.  

How  many Derby Fans wanted Ince to sign and commit to Derby County .

Derby County need to show him some commitment also. 

Dragging him off yesterday was wrong IMO 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Good idea .

Question how many Derby Fans wanted Ince to sign and commit to Derby County .

He was anonymous - so was Russell arguably - but if something isn't working, you change it, no?

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Good idea .

Question.  

How  many Derby Fans wanted Ince to sign and commit to Derby County .

So you're quite happy for Martin to be kicked out the team for failing to score in 6 games, but unhappy Ince got subbed off when he was playing poorly (as he had done previously for about 10 games)? So basically you want special treatment for Ince and not for Martin

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok he's feeding off scraps which doesn't make sense considering the quality of players we have at Derby .

Quality players but the forward ones aren't playing well. 

Seen a few calls to replace this guy or that guy. I'd much rather Tom Ince and Chris Martin come through and find some form rather than be tossed in the bin. 

Let's take Sheffield Wednesday for example. Weimann offered zero width. Ince wanted 5 touches and 5 minutes to do what Bannan was doing instantly. 

Not exactly an impossible fix.

12 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

He was anonymous - so was Russell arguably - but if something isn't working, you change it, no?

Ince wasn't the problem .

He needed to go more central  . 

Hendrick needed to come on  for Thorne and Johnson do the sitting role as the only change and not bother with Russell and Bent  .

Because Martin isnt droppable  

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

My bigger issue now is that Clement seems reluctant to change the formation or his approach to a game. When it works (Hull away) great, but when its not working (Forest away/Sheff Wed) try something different and earlier.

I still believe we played OK away at Birmingham earlier in the season when we had Martin and Bent on the pitch together. Martin is off form for me currently - his lay offs are not finding DCFC players (Lack of runners as well?) but if he had Bent up there he would know a flick on could help as much as a lay off. The commentators were pretty accurate yesterday in describing the match.

I don't have any problem with our 4-3-3- system but when wingers and your striker are out of form, and your midfields tend to sit deep without making the penetrating runs, it won't always work - so change it up!

Have to say I agree. 

If Darren Bent can't get a kick now then there's zero point in him being here. 

A lot of talk in pre season of different systems etc. I think we all know 433 is by far our best and first choice system. But if the key parts of that are injured or in terrible form then how do we keep playing it. 

It's either stick with Ince and Co until they find some form or grab the bull by the horns. 

I don't mind either way. As a fan we're in the comfortable position of managing the team in hindsight. 

But for Darren Bent, it's now or never.

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Quality players but the forward ones aren't playing well. 

Seen a few calls to replace this guy or that guy. I'd much rather Tom Ince and Chris Martin come through and find some form rather than be tossed in the bin. 

Let's take Sheffield Wednesday for example. Weimann offered zero width. Ince wanted 5 touches and 5 minutes to do what Bannan was doing instantly. 

Not exactly an impossible fix.

Ince had a good defender against him so need to be tried more centrally. 

Was Thorne too slow yesterday along with Johnson build up play wise. 

Wiemann had a poor game I agree. 

Martin was poor also. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ince had a good defender against him so need to be tried more centrally. 

Was Thorne too slow yesterday along with Johnson build up play wise. 

Wiemann had a poor game I agree. 

Martin was poor also. 

So it's everyone's fault Ince is playing poorly apart from Ince himself? 

Archived