Half time shenanigans

unclej

The half time whistle goes and the players go down the tunnel. Those men with three pronged forks come out and make absolutely no difference to the playing surface, but I've noticed something else. The band of five appear, just on the edge of the box, either in front of the South Stand at home or in front of the Derby fans away and kind of, well, piss about.  Bent, Russel, Shotton, Hanson and Grant form a circle and have some of the crappiest games of keep-ups I have ever seen. They grin and laugh at each other, frankly looking embarrassed. When Warnock is sub, this pointless play is not for him. He takes Russel away and they drill balls at each other, getting to understand the bounce of the pitch and get the blood flowing; prepared for a 60th minute substitution.

I work hard for my brass and want to support the club, but it's getting on my nerves to watch these reservists giggle away to each other, seemingly happy with their lot. Their boss isn't watching, but I am.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, unclej said:

The half time whistle goes and the players go down the tunnel. Those men with three pronged forks come out and make absolutely no difference to the playing surface, but I've noticed something else. The band of five appear, just on the edge of the box, either in front of the South Stand at home or in front of the Derby fans away and kind of, well, piss about.  Bent, Russel, Shotton, Hanson and Grant form a circle and have some of the crappiest games of keep-ups I have ever seen. They grin and laugh at each other, frankly looking embarrassed. When Warnock is sub, this pointless play is not for him. He takes Russel away and they drill balls at each other, getting to understand the bounce of the pitch and get the blood flowing; prepared for a 60th minute substitution.

I work hard for my brass and want to support the club, but it's getting on my nerves to watch these reservists giggle away to each other, seemingly happy with their lot. Their boss isn't watching, but I am.

Do you watch the other teams too? They all do it, every single clubs subs do it. That's part of football,

1 hour ago, unclej said:

Perhaps the overall solution is to buy 5 more forks?

Surely this attitude is better than sit back, have a kip, wake me up if you want me to go on, then run on, pull a hamstring, limp off, draw a salary for sitting at home recovering, only to come back in time to repeat the whole pantomime.

Oh yes it is..

Oh no it isn't.

At least this way you get to see ALL the players.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Always wondered what happens at half time. I thought we still had a brass band tbh.

They should show it on the concourse TV's so we can all see it.

Something something woman 45 minutes each way

3 minutes ago, HeyHudson said:

You can usually tell if a sub is coming on for the second half cos they'll be warming up separately with Steve Haines and doing a lot more intensive drills than everyone else.

Not relevant to the original point, but something I've noticed.

It should be irrelevant whether the players are coming straight on after half time, what if another player gets injured in the 46th minute?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Something something woman 45 minutes each way

Oh to be able to something something woman 45 mins each way.  At my age I am barely able to give it a good 10 minutes anymore, and the wife has lost total interest in changing ends.

12 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Same as if a player gets injured on 34mins surely? 

Get on the ear piece he's coming off, we'll try to drag this out as long as possible so Timmy can get warmed up.

Suppose so but why the need to do that when the players have just had 15 minutes to warm up properly instead of seeing who can do the most kick ups

38 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Suppose so but why the need to do that when the players have just had 15 minutes to warm up properly instead of seeing who can do the most kick ups

Im not sure if you are being serious ?

One of the best ways to get warmed up during a match is to replicate the activities you do during it, heading, kicking, stretching for the ball etc....  Given they can't do this on the touchline when the game is going on, I expect that this is the reason for this type of activity.

Archived