Go home Prince Charles, you're drunk!

Day

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair it's not completely unreasonable for changes in local climate to lead to increased political instability, which in turn could lead to terrorism and migration from the region. Changes in climate have been a cause for war before, and this particular opinion that he's stated here isn't completely unheard of in scientific journals. 

Peter H. Gleick, 2014: Water, drought, climate change, and conflict in syria. Wea. Climate Soc., 6, 331–340.

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

To be fair it's not completely unreasonable for changes in local climate to lead to increased political instability, which in turn could lead to terrorism and migration from the region. Changes in climate have been a cause for war before, and this particular opinion that he's stated here isn't completely unheard of in scientific journals. 

Peter H. Gleick, 2014: Water, drought, climate change, and conflict in syria. Wea. Climate Soc., 6, 331–340.

I read some years ago that one of the conflicts tearing Syria apart was down to the scarce availability of fresh water and political decisions on irrigation, i.e. letting areas who tend to be pro-government get all the funding at the expense of places more likely to be anti-government.

Obviously there are religious and political conflicts as well, but water supply (or rather lack of it) was one of the many contributing factors to the misery that country is now enduring.

Prince Charles is still an over privileged buffoon though.

It's not unreasonable at all.

When it's put in a soundbite like that for the twitter generation (is anything that takes more than 140 characters to say worth saying?), it sounds ridiculous.

But in terms of human conflict, the environment, and specifically resources, has and will play an important role - whether it's Leibensraum, wars over oil or whatever.

6 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Hasn't the drought hit Iraq, Iran and Turkey harder than Syria?

Also didn't the Syria war also start over politics?

Forgive me for my ignorance of I'm wrong here. 

One of the contributing factors to the political unrest that led to a movement to overthrow the dictatorship was water supply.

So yes, it was politics, but if you look at the underlying causes of the political unrest its..........feckin complicated!

Not seen that one, thought it was all anti war protests which started in Tunisa which Syrians then copied over anger dating back years over . Like I say forgive my ignorance, never look into things like this as others do.

8 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Not seen that one, thought it was all anti war protests which started in Tunisa which Syrians then copied over anger dating back years over . Like I say forgive my ignorance, never look into things like this as others do.

Factors in most conflicts are far more complicated than most really want to talk about.

In any such case, can we get a new thread title as: "Go home Prince Charles, I'm drunk, but your institution is still a relic!"?

Archived