colloquialisms

davenportram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Word History: The word pal comes from the Indic language of the Romani people. First recorded in English in the second half of the 1700s, pal was borrowed from a Romani word meaning "brother,comrade," which occurs as phal in the Romani spoken in England and phral in the Romani spoken in continental Europe. The Romani speak an Indic language because they originally migrated toEurope from the border region between Iran and India. In other Indic languages we find related words meaning "brother," such as Hindu and Urdu bhāī, and they all come from Sanskrit bhrātā, which inturn traces its ancestry to the same Indo-European word that our word brother does.

Not having that, we all know phal is a 'mild' curry.

Lived & worked in Sheffield for 15 years and always hated the use of "while" for until, as per the previous post. Also never got on with Breadcake instead of Cob (I'm from the Peak District originally) or the habit of saying "Our" in front of any family member's name.

One that always amused me (though I don't think I ever said it myself) was "Put the wood in the hole" - as an instruction to shut the door.

A lot of regional variation also with the term for alley between houses. Is it a Jennel or Ginnel (as it was in Sheffield)

Now living in Newark on Trent, the local terms are pretty much the same as Derbyshire, thankfully.

2 hours ago, WorksopRam said:

While we're on it... On match days, when the players are just coming out, does the announcer say "It's in your DNA, youth"?

If yes, why?

If no, what?

If you want, ignore me. 

Yes he does, in a really forced and awkward Derbyshire accent.

Causey - never heard of that until i went to Bo's'er 

and ginnel

as in...

"get bin, tek it down ginnel and stick it on't causey"

pardon ?

Archived