colloquialisms

davenportram

having lived in many places there's several words or sayings that are unique to certain areas.

Nesh - heard in Yorkshire to describe someone who feels the cold easily

Hen - friendly term in Scotland, like "duck".

pal - a Scottish term like Hen but only for men eg. Cheers pal (most people in Emgland say cheers mate)

Anyone else got any.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word History: The word pal comes from the Indic language of the Romani people. First recorded in English in the second half of the 1700s, pal was borrowed from a Romani word meaning "brother,comrade," which occurs as phal in the Romani spoken in England and phral in the Romani spoken in continental Europe. The Romani speak an Indic language because they originally migrated toEurope from the border region between Iran and India. In other Indic languages we find related words meaning "brother," such as Hindu and Urdu bhāī, and they all come from Sanskrit bhrātā, which inturn traces its ancestry to the same Indo-European word that our word brother does.

I've only heard the word pal used as mentioned in Scotland, ie to a stranger when saying thanks. I would always use mate in that scenario.

15 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I say pal all the time. Nesh I've always heard in Derby too.

ive never heard Nesh in Derby, and when I've used it got funny looks. A typical sentence - "don't be so nesh, you pappy bugger" in reply to "its getting a bit nippy out"

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

I've only heard the word pal used as mentioned in Scotland, ie to a stranger when saying thanks. I would always use mate in that scenario.

ive never heard Nesh in Derby, and when I've used it got funny looks. A typical sentence - "don't be so nesh, you pappy bugger" in reply to "its getting a bit nippy out"

Never heard nesh before. Pal is pretty common, say it all the time.

Archived