Slow fullbacks don't work

Westcumbrianram

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so true.  Nothing against the guys ages, but the game has moved on.  Essentially fullbacks these days are auxiliary wingers who do a bit of defending.  Very different to a fullback ten years ago.  One of the most important positions on the pitch.  These guys do not fit that profile as good as they were back in the day.

We need pace added to the full back position, we need to move teams about and not be so static going forward. A full back that can overlap and still get back and defend is a must. Warnock and Baird might be steady but a top championship side needs more then steady. 

Are you saying that we are a top championship side so should have pacey fullbacks or we need pacey fullbacks to become a top championship side

Baird and Forsyth every time for me, I don't even think Fozzy's any weaker than Warnock defensively. 

I see Baird as the Wisdom, holding back to make a 3 with Keogh and Shackell, allowing Forsyth the freedom to attack.

Against teams who may be good enough to get on top of us and stop his forward raids, I still think Fozzy has the edge.

Baird and Forsyth every time for me, I don't even think Fozzy's any weaker than Warnock defensively. 

I see Baird as the Wisdom, holding back to make a 3 with Keogh and Shackell, allowing Forsyth the freedom to attack.

Against teams who may be good enough to get on top of us and stop his forward raids, I still think Fozzy has the edge.

totally agree, biggest disappointment last night was Warnock starting ahead of Forsyth. He's solid defensively but offers threat going forward, although tbf to Warnock he did but 1 really good cross in last night.

Forsyth is much stronger in the air also, which without nearly cost us straight after their goal when Kike should have got a 2nd

Forsyth played excellently on Saturday..

Clearly PC thought Warnock was the best option to nullify the best RW in the division.

He was right as Adomah did nothing all night.

i beg to differ.

adomah offered no threat because boro sat back.

the onus is / was on us to attack at home and defend away

therefore we should have played attacking full backs v boro 

it wasn't that adomah was nullified.

Forsyth played excellently on Saturday..

Clearly PC thought Warnock was the best option to nullify the best RW in the division.

He was right as Adomah did nothing all night. 

I distinctly remember Warnock being beaten more than once by Adomah near half way line and him not having the legs to get back to recover quickly. Think between them Hanson, Thorne and Shackell snuffed out the danger when it happened.

Not saying he played poorly mind, just don't see why Forsyth was dropped and feel he's better all around (provided he's not doing the silly 5yrd misplaced passes like the back end of last yr!)

the fact that we changed from the team who played charlton.

agree, in the "who would you play against Boro" thread I said I'd not change it, Russell had an average game on Saturday but Weimann's showing against Pompey was worse...... last night was not much better. I'd definitely have Russell in at the minute out of the 2

Did we beat Charlton I forgot.

Are Boro better than Charlton just asking. 

no we didn't beat charlton

yes boro are better than charlton

but we played well v charlton imo - we dominated the match. We passed the ball well. We just lacked that final killer ball. We conceded a fluke goal. With a bit more luck we would have had a nice 1-0 win.

v boro we were far less effective and passed sideways back and forth, we lost tempo, we ran out of ideas......russell got us a point. I would have liked to see the same team take on boro.

no we didn't beat charlton

yes boro are better than charlton

but we played well v charlton imo - we dominated the match. We passed the ball well. We just lacked that final killer ball. We conceded a fluke goal. With a bit more luck we would have had a nice 1-0 win.

v boro we were far less effective and passed sideways back and forth, we lost tempo, we ran out of ideas......russell got us a point. I would have liked to see the same team take on boro.

But lost to Boro last season with Forsyth or was Warnock playing .

Warnock is the new keogh.

lets hope no-one gets the abuse Keogh suffered, whether that's in the grd, social media or forums. No-one 'tries' to play poorly.

Similar to comments about what Wisdom did for us, if Baird is in midfield on Friday and ChrIstie plays then Warnock may be a better option with strict instructions not to go forward.

We had the discussion pre match last night about Warnock, and quite rightly one of the lads kept reminding us that he was excellent for Leeds.

Archived