Slow fullbacks don't work

Westcumbrianram

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its horses for courses and we did well to not lose last night .

we did well to get a last minute equaliser yes. But if we had had russell and forsyth from the start i think we might have offered more threat and that last minute goal might have been the winner.

all speculation. And i'm not slagging off warnock, altho weimann was very disappointing.

Let me set something straight first, I am behind all the lads 100%, I just think we need some attack minded full backs especially when playing at home. I would have to agree with fizzy and Baird as first choice full backs and against lesser teams Christie and warnock. We need to start stretching teams again to allow space to open up for us to create more chances.

Think the fullbacks will be picked based on the individual game we are playing.

we obviously thoughts boros wide men are a big threat, quite rightly so and felt maybe two experienced senior players might help limit that threat.

hindsight is a wonderful thing. Imagine if we had played Christie and fozzie and got torn to shreds down the wings and they hammered us (although judging by some on here you would think we got dicked last night)

as was ince.

i was thinking about kenny burns's opinion on the walk back.

lol. Seriously

kenny burns is a washed up fat ******* who I would rather stick knitting needles in my ears and thrust them into my central nervous system, then listen to a word he says. Should stick to running pubs to the point of bankruptcy, the fat tool

Baird and Forsyth every time for me, I don't even think Fozzy's any weaker than Warnock defensively. 

I see Baird as the Wisdom, holding back to make a 3 with Keogh and Shackell, allowing Forsyth the freedom to attack.

Against teams who may be good enough to get on top of us and stop his forward raids, I still think Fozzy has the edge.

If only he could pass Rev.  Good defender, athletic runner, average crosser, poor passer.

Watching Warnock last night, he passed it backwards quite a lot (pretty much every time) he cuts in and as he is running across the pitch he will not pass with his right (tried 2 with the outside of his left, 1 was absolutely shocking the other Martin did well to get anywhere near it) and has to use his left to go back, very rarely did he try to go round the outside of the defender (can't actually remember him doing it once last night)

Watching Warnock last night, he passed it backwards quite a lot (pretty much every time) he cuts in and as he is running across the pitch he will not pass with his right (tried 2 with the outside of his left, 1 was absolutely shocking the other Martin did well to get anywhere near it) and has to use his left to go back, very rarely did he try to go round the outside of the defender (can't actually remember him doing it once last night)

Didn't see the game buddy, but the kind of unknown here is what his instructions were. Warnock I believe can play quite an expansive game, and further up the pitch, but if his orders were "keep it tight, and don't get too far forward" then that is what he will do.  I think Clement probably knows what he will get with Warnock, whereas Forsyth has a bit of the Hendricks about him - charging forward at times with little thought as to what happens to shape if the ball is lost.

Didn't see the game buddy, but the kind of unknown here is what his instructions were. Warnock I believe can play quite an expansive game, and further up the pitch, but if his orders were "keep it tight, and don't get too far forward" then that is what he will do.  I think Clement probably knows what he will get with Warnock, whereas Forsyth has a bit of the Hendricks about him - charging forward at times with little thought as to what happens to shape if the ball is lost.

Maybe, it was just too negative when he got the ball around the half way line.

No doubt it's been mentioned but we certainly need a bit of stability in defence. Their job is to defend first and foremost. With Baird presumably regular RB, injuries aside, Forsyth is a valuable outlet down that left wing. But with more dangerous opposition, an arguably more accomplished defender in Warnock is a good option. Less influence in attack but less prone to get caught out. 

Pros and cons to playing either. 

I thought we really lacked an attacking full back in that game. Our wingers were very isolated in the game and Warnock and Shotton struggled to get forward and pick a cross. I thought they did really well defensively (especially Warnock), but against a Boro side who were very defensive we didn't really need that added defence. 

Archived