Harrison Reed

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of him so went on the Google and found this interview with him couple months ago....

With his ginger hair, short stocky build and tenacity in central midfield, it did not take long for Southampton's Harrison Reed to draw comparisons to Paul Scholes.

'I think that's more about my hair,' he jokes, rubbing his cropped head, but when Reed has been throwing on an England shirt to turn out for England Under 20s at the Toulon Tournament, the resemblance has been uncanny.

Through hard work and a solid resolve, the 20-year-old has forced his way into the England youth setup and at the south coast club he joined as a child.

'I like the way Paul Scholes played the game, especially in the early stages of his career, getting into the box and scoring goals, but that's a big comparison,' he says.

'The role I've been playing at Southampton this year has been more defensive. Keeping the opposition players locked out. Maybe if I get to play in a more attacking I can do what Scholes did.

'I feel more comfortable starting attacks from deeper. Rather than being pushed up high and getting into pockets of space. 

'I see myself getting on the ball and playing balls, rather than receiving it with my back to goal higher up the pitch. 

'I'm in the early stages of my career, I can adapt to that but in this moment in time I'm enjoying playing in front of the back four.'

Reed was handed his first-team debut by Mauricio Pochettino, but it is Ronald Koeman who gave him a first Premier League start in December when he effectively marshalled Gareth Barry and Ross Barkley in a 3-0 win against Everton.

The victory was much needed, on the back of five defeats, but Ronald Koeman's compliments about his performance afterwards suggest perhaps he does not see him as Scholes' successor just yet.

'He's not the best technical player but he showed an unbelievable spirit and good character,' the Southampton manager said.

Reed, however, did not let it rile him. 'I wasn't upset,' he says. 'I saw the comment at the time. I see myself as quite a technical player, on the ball, in training I can do most things. 

'I did wonder what he meant. But to be fair, it's his opinion. Maybe I haven't shown him enough in training. 

'On the day I needed to provide energy for the team to pick them up from the defeats and I felt I'd done that. 

'If I haven't shown technical ability in the games I'll be looking to do that more in games and in training.'

'I new it was a massive game to get us back on track. Koeman spoke to me and said be disciplined around Barkley and Samuel Eto'o. 

'At the time I thought, 'Christ this is going to be a job.' But it gave me the confidence to kick on.'

Afterwards team-mate Shane Long revealed he gave Reed the nickname Ray Donovan, the go-to problem-solver in an American TV series, by his team-mates because he mops up in midfield.

That mature performance was the coming-of-age for a player who had to watch on as players he signed scholarship terms alongside were moving on for multi-million pound deals and becoming household Premier League names.

'Maybe I didn't progress as quickly as I would've liked,' he admits. 'The likes of Calum Chambers, James Ward-Prowse, Luke Shaw all pushed up early and kept kicking on. It took me a bit of time.

'I said to myself I wasn't performing to the ability to be pushed on. It took time. I worked hard with the coaches and in the gym to get quicker and stronger, to use my body more as I'm lacking height.'

Reed is getting his chance now — and one day a little ginger lad coming through the ranks might well be compared to him instead. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3109369/Harrison-Reed-s-combative-nature-force-reckoned-club-country.html#ixzz3j9bfyRlK 

Exact same position and style as thorne.... if he is coming in as hughes replacement defo big no thanks.... not what we need at all. If he is coming as cover for thorne and competition for hanson next to thorne then yes please. Solid solid player who will play majority of his career in top flight imo... but we need a playmaker more

He has caught my eye before, but far from a replacement for Hughes. I wouldn't even say he's like Thorne either. 

The closest comparison I can make is Hanson, and for that reason I'm out. 

Alright, Mr. Bannatyne.

If we can get a point tonight it would represent a big step forward. they took six points off us last year. If we play a ten man defence and get a point  then I would settle for that now. There is plenty of time to play football, let';s see if we can get by without losing.

My Saints mate reckons he's a great little player, but he needs some solid game time. Lots of energy and determination. Sounds like the sort of player that would compliment us, although I'd like to see how Hanson does in that position first rather than get another youngster in on loan ahead of him.

If he comes in with the understanding he'll be fighting for a place then it's a win win situation.

The third midfield spot is up for grabs as far as I am concerned. someone who can give and take a tackle is needed.

Totally disagree. 3rd spot for someone that can thread a ball through and has an eye for the killer ball, can get the ball beat 1-2 players, create something out of nothing..... in other words a replacement for will hughes.

This signing just doesn't excite me in the same way Pritchard and Butterfield did when I saw we are linked with them.

If Pritchard had been mentioned to you at the start of last season then you would have said similar things.This guy could have a major impact or not but if he does not get a chance somewhere no one will ever know.

Archived