Derby County v Middlesbrough

Mafiabob

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker on this forum. Just travelling back from the game and felt the need to post after reading some of the negativity on here!

I felt a point was very deserved on the basis of the game and all 3 wouldn't have flattered us, though as some have mentioned, we did seem devoid of ideas in the final third, a lot of back passing and sideways passing across the back four, with few incisive runs from the front 3. This may have been in part however to the opposition being defensively well drilled, high quality and executing a game plan very well, which was to nick a goal and restrict us as much as possible.

That being said, I don't think Boro are the world beaters some are making them out to be, they looked sluggish on the counter and made no threat to Carsons goal all game apart from the early goal. I think they will be leaving the iPro chuffed to have taken back a valuable point.

The positives to take from the game must be that we didn't give up on the game at any point, kept chipping away, and have come away from the game with something, whereas towards the end of last season it would have been nothing! Also Russell's finish was a cracker, the defence remained largely untroubled, and of course we are still unbeaten! 

No cause for concern I believe so far, Clements still getting used to this management lark. Give it time, and the results will come.

COYR!

For the first 15 mins or so we controlled the game. Once they scored they started to play and dominated for most of the first half. We were better second half but there were so many gaps down the wings crying out for Christie and Forsyth to exploit but weren't on the pitch to do so!! No overlapping play at all, shotton Baird and warlock pass the ball to our wide players and stand there expecting them to create a miracle.

not moaning just what I saw. I actually thought we played well for the most part but it was difficult as they had all their players behind the ball. Think they had 2 shots on target so we did a good job of hindering their attacks.

a bit too defensive for me at home but a reasonable performance and a good point against one of the top teams in the division

Thought we desperately lacked an attacking full back in that game as I thought we really lacked width.

Overall it was just a typical Boro game, they did the same against Noriwch last season where they scored and just put 10 men behind the ball all game.

Boro arguably have the best defence in the league and the best CDM in Leadbitter so it was always going to be a job to break them down, but we did in the end and I'm happy with a point.

I'm sure we will find our form this season, it is a shame about the injuries, but we will start winning games soon. 

COYR

I didn't watch the game, and had to put up with the Radio Derby laughing boys, but the thing I picked up most tonight from their commentary was a lack of movement and interchange across the front, and the fact that George Thorne looked knackered. 

Seems to me that the unavailability of 4 midfielders to pick from with 60 mins to go, already being 1-0 down, and a need to ensure we don't break George again, absolutely dictates putting Baird into midfield rather than Dawkins, and I am a big Dawkins fan. To get a draw from that position against the "mighty Boro" seems pretty creditable to me all in all.

We have only played 3 league games, we are unbeaten, the defence looks secure, we have a bit of money to fill some holes in midfield, and George is still fit. It is the forward line perhaps rather than Clement at the moment that needs to raise its general game play - their inconsistency is what is the problem at the moment; goals win games and one more this season would have had us sitting tonight with 5 points rather than 3. 

No doubt many of the wrist slashers will inevitably want to focus their hate tonight on Warnock, and perhaps Baird, but my concern currently sits with Martin, Weimann, Russell and Ince. Hopefully with a couple more games they might start finding their passes, runs and most importantly goals.

What does that even mean?

you said anyone who expects a win is delusional....therefore you must expect them to win every game.

They were good, but I actually thought last year they were better when they beat us....luckily the season lasts 46 games, not 3

you said anyone who expects a win is delusional....therefore you must expect them to win every game.

They were good, but I actually thought last year they were better when they beat us....luckily the season lasts 46 games, not 3

He probably didn't mean it literally. He is probably trying to say that a first choice boro 11 is better than a first choice derby 11 and he is right, that;s not even up for debate.

No, anyone who sees a win as the minimum is delusional. Of course you can win. there's a difference between it being possible to win and EXPECTING to win

I'm silly because I think that our performance was poor? I'm happy with the result but  our general attacking performance was not good out all. No intensity or urgency

we are down to the bare bones in the most important position on the park , if your midfield isn't functioning you are gabbed , this team will be fine , if we get to international break and still haven't lost and get some big players back n a couple of signings in there won't be a better team in this league 

If Boro are so good and our performance was so bad, how come the game was a draw?

Oh that's right, Boro came for a point and controlled the game so well, they threw away a lead to ensure they got what they came for. All of this done without the ball.

It's been a tough start to the season. Bolton away, I was quite happy with a point. First game of the season no one wants to lose, new manager, new formation, not a bad point away. Second game Charlton, signs of improvement throughout and on another day we would have put 3 or 4 past them. Tonight at this point having no Hughes or Bryson we lose Hendrick and Hanson through injury. We're playing one of the strongest sides in the league with 4 central midfielders injured and rescued a point. Hopefully we will add a couples of new faces in the transfer window and I'm confident it will all come together and we will be up there at the end of the season!!!!

1 - Did they even touch the ball before they scored?

2- it wasn't a particularly bad performance, just an incredibly infuriating one.

3- Boro didn't look like world beaters. Just an absolute textbook away performance.

4- keogh looks a new man.

5- Weimann is never a wide forward.

6 - Boro's forward pair, is it Kike and that Diego fella, will destroy some teams this season. Both looked very fleet of foot with the ball.

7- we seemed to shy from playing the ball into feet of players with their backs to goal, and instead looked to pass it into our non attack blessed fullbacks.

8 I saw Jack O'Connel chuffing a fag at half time.

9-If I'm ever served Bovril so hot again.....

Archived