Burton (Something) v Derby County

i-Ram

I will defend the Keogh bashers here slightly as we all have our favourites and turn a blind eye to things we wouldn't with other players, Martin for example against Villarreal, had that been Sammon doing a Bambi on ice impression there would have been groans all around. 

When you develop a real dislike for a player it's hard to see any good they bring to the team, I had it with Savage, still do actually. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having looked carefully at the goals that we let in during Pre Season and the goal scoring opportunities against us, I see certain things in common. Firstly we are often outnumbered by players on one side of the pitch. Against Burton four opposing players were free on the left totally unmarked on one occasion. We often get a fullback drawn into the centre which leaves a winger roaming about free. In pretty much all the cases, we have enough players in the generally area but two or three midfielders are simply watching to see if the back four are going to cope. They seem on occasions oblivious to the extra man loose on the wing. all the midfielders have to do us pick up any loose player and cut out the pass to him. getting behind the ball not igetting n the way of the back four will improve the goals against column.

http://aramseyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/pre-season-burton-albion-vs-derby-county.html

Blog post with my thoughts if anyone is interested. Should have got it out sooner but I was busy. Let me know if you agree/disagree.

There are some puzzling inconsistencies/errors.

You say that Burton gave us a stiffer test than normal

A) they didn't. They gave us a real tough time 2 years ago

B) Having made that comment, you said we could have been 4 or 5 up at the break

C) You fail to mention they hit the post early on. 

I think terrorised would have been better than terrorisation. As a word it has a vaguer definition making it more useful a word in this context.

Some good stuff though. Just think about what points you want to make and ensure you don't contradict them. Keep going.

It occurs to me that the u21s and U18s and I assume even younger players are going to have to learn the three formations that the first team squad is now learning. Wow. Surely this will increase the transfer value of any player that can master it.

There are some puzzling inconsistencies/errors.

You say that Burton gave us a stiffer test than normal

A) they didn't. They gave us a real tough time 2 years ago

B) Having made that comment, you said we could have been 4 or 5 up at the break

C) You fail to mention they hit the post early on. 

I think terrorised would have been better than terrorisation. As a word it has a vaguer definition making it more useful a word in this context.

Some good stuff though. Just think about what points you want to make and ensure you don't contradict them. Keep going.

Thanks sage, I appreciate the feedback. The point I was trying to make is that this is possibly the best Burton team we've come up against, they've got some quite good players now and are obviously promoted. It's not just their promotion to League One but also the fact that they've come on so much as a club. Maybe their performance wasn't the toughest test but maybe the magic words "on paper" would have better made the point.

I did fail to mention they hit the post, fair comment, hold my hands up. It'll always be a bit myopic with my posts though I think, nature of the beast! I'm not going for objectivity! But yeah that was worth mentioning.

Thanks sage, I appreciate the feedback. The point I was trying to make is that this is possibly the best Burton team we've come up against, they've got some quite good players now and are obviously promoted. It's not just their promotion to League One but also the fact that they've come on so much as a club. Maybe their performance wasn't the toughest test but maybe the magic words "on paper" would have better made the point.

I did fail to mention they hit the post, fair comment, hold my hands up. It'll always be a bit myopic with my posts though I think, nature of the beast! I'm not going for objectivity! But yeah that was worth mentioning.

Maybe a better way to make your point would have been 'This should have been a stiffer test than previous pre-season derbies between the two teams after Burton's recent promotion to League One. However it is a measure of how well Derby have recruited over the summer, that Burton were largely swept aside at the Pirelli Stadium.'

Or something like that  

Having looked carefully at the goals that we let in during Pre Season and the goal scoring opportunities against us, I see certain things in common. Firstly we are often outnumbered by players on one side of the pitch. Against Burton four opposing players were free on the left totally unmarked on one occasion. We often get a fullback drawn into the centre which leaves a winger roaming about free. In pretty much all the cases, we have enough players in the generally area but two or three midfielders are simply watching to see if the back four are going to cope. They seem on occasions oblivious to the extra man loose on the wing. all the midfielders have to do us pick up any loose player and cut out the pass to him. getting behind the ball not igetting n the way of the back four will improve the goals against column.

Welcome back Ninos. We have missed your posts and insights. Why did we fall to pieces in the last thirteen games of last season, in your opinion?

I will defend the Keogh bashers here slightly as we all have our favourites and turn a blind eye to things we wouldn't with other players, Martin for example against Villarreal, had that been Sammon doing a Bambi on ice impression there would have been groans all around. 

When you develop a real dislike for a player it's hard to see any good they bring to the team, I had it with Savage, still do actually. 

Him, Sammon and Jay McEveley for him.

It never looked good from the moment he went down.. Surprised Jamie Hanson didn't come off worse than he has done, tough as old boots, obviously.

To be fair, he hit Jamie Hanson and nearly bounced into the stand.

It never looked good from the moment he went down.. Surprised Jamie Hanson didn't come off worse than he has done, tough as old boots, obviously.

Disastrous result for the Burton player and the Club. Right at the end of the game so largely pointless collision.Big shame for all concerned.

Disastrous result for the Burton player and the Club. Right at the end of the game so largely pointless collision.Big shame for all concerned.

Sounds like he spent most of last season injured, so he's not having much luck!

Was just a 'swiss cheese' incident from something totally innocuous.

By that point in the match a few of their players had started going in for 'silly' challenges - it's unfortunate that he's injured but it only occured because he had a rush of blood to the head (but not the brain) and made a stupid lunge

no more stupid than Craig Forsyth challenges on their players. 

Archived