Where was Sir Brian's heart really ?

JakartaRam

As a old timer having had the privilege of watching us under his tendership  I would be interested in peoples views today on where Brian Clough's true affiliation was ?

If this has been raised before then I sincerely apologise

But was it with us or them ?

Just a few points to start off the debate (sorry but I can't be positive about anything down the A52)

Was their period of success just a reaction to Sam Longson's reported attitude towards him or love of tree hugging ?

Why was he an apparent supporter of the "Maxwell Out" campaign ?

Was it that he had total control at the red dog mansion ok 2 star hotel ?

Why was his commerative  service held at the then Pride Park and not the you know what floats ground ?

For me he was firstly north east but then a Ram

What do you guys think ? 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

I was under the impression that after he retired he had said in an interview that his time at Derby was the best and fondest time in his career, i cant say i know if there are any links to this though.

Also i thought he was due to return to Derby just before he joined Forest but it fell through.

Im guessing the reason the service was at pride park was Derby got in first, and his family are Derby based too.

Sincere thanks guys

What as small as Liverpool , we would have probably been bigger

Think it was actually 1977 he was going to return , Taylor wanted to but Cloughie bumped into Sam Longson in the BBG corridor and everything alleged went pear shaped !  

The Battle for Old Big 'Ead: Did Cloughie's heart belong to Derby or Forest?

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/battle-old-big-ead-did-cloughies-heart-belong-derby-or-forest#Cpaq7tZW5eVTAdpQ.99

"Having spent an enormous slice of my life with his old man – I followed Forest for the Nottingham Evening Post – I know he would have been ecstatic about the appointment. Clough was conscious of the need to share his affection equally between Derby and Forest. Although he won more, and stayed longer, at Forest, it nonetheless always struck me that he regarded his experiences at Derby as more uniquely personal and intimate to him, which was probably a contributory factor in his refusal to go back there in 1977 and again in 1983 when his former partner Peter Taylor tried to tempt him. I think he knew that it would be impossible to re-create what he’d once had. Confirmation came shortly before his death. “I wish I’d never left,” he said, of a decision he took 30 years earlier. “It was the best job I ever had… Some of my heart, wherever I have wandered, was in Derby.”

Clough’s heart is still there. But if you ask me to whom Brian Clough really belongs, I’d say unhesitatingly: to football, and the people who cherish it."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/battle-old-big-ead-did-cloughies-heart-belong-derby-or-forest#Cpaq7tZW5eVTAdpQ.99

I'm told  that the Clough family are still very angry with Forest for the way the failed to deal with, or even acknowledge, Brian's drinking in his later years as manager there. Nigel in particular still has plenty of bitterness towards them (dispite having enjoyed playing there), when he was approached to join us as manager Forest also asked him if he wanted to informally talk about their job (before Billy took it) he outright refused. 

Not that any of that speaks for Sir Brian himself

Is there a better source for this quote? 

It's a lovely quote for Derby fans but what must the great man's wife and children think about the highlight of his life comment.

to me nothing surpasses my children but then I have never nor probably will achieve 1% of what he did ! 

Both were special to him for different reasons, not sure you could really say either way with certainty. I think Forest probably love him more than we do though.

Many thanks , one of the various reasons for my post ie who loves him the most .My ex UK work friend tree huggers regularly said that (one of the labours of working in Snottinghamsire) . But were far less complimentary about his final year in fact sometimes quite disrespectful after everything he did for them. Never yet in 45 years I have heard a Derby fan say anything bad about the man .

It's a lovely quote for Derby fans but what must the great man's wife and children think about the highlight of his life comment.

to me nothing surpasses my children but then I have never nor probably will achieve 1% of what he did ! 

I think you'll find he was talking about his professional working career, I've got no doubt Mrs Clough and their children came before any football club, as it should be. 

A lot of people thought Brian and Peter fell out over the transfer of John Robertson ,the real reason as I understand it is in 1977 Brian wanted to return to Derby but Peter didn't .

Later Peter  on his own took over at Derby and this was the reason  for the fall out as Brian wanted to return at the earlier opportunity and Peter Taylor did not.

There was an article on Clough that I responded to on our TWTD website and gave a mention that the English made a big error in not giving him a try in the late 1970s as Greenwood and Robson did not have much of an effect and as with the latter, departed in '82 to take the national job and we wondered if he had stayed on at Portman Road, if the success could have a run a while longer.

I think a great many forget that Clough was an immense player in his day, a center forward of great proficiency that would be worth an astronomical sum in todays market, but doesn't get the recognition he deserves as people invariably look to his management resume.

Am aware that he took Derby to a league championship in the 1970s and forgive for saying it, the success both domestic and international at Notts Forest thereafter, and also aware of his partnership with Taylor and the eventual fallout (that never really fully healed)

You can only say so much about certain players or management but Clough at least was a rare breed.   Highly motivated and not afraid to speak his mind, he was a great success both as player and coach.   It was England's loss they never gave him the opportunity.

Sith Happens

I think very possibly rather than Derby or Forest, or even Sunderland or Boro, its the England job he never had, but deeply wanted? No one has said Leeds, wonder why?

I thought he had said the job he really regretted not having was Manchester Utd.

Brian Clough took Derby from a run down football club to the elite of English football,with Taylor and Longsdon,

the journey was magical.The board and manager fell out.The manager left,but it left Derby a top club.

Of course he always had a soft spot for us.

Forest were a top ,club in English football ,and spent most of there history in the top tear.

But he took them to levels they never dare dream of in 20 years with them,he even brought magic into their lives.,

and wonderful memorys.

His heart is here  on the a52 the Brian clough way,where history was made

Sorry fans we have to share him.              Roll on the next derby,Wardy says  ILL BE BACK

Archived