Jake Buxton

DCFC1388

I doubt Buxton will be leaving. We struggled for centre half cover at the end of last season and have the same amount of CHs now as we did then. No need to sell, and he is a player we can rely on to perform at a good championship level. Why sell him.

I don't think Bucko will want to leave, if he did then there would be stories, leaked by agents to papers.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Buxton will be leaving. We struggled for centre half cover at the end of last season and have the same amount of CHs now as we did then. No need to sell, and he is a player we can rely on to perform at a good championship level. Why sell him.

I don't think Bucko will want to leave, if he did then there would be stories, leaked by agents to papers.

Have a "like" for using the term "centre half" instead of centre back.

Have a "like" for using the term "centre half" instead of centre back.

Don't want to be pedantic here Utch, which means I am just about to be, but the term centre half comes from when the half backs (3) sat in front of the fullbacks (2).

..................................Keeper.............................

Fullback...............................................Fullback

Right Half.................Centre Half...............Left Half.

Modern football has centre backs as in the middle of a straight back four......so there!! :p

Don't want to be pedantic here Utch, which means I am just about to be, but the term centre half comes from when the half backs (3) sat in front of the fullbacks (2).

Modern football has centre backs as in the middle of a straight back four......so there!! :p

Explain inside rights (forwards) for me, didn't understand it when reading Steve Bloomers book

Explain inside rights (forwards) for me, didn't understand it when reading Steve Bloomers book

The position of inside forward was popularly used in the late nineteenth and first half of the 20th centuries. The inside forwards would support the centre forwards, running and making space in the opposition defence, and, as the passing game developed, supporting him with passes.

Could be wrong, Wikipedia.

Then, the left and right in a 4-3-3 were inside forwards, as were advanced attacking midfielders.

bugger off with yer new-fangled ways:p

Kevin Hector was an inside right and Durban was an inside left does that help. 

born in 97 so that's as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Know what a sweeper is but inside forwards baffle me

Centre Forward

Inside Left         Inside Right

That's what I think it is :huh:

Outside left and outside right .

A Hinton  and Stanley Matthews respectively 

Remember them. 

Tommy Lawton was a Centre Forward I now remember. 

.................................................Keeper...................................

...............Fullback......................................................Fullback

Right Half................................Centre Half............................Left Half

Outside Right...Inside Right...Centre Forward...inside left...Outside left.

Swiftly back on topic.... Shack Keogh Pearce Shotton Buxton.... I do think that out them all Bucko will struggle to get back close to starting XI.

Really think you might see him go. Initially on loan somewhere... At his age he will want to be playing regularly, and I don't think he won't get that here this season.

Cover or not... I think he'd rather be playing football.

Swiftly back on topic.... Shack Keogh Pearce Shotton Buxton.... I do think that out them all Bucko will struggle to get back close to starting XI.

Really think you might see him go. Initially on loan somewhere... At his age he will want to be playing regularly, and I don't think he won't get that here this season.

Cover or not... I think he'd rather be playing football.

But if he does get in, and he certainly should ahead of Shotton, he will on previous history be difficult to shift. I haven't seen anything in any of the other four that suggests they are better centre halves.

bugger off with yer new-fangled ways:p

Football over the ages...

N00b: "Something something modern football superior something false nine"

Utch/Eddie: "Something something O'Hare" (also kicks n00b in rowlocks)

Successfully explained.

But if he does get in, and he certainly should ahead of Shotton, he will on previous history be difficult to shift. I haven't seen anything in any of the other four that suggests they are better centre halves.

I would say Shackell and Keogh are better... Can't say Pearce. Agree with Shots but he's not bad cover at RB either... Also Baird if push comes to shove...

There the reasons (unfortunately) will lead to him leaving... Happy to be proved wrong as always

I would say Shackell and Keogh are better... Can't say Pearce. Agree with Shots but he's not bad cover at RB either... Also Baird if push comes to shove...

There the reasons (unfortunately) will lead to him leaving... Happy to be proved wrong as always

This conversation/point of view has been stated (although not always as eloquently) every single time we have signed a new centre-half (:P). I.e. it signals the end for Sir Jake, but every time, the local hero has forced his way back into the side.

One day, it will be true. My guess is not yet.

I can't agree with Keogh as I like centre halves to be a tad calmer than he is. It will be interesting to see how Shackell has changed in the time that he has been away with different coaches etc. Buxton has a disadvantage of being out of the pre-season teams with the new coach, I think he will want to stick around to try and get a place but if it doesn't happen, I agree that he will be better served by playing regularly elsewhere in the Championship.

Archived