Omar Mascarell

Animal is a Ram

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/03/newcastle-could-rival-derby-for-mascarell/?utm_medium=share service&utm_campaign=social media&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=HITCdeadlineday

HITC Sport understands Derby County face competition from several clubs in England and Spain for Omar Mascarell.

HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club that Derby County have an option to make Omar Mascarell's loan move permanent, with several other clubs waiting in the wings to sign him.

Mascarell enjoyed a successful season on loan at Derby last term, making 30 appearances in all competitions before his season was cut short in March by a foot injury.

Mascarell's absence from the side coincided with Derby's dramatic late collapse, as they went from top of theChampionship to eventually missing out on the play-offs.

Derby have the option in the loan deal to make Mascarell's move permanent and Rams boss Paul Clement is weighing up keeping the talented midfielder.

However, a number of other sides are monitoring the situation of the Real Madrid midfielder and are ready to rival the Rams for the 21-year-old's signature.

Former Derby boss Steve McClaren is thought be considering making a move to bring Mascarell tonNewcastle United having been impressed by the Spaniard while working with him last season.

La Liga side Deportivo La Coruna have also expressed an interest in taking the central midfielder back to his homeland and are ready to pounce should Derby not take up their option on the Spain Under 21 international.

Probably just lazy linking... would you have him back? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know John very well, but as I've said before, each self-sourced piece has to be verified as coming from an identified, reliable source internally. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us have a clause in the loan deal to sign him on a permanent basis, but I don't know if Omar would come back.

Two reasons: 1) he was treated like **** by the fans and 2) he will likely have some better offers. I imagine a queue of La Liga clubs will take him in a heartbeat.

I personally think he has a very bright future, and I saw more from him than I ever did Bueno. If he was to sign, I think he would play a fairly big part - probably in a more advanced postion. 

We heard at the end of the year that Derby would not be trying to sign Omar if we didn't get promoted, I think the "option" if there was one, relied on that achievement. He may not be at such a level yet that top level clubs are falling over themselves for him, but I think he's higher rated by Madrid than you'd think value wise, and probably more money than he's worth currently, especially for a championship team to spend.

Can we have Eustace back instead?

I'd take Mascarell in a creative CM role over Eustace in DM tbh. If we still had McClaren I'd take Eustace though. Then again if we had McClaren I doubt Eustace would have been released.

I think Clement would help him and to add 1 thing for his game tbh. I still think we would have finished in top 6 with him (had he not been injured from Norwich game onwards though)

Am I the only one who wasn't that keen. Would I want him back? I think there's better out there.

We played a lot better with Eustace in holding mid, but I wouldn't mind us bringing him back if it was fairly cheap and he was to be used in a more advanced role or in a 2 man holding midfield rather than alone

Am I the only one who wasn't that keen. Would I want him back? I think there's better out there.

Not many better who are 22 or younger and affordable. Not that I think Omar's affordable. I think Madrid would want around £5m for him.

I managed to get him for £450k on Football Manager after his loan expired. He stayed a firm fans favourite and I eventually sold him for £8m three or four seasons later when he didn't quite develop into the player I hoped he would.

Just saying.

Archived