The 1884 Group

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Gutted if I lose my seat. I'm pretty much dead on the half way line in the east stand, about 3-4 seats to the left of it. Reckon my seat will have some dirty Glory Hunter sat in it? (And not myself)

Nah, mossy is hoping its on tv.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Didn't I read somewhere last season that every Man Utd FA Cup tie for about the last eight season's had been televised? 

Guaranteed viewing figures with all their plastics and the rest of the country hoping to see them get hammered.

Goes without saying that the efforts with the flags etc are fantastic but...

why does the pre match announcer have to keep saying 'come on get those flags waving, starting with the north stand, now the south stand...' And 'get behind your team' etc etc 

I'm finding it really cringeworthy 

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Goes without saying that the efforts with the flags etc are fantastic but...

why does the pre match announcer have to keep saying 'come on get those flags waving, starting with the north stand, now the south stand...' And 'get behind your team' etc etc 

I'm finding it really cringeworthy 

Yeah I find it embarrassing too. We've turned the music down and now we make even less noise as well. Kind of feel like the novelty is wearing off, the chanting is so lacklustre.

Last night was a bit of a, and I really like this word, and feel it apt, clusterfuck, from start to finish.

We had to move all the flags to North Stand only as we don't have enough volunteers to manage the whole stadium every game. Nobody told the announcer so he ended up telling everyone to wave flags when there weren't any! I will be feeding back to the club that all we need is him to say the players are coming out and lets hear you. So later than at present.

As for the music, majority of fans wanted it turning down. The players and manager didn't by the way! So we got it turned down, and now nobody sings pre-match, we can't have it both ways!!!

The whole game was crap but we, as fans, have to take responsibility too. Even Steve Bloomer's Watching was pathetic. We seem to be so reactive as fans, if things don't go our way, it's either like going to the theatre with people saying "entertain me", or it gets poisonous like last night where every mistake is pulled apart. It started after 6 minutes last night. Now the football was awful last night, and everyone has the right to go to the football to vent their frustrations, but surely we all realise it's not going to motivate the team to do better.

The million dollar question is, how do we change that culture? Any ideas welcome.

10 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Last night was a bit of a, and I really like this word, and feel it apt, clusterfuck, from start to finish.

We had to move all the flags to North Stand only as we don't have enough volunteers to manage the whole stadium every game. Nobody told the announcer so he ended up telling everyone to wave flags when there weren't any! I will be feeding back to the club that all we need is him to say the players are coming out and lets hear you. So later than at present.

As for the music, majority of fans wanted it turning down. The players and manager didn't by the way! So we got it turned down, and now nobody sings pre-match, we can't have it both ways!!!

The whole game was crap but we, as fans, have to take responsibility too. Even Steve Bloomer's Watching was pathetic. We seem to be so reactive as fans, if things don't go our way, it's either like going to the theatre with people saying "entertain me", or it gets poisonous like last night where every mistake is pulled apart. It started after 6 minutes last night. Now the football was awful last night, and everyone has the right to go to the football to vent their frustrations, but surely we all realise it's not going to motivate the team to do better.

The million dollar question is, how do we change that culture? Any ideas welcome.

Unfortunately we are suffering from "glory hunter" syndrome. Nothing that can be done about that. Probably a few years of mid table Championship might do it, but in the mean time it's something we've got to accept that everyone has crawled out of the woodwork and if we're not beating Man United with our reserves then they will boo. 

I don't mind the volume of the music but I think it's the music they chose that's not right. Who can start clapping etc to AC/DC?? Can anyone say why they play what they do? When they used to play The Dambusters it cranked up the atmosphere no end. I used to be right up for it hearing that. Even playing Tom Hark or something would be more of an atmosphere starter. 

I've said on another thread that a good atmosphere could have influenced that garbage last night (who knows?). I've also mentioned in the past that our fans can be toxic and petulant. 

I wish I had the answer to your question but I'll put some thought into it 

Archived