The 1884 Group

I like the idea of more, smaller flags with club icons on.

I might draw a Ram on me hanky.

thats pretty radical for West Stand.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Can you draw a decent Ram? I'm useless.

Yes i can draw a decent Ram......

i got a lot of practice drawing it all over the Forest fan's desk at work.

​Its not the song, its the inspiration, getting all or most of the SS to join in is the aim.

When did football fans become snobbish about copying songs anyrode. If it creates a great atmosphere and gets behind the team AND,we enjoy it...it makes no difference if someone, somewhere has once sang something similar.

We used to sing YNWA, loudly and passionately back in the 70's on the Popside, so feckin what!

There's a pathetic amount of snobbery about it not being "cool" to sing this or that song, its total bollux. I don't care what we sing as long as 4,000 are bouncing and encouraging the rest of the ground to join in.

So there.

​Who said I was criticising? Just checking what I should be searching for on YouTube. 

The problem is not that new songs are needed. It's that the variety of songs and chants has diminished. We have a collection but it's always the same 3/4. We seem to have basically dropped 3/4 good ones. For no real reason. But I welcome any new decent songs/chants. More flags would be great. 

I'm always dubious of these groups when they get started in this country. If the group is taking inspiration from Morherwells group (not a bad thing) are they planning on going down the proper 'ultra' route like Motherwell, or is it going to be similar to groups at clubs such as City or Watford.

I think either aspect would be fine, however in my opinion the last thing out support needs is a group claiming to be 'ultra' and then signing barmy army and paying £40 for a ticket to Norwich away.... 

I'm always dubious of these groups when they get started in this country. If the group is taking inspiration from Morherwells group (not a bad thing) are they planning on going down the proper 'ultra' route like Motherwell, or is it going to be similar to groups at clubs such as City or Watford.

I think either aspect would be fine, however in my opinion the last thing out support needs is a group claiming to be 'ultra' and then signing barmy army and paying £40 for a ticket to Norwich away.... 

I don't think the good folk of Derby will go for an ultras style group! Just looking to create a better atmosphere, with songs we all know, flags, banners and supporting the team as much as possible.

It's not like an ultras thing. Those groups tend to be too exclusive, just one guy and about 50 of his mates running the show. Similar to the way it was with Flagman and his mates in the south stand this past season, and it's embarrassing. The people in that stand need to "be part of it" if you'll excuse the horrible DCFC marketing slogan.

There's a difference between the atmosphere coming from an exclusive ultras group and those ultras alone, and a group like this trying to get the message out and get everyone involved in an inclusive way.

I don't think the good folk of Derby will go for an ultras style group! Just looking to create a better atmosphere, with songs we all know, flags, banners and supporting the team as much as possible.

​Spot on mate.

If you support the idea and you're on Twitter, give the group a follow, we can't do it if people don't take an active interest, need us all to work together.

Already Followed (@baronmad79) 

Wouldn't Facebook be a better place for this? or are they going for 140 character chants? 124 characters after you've added the username in the tweet.

Can link the Twitter account so when you post a status it tweets out an abbreviated version of the status with a link.

I'd even throw up a South Stand forum board on here if there was enough demand and used seriously

Fac​ebook is so last century - seriously. It's pretty much the Internet Explorer of social networks. Try to keep up!

Look Johnny Russell's singing this one.

"Song, song of the South'"

"Derby till I die, Forest shut your mouth,"

"1884, never gone with the wind,"

"There ain't nobody looking back again,"

​That reminds me actually... Forgot to post this.

Found in a history book (talking about Lord John Russell of the 19th century:

11048753_10205926568538561_6247843596767

...said no left back ever

I feel like the main problem with the South Stand is the range of chants and the topics they cover. Why are we singing about bloody Collymore when he hasn't been relevant for 20 years or so?

There's no adoration of our current crop of players, no inventive chants created for them. I can imagine if the majority of my life was dedicated to following this bloke, hauling a flag up and down the country to follow the team he loves, I'd come up with a more imaginative chant than 'Hughesy, Hughesy'.

There were points last year where a lot of fans were talking about how low on confidence some individuals were, but there wasn't a single effort to get behind them and boost them with a chant of their own. We basically only have one way to influence what goes on in a game, by turning up in numbers and being loud, why aren't we utilising that small power and giving our players a bit of love.

I remember some spiel being dropped that they were trying simple, memorable chants to get as many people involved as possible. How on earth did the 11 line chant about an ex-Forest player from the 90's fit into that criteria? How can we be creative about Collymore and not Craig Forsyth?

I feel like the main problem with the South Stand is the range of chants and the topics they cover. Why are we singing about bloody Collymore when he hasn't been relevant for 20 years or so?

There's no adoration of our current crop of players, no inventive chants created for them. I can imagine if the majority of my life was dedicated to following this bloke, hauling a flag up and down the country to follow the team he loves, I'd come up with a more imaginative chant than 'Hughesy, Hughesy'.

There were points last year where a lot of fans were talking about how low on confidence some individuals were, but there wasn't a single effort to get behind them and boost them with a chant of their own. We basically only have one way to influence what goes on in a game, by turning up in numbers and being loud, why aren't we utilising that small power and giving our players a bit of love.

I remember some spiel being dropped that they were trying simple, memorable chants to get as many people involved as possible. How on earth did the 11 line chant about an ex-Forest player from the 90's fit into that criteria? How can we be creative about Collymore and not Craig Forsyth?

So join the group and help ?

Archived