Mascarell not returning

maydrakin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wont let me quote your response but no ambitious, just no.  Eustace has a better pass completion rate and hes 35. The guy is a liability and obviously the club don't think that highly of him either since he is not even considered to be coming back even when we are desperate for a cdm. 

@Simsy obviously Eustace will have a better pass completion rate as Mascarell has probably double the possession that Eustace does, and is also naturally expected to try a more varied range of passes, such as through balls and distance passes. Surely you understand that the harder the thing you're trying, the more likely you are to fail. Eustace barely plays a pass over more than 20 yards.

Wasn't a fan of him, too inexperienced to play the role properly and weak in the tackle, think you need far more steel in that position than he could offer. Also dubious about him playing further forward, his shooting was poor and most of his better passing seemed to be sideways orientated. Plus made a fair few costly errors that led to goals and we were very weak away from home most times he played. Obviously, we deteriorated further after he dropped out as we just seemed to give up on playing anyone at all in that role.

@Simsy obviously Eustace will have a better pass completion rate as Mascarell has probably double the possession that Eustace does, and is also naturally expected to try a more varied range of passes, such as through balls and distance passes. Surely you understand that the harder the thing you're trying, the more likely you are to fail. Eustace barely plays a pass over more than 20 yards.

​check the last 6/7 comments hes that good a lot of us are clearly gutted about it :L  You could be right though he could be trying 20 yard through balls more then eustace and failing. Ild rather we kept the ball.

I thought he looked like a decent player...given too much defensive responsibility for a player of his type.  Was expected to to protect a brittle back 4, which he attempted to do..but clearly that's not his strength.  Looked comfortable on the ball...and tried a wide range of passing (not always accurate as you would expect when trying difficult passes), will do fine in La Liga.

wont let me quote your response but no ambitious, just no.  Eustace has a better pass completion rate and hes 35. The guy is a liability and obviously the club don't think that highly of him either since he is not even considered to be coming back even when we are desperate for a cdm. 

​Eustace used to win the ball and play it 5 yards to somebody else. 

Mascarell used to try and force things to happen with through balls, a mix of long and short passes. Obviously this will be detrimental to his pass completion but I'd rather he try them than just pass the ball to our centre backs!

il'd rather the CDM break up play keep the ball and the play flowing. why try an ambitious pass when you have hendrick and hughes in front of you who are better passers of the ball? Give it them to build the attack.

​George Thorne last season, his ambitious passes from CDM took our team to another level. Being able to pass the ball in that CDM role also means that we will have more possession and therefore invite less pressure onto the defence so they don't have to break up the play as much in the first place. 

I do agree though that if it was a choice between someone who is very good at breaking up the play and someone who is good at passing forward I would have someone who is defensively sound. 

I was underwhelmed by Mascarell in the end, because we needed better but he clearly is a CDM. Thorne is exceptional for someone his age in that position and there would have been a time in Eustace's early career where he would have looked as shaky as Omar did in spells. He'll be a good CDM - he's not bad at anything, and that's a good platform to work from. But he wasn't particularly good at anything either, or if he was, he only showed it in flashes. Once or twice it did all come together, and that would be exciting if it was our own player we were developing.

The reason why I don't buy this "he's not a CDM" thing is that we so clearly went backwards without him. His passing was positive, sometimes a little too positive, and his tackling was brilliant when it paid off. But it was better than nothing. He was our 3rd choice CDM but with Bryson and Hughes running about everywhere, with two wingers who are basically secondary strikers, and full-backs which go on Baggins-esque adventures down the wing, protection for the defence is vital- even if it was an inexperienced Spaniard who was struggling to adapt to the English game.

When we lost Omar on top of Eustace and Thorne, we had two choices. Play Hanson as a CDM and get lots of sideways passes and never look like scoring, or go without one and try and get to the playoffs by out-scoring the lack of protection. Maybe we went with the wrong choice but there was reasoning behind it. I know we played Norwich and Boro which were tough games, but scoring directly from a corner was our only goal with Hanson in the side and we didn't get any closer than that thereafter. We defended better in those games that many of the latter ones because we had the protection, but against Boro in particular we were so easy to play against - simply get every man back in position and let Hanson pop the ball about to the easy options and, and wait for someone to make a mistake and pounce. Three points. Thank you very much.

If there's one player we played in that position who isn't a CDM for this level, it's Jamie Hanson. As things stand he's a good U21 CB. Anyway, I'm convinced it would have been a very different story if Mascarell had stayed fit. We wouldn't have got automatically promoted, but no way would we have conceded 10 goals in the final three games, and we would have collected more than two points.

I felt Hanson did pretty well in that role in the few games he played, I think for both Norwich and Boro we had Russell at centre forward completely unable to hold the ball so that was a big factor in us not being able to build anything, rather than a fault of the CDM. I don't think Eustace for example is any great creator of chances so wouldn't say the lack of a threat was particularly down to Hanson playing, after he was left out it became pretty much a shambles for the rest of the season.

I was underwhelmed by Mascarell in the end, because we needed better but he clearly is a CDM. Thorne is exceptional for someone his age in that position and there would have been a time in Eustace's early career where he would have looked as shaky as Omar did in spells. He'll be a good CDM - he's not bad at anything, and that's a good platform to work from. But he wasn't particularly good at anything either, or if he was, he only showed it in flashes. Once or twice it did all come together, and that would be exciting if it was our own player we were developing.

The reason why I don't buy this "he's not a CDM" thing is that we so clearly went backwards without him. His passing was positive, sometimes a little too positive, and his tackling was brilliant when it paid off. But it was better than nothing. He was our 3rd choice CDM but with Bryson and Hughes running about everywhere, with two wingers who are basically secondary strikers, and full-backs which go on Baggins-esque adventures down the wing, protection for the defence is vital- even if it was an inexperienced Spaniard who was struggling to adapt to the English game.

When we lost Omar on top of Eustace and Thorne, we had two choices. Play Hanson as a CDM and get lots of sideways passes and never look like scoring, or go without one and try and get to the playoffs by out-scoring the lack of protection. Maybe we went with the wrong choice but there was reasoning behind it. I know we played Norwich and Boro which were tough games, but scoring directly from a corner was our only goal with Hanson in the side and we didn't get any closer than that thereafter. We defended better in those games that many of the latter ones because we had the protection, but against Boro in particular we were so easy to play against - simply get every man back in position and let Hanson pop the ball about to the easy options and, and wait for someone to make a mistake and pounce. Three points. Thank you very much.

If there's one player we played in that position who isn't a CDM for this level, it's Jamie Hanson. As things stand he's a good U21 CB. Anyway, I'm convinced it would have been a very different story if Mascarell had stayed fit. We wouldn't have got automatically promoted, but no way would we have conceded 10 goals in the final three games, and we would have collected more than two points.

So omar was poo and Hanson less butters?

A CDM in Spain is likely to be very different to a CDM here. Used to a lot more time on the ball, more possession, everything. I disagree that he isn't a player for that position, but probably not a player for that position in this league.

I liked him. I would happily take him back for next season, but *IF* we have Thorne back for most of it, he most certainly would not be first choice. Probably third, if Eustace signs a new deal. If there's something he had that that we were lacking, was a decent set piece delivery.

Archived