Newcastle United boss wants 'protection from abuse'

WestKentRam

Saw this on the BBC website and the words 'frying pan' and 'fire' comes to mind, although I think it will be a lot hotter in Newcastle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32469230

Newcastle boss John Carver has called for more protection from the club after saying he was "abused" by fans during Saturday's 3-2 defeat by Swansea.

A seventh straight loss left United five points above the Premier League relegation zone with four games to go.

Carver was confronted by angry home fans during the club's lowest attended game of the season.

"I am not going to stand out there and be abused during the game. The club has to do something about it," he said. 

"I knew it wouldn't be easy. Sometimes it is quite difficult to stand in that technical area and be abused the way I was abused without any protection from the sidelines."

"They expect me to put the ball in the net, stop the headers going in, stop the opposition from scoring," said the 50-year-old.

"I can't affect that. I can't get on the end of the corner and head the ball clear which would have kept us one up at half-time. I can't do that."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newcastle are a little like the Gumps, expect far more than they are capable of nowadays, and it has got worse every year.  I know a few old school Newcastle fans and when we meet up they are saying that its the fans ruining the club as they hate Ashley and nothing he can do will ever be right unless they buy the title.

Carver may just have played a great hand in getting the job at Newcastle. 

Comments like this are always going to put off potential McClaren managers so it's a very clever ploy. I don't doubt he's telling the truth though.

McClaren would have to hit the ground running in order to avoid the cauldron of hate that is the Sports Direct arena. 

Quit, I would. Even you turn it around like Pardew did they will still give you abuse. Strange bunch Newcastle fans, not sure where they think this squad should actually be. 

Mainly France, Ligue 2, I would think.

Difficult for Carver - he is a Newcastle man, through and through, it is in his blood and he is probably more devoted to his club (being a football man) than we are to Derby.  Very hard to walk away.  As someone else said on this thread, unless you are winning things you have no chance at that club.  Fickle feckers.

Archived