Will Hughes in the south stand on Saturday

Last June, a week or so after Wembley, Will was in the Dragon pub at Willington on raft race day (involving the river Trent).  We were in the neighbouring pub and heard he was there.  I told my son who, with his friends, skipped over hoping for an autograph.  Will was being beseiged by youngsters and didnt rebuff any of them, signed my son's football and was generally very pleasant, despite having to keep moving around just to get some space.  He's a nice lad, and has potential to be a great midfielder, hope we can keep him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I had my ear nibbled by a fellow fan when Derby drew 3-3 with Sheff Wed in the FA Cup in the 90's.  First time I have admitted that, it seems wrong when it is written down.  I was younger than Will in those days, he ought to watch out.

​I don't even want to ask why. Just knowing it happened is enough. 

​I think it was the Nicholson goal (although I might be wrong).  As much as I liked the goal and the game, I didn't want any part of me to end up in another mans mouth.

Correct on Nicholson, he later tested positive for drugs later in his career

Correct on Nicholson, he later tested positive for drugs later in his career

​I know Nicholson scored (although technically didn't the ball hit the bar then the keeper?).  I also remember that we signed Nicholson after deadline day meaning he couldn't play for the remainder of the season but it stopped Man Utd sniffing around.

What I can't remember is whether it was that point in the game that saw me molested!

After talking about Shane Nicholson I am going to add him in the hardman and best XI threads.  Loved him.

​I know Nicholson scored (although technically didn't the ball hit the bar then the keeper?).  I also remember that we signed Nicholson after deadline day meaning he couldn't play for the remainder of the season but it stopped Man Utd sniffing around.

What I can't remember is whether it was that point in the game that saw me molested!

After talking about Shane Nicholson I am going to add him in the hardman and best XI threads.  Loved him.

​Yeah, it was. I still lobe you.

:D

you sure about the deadline bit? he signed in 1992 (April)

wasn't this game in 1993 - the current transfer window didn't start until 2002. Before that the deadline was March 31st so would have been eligible for all of 1992-93 season.

maybe he just didn't get picked

wasn't this game in 1993 - the current transfer window didn't start until 2002. Before that the deadline was March 31st so would have been eligible for all of 1992-93 season.

I think we signed Nicholson from Lincoln at the end of the previous season, after the final deadline as described above.

That 3-3 v Weds must be the most talked about drawn game of all time as far as this board is concerned. I still think it is my favourite BBG memory (though not old enough to recall the Champ-winning sides or Div 3 North before I start getting ripped to shreds on here). Not guilty re the ear lobe, but I do recall trying desperately to help up a guy on his hands and knees who was being squashed by the surging popside, to discover that his car keys had come out of his pocket during the Nicholson goal celebration. I think he found them about 20 yards away eventually.

Although... while I endorse not harassing him and just letting him enjoy the game, if he was that bothered he probably wouldn't have said it on Twitter. Asking for it.

​I remember when we went to the Hawthorns last match of the season 1995/6 we had already been promoted and most first teamers were rested Gabiadini,Van Der Laan and Ron Williams were signing autographs right through the match 

Brill day

Although... while I endorse not harassing him and just letting him enjoy the game, if he was that bothered he probably wouldn't have said it on Twitter. Asking for it.

​I remember when we went to the Hawthorns last match of the season 1995/6 we had already been promoted and most first teamers were rested Gabiadini,Van Der Laan and Ron Williams were sat with the Derby fans signing autographs right through the match 

Brill day

​Sorry it is the way I told it, I was referring to two different stories.  As you say he signed after the deadline in 1992 meaning he had to sit out of the remainder of the season.  The game, in 1993 - one of my favourite 2 BBG games (the other being when we beat Coventry 3-2 after being 2-0 down, also in the FA Cup) definitely featured Nicholson.

Just for the record

Footage of the Sheff Wed game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcomGMOL6yA - Kitson gave the ball away for their third goal when we had one foot in the semi's.  Some team Sheff Wed had - Waddle, Sheridan, Palmer, Anderson, Bright, Woods etc.

This is the Coventry game I mention.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/derby-county-v-coventry-city-26-february-1997-25552/

Archived