Derby County vs Brentford

Carl Sagan

Positives: Safe Standing banner, all the tw*ts that leave early to "beat the traffic" who park right next to the ground missed the last minute equaliser, for once it wasn't us on the end of last minute heartbreak, that feeling after we scored of "Oh my days... How?".

Negatives: Awful kick-off time, misjudged how cold it was, completely horrible performance that was probably the worst we've been under McClaren - baffling team selection, formation and game plan.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positives: Safe Standing banner, all the tw*ts that leave early to "beat the traffic" who park right next to the ground missed the last minute equaliser, for once it wasn't us on the end of last minute heartbreak, that feeling after we scored of "Oh my days... How?".

Negatives: Awful kick-off time, misjudged how cold it was, completely horrible performance that was probably the worst we've been under McClaren - baffling team selection, formation and game plan.

Sky sports don't care about the fans and kick off times. They're only bothered about the ££££££

Automatics has been dead for a few weeks now. Just need to try and finish fourth as get to play at home in second leg. That is if we manage to make playoffs.

A lot said about Hendricks and Bryson not being able to play together but I also think bent and Martin don't compliment each other either. Our game did revolve around quick passing in and around Martin who held it up and brought others in. With bent it is more over the top which doesn't suit our game, when we're on it that is.

Would rather have seen Ward come on than Dawkins as we needed to create not simply hold the ball. Dawkins doesn't create or score!!

I am also not so sure about the team spirit and togetherness anymore, thought I'd throw that one in!!

First half we were tactically destroyed. 442 with Bryson and Hendrick. It was Nigel Clough era.

It wasn't 442. It was February 2012 all over again.  

4---------4----2. 

Brentford parked the 3 of theit 4231 in that big gap.

What do you do about that? 

Nothing without a sub. Because 442 is barbarian formation that's got no flexibility at all. You can't change owt. 

Furthermore the midfield 2 have no defensive qualities. As seen by the goal when one gets frustrated that he can't cross the halfway line so he forces it. Then the other one follows. 

Huge gap. 

Bryson can't win any tackles. He can't pass beyond the end of his nose. What use is he unless he's 20 yards from goal.

Hendrick is just a bit dozy. But there's potential for him in the right team. He's not smart though and so he can't run the game.

As for Ince and Russell. Well they had to run 30 yards just to get in the position that they would want to start in. 

Brentford were patient when they had to be and all their possession had a threat. They were trying to create that gap for their 3. They were toying with us. As soon as that gap was their they were so attacking. 

The change at HT sort of addressed the problem in that we had a player to actually sit and shield the defence. But it was Hendrick. He doesn't want that job and he's not aware enough to do it. 

Tactically destroyed and the passing was lazy. A deadly combination  and to get a point was as much robbery as Brum getting a point off us

Agreed - rest were shockin. Forsyth distribution amateurish

​I thought Keogh and Hendrick were ok.

Forsyth had the worst performance I have seen him have and that is a pretty bold statement.  If his pass completion was 25% I would be surprised, he was that bad it was laughable.  Did anyone else here the ironic cheers when he actually passed to another player.

His vision was superb? He didn't create a single chance in a whole half. I give him his due he keeps the ball well but he doesn't create anything

​Are you serious?

It's hard to create a clear-cut chance playing the way we did, but the amount of times he picked out a player free in space just outside the area was great to see. If our attacking players had any initiative, we would have created much more.

His movement and passing ability was a joy to watch and the only good thing about us in the second half.

Agreed - rest were shockin. Forsyth distribution amateurish

​I thought Keogh and Hendrick were ok.

Forsyth had the worst performance I have seen him have and that is a pretty bold statement.  If his pass completion was 25% I would be surprised, he was that bad it was laughable.  Did anyone else here the ironic cheers when he actually passed to another player.

I watched him and Hendrick specifically today. They were all over the place. Awful defensively. Hendrick tried to force the game a bit tbf.

Watch them for the goal. Bryson starts off in a good position and then charges off into an awful one. 

They can't play together. They haven't got qualities that cover each others weaknesses. As a lone 2 in midfield... how many years does it take before it sinks in

Asking Bryso to play sitting midfielder is as stupid as Keogh at right back and as stupid as Chris Martin on left wing and as stupid as playing an unfit Johnny Russell 

the manager got away with one at Wigan cause they were awful but some of his decisions baffle me 

Such a disappointing end to what was shaping us as kicking on from last year and getting top 2, even champions. Now we are looking at limping home. We look a shadow of the team we once were.

I watched him and Hendrick specifically today. They were all over the place. Awful defensively. Hendrick tried to force the game a bit tbf.

Watch them for the goal. Bryson starts off in a good position and then charges off into an awful one. 

They can't play together. They haven't got qualities that cover each others weaknesses. As a lone 2 in midfield... how many years does it take before it sinks in

Asking Bryso to play sitting midfielder is as stupid as Keogh at right back and as stupid as Chris Martin on left wing and as stupid as playing an unfit Johnny Russell 

the manager got away with one at Wigan cause they were awful but some of his decisions baffle me 

Mcclaren is so stupid at times. Why play Russell when he has been sick all day and when we have 3 capable wingers on the bench?

Also I never want to see hendrick and bryson in the same team again. It's like watching dumb and dumber, i was tearing my hair out at times watching them.

Thirdly,was it his masterplan to play martin at lw. If that is the best he can come up I will happily drive him up to newcastle myself.

Don't get me started on forsyth. At least buxton's distribution was good before he got injured a few games ago.​

First Ive heard of Russell being sick 

Would love to see Dawkisn start alongside Hughes in central midfield.

Why play Hendrick or Bryson? They can't tackle, and their 'physical presence' actually offers us nothing.

Dawks racked up 92.9% completed passes and his vision was superb. Pity the strikers were off.

​Dawkins might have got 92% pass completion (where do you find this sort of thing out?) but it never felt like it during the game.  And the only pass that he tried that would have actually achieved anything he over hit to Bent.  If he is the answer we are all asking the wrong questions.

Grant 7

Keogh 6

Albentosa 5

Forsyth 2

Warnock 4

Bryson 4

Hendrick 6

Ince 5

Martin 5

Bent 5

Russell 3

Dawkins 5

Lingard and Whitbread NA.

Worst performance since the 3-0 loss against Burnley during the cloughie reign. Embarrassing. Forsyth and Bryson... Jesus

​Hard to argue with those ratings, You've perhaps got Bryson a bit high.

​Dawkins might have got 92% pass completion (where do you find this sort of thing out?) but it never felt like it during the game.  And the only pass that he tried that would have actually achieved anything he over hit to Bent.  If he is the answer we are all asking the wrong questions.

​You're looking at it all wrong.

Dawkins isn't there to play the killer pass, in the same way Iniesta isn't for Barcelona. Did you know Iniesta hasn't claimed a single assist or goal this season? 

Whoscored.com have statistics for this sort of thing.

Dawkins does create, he creates space and allows the front three the opportunity to create something in the final third. He was the link player. The amount of times he got the ball into the feet of Martin, Bent and Ince plus the fullbacks was great to see.

How many times did Hendrick (other than his shot) or Bryson get the ball into the front three's feet in or around the Brenftford box? Zilch.

​Are you serious?

It's hard to create a clear-cut chance playing the way we did, but the amount of times he picked out a player free in space just outside the area was great to see. If our attacking players had any initiative, we would have created much more.

His movement and passing ability was a joy to watch and the only good thing about us in the second half.

I can't remember a single time he set up an actual chance. He likes to slow down our attacking play, I'll give him that..

I agree. I wouldn't call Bryson a central midfielder tbh. He's useless defensively and his passing range is short.

As an attacking midfielder though. The composure he has is helpful and the short passing is like Dawkins, it creates gaps and opportunities for better players. Or himself because he's not bad at all on goal. 

His energy becomes handier because it's sort of an extra body pressing with no real pressure. 

If he's going to play I just don't like to see him in our half. It's pointless. He thrived last season when Thorne/Eustace and Hughes covered the first two thirds of the pitch. He was closer to Martin than Hughes!!. 

I don't think Hanson is better than Bryson. I don t think Grant is better than Martin. But pick players that know the job and are at least suited towards it.

Hendrick or Bryson for me. Always.

Archived