Wigan Athletic vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the result we needed. That first half was an absolute shambles though, don't think we were ever that bad under Clough. No urgency, no tempo, no quality. Seeing Martin warming up in his kit 5 minutes before second half gave us all a lift. He was so good in that second half, brings everyone else in to play, fantastic goal and boy I've missed his dives, they are a thing of beauty. He was motm for me, closely followed by Keogh. Oh and if Albentosa is worth 600k then I'm worth 6 million. He was terrible.

Much better second half. More energy. Chris Martin - fantastic.

Grant - 8. Nervy first half, but excellent second half. One world class save in the first and the second half.

Keogh - 5.

Albentosa - 6.

Forsyth - 5.

Warnock - 7.

Hughes - 5. 

Hendrick 4.

Ward - 5.

Russell - 6.

Ince - 5.

Bent - 6.

Martin - 9 and EASILY MOTM. Didn't put a foot wrong. Fantastic finish.

Christie NA

Dawkins NA

In all honesty it wasn't great. First half was the worst we've played this season, and that's saying something going on recent form. Martin's introduction changed the game. It gave everyone a lift, including the fans. Everything seemed to click, he won his typical free kicks straight away (ref fell for his tricks), he won flick one, held the ball up well and worked effectively with Bent. Defence was dodgy. All afternoon, even in the second half, it was poor in my opinion. It just looked out of place, and made poor strikers in Fortune and Clarke look half decent. Warnock had a good game mind. Despite keeping a clean sheet, I expect changes for Sat.

But Martin was the lynchpin, excellent. He looked shagged after one sprint and he had his hands on his knees before every set piece, but that will come with match sharpness.

Chrissy Martin is Derby's no.9!!

How did Martin link up with Bent NSR. Did Martin play a bit deeper, in the hole, and if so did this leave Ince out wide.  It seems to me based on your report that we still need to re-organise our defence presumably with the return of Shotton, but if so who do you think should make way?

So how long did it take for martin to turn things round... Well good still too late for us to get the autos but at least we should clinch a play off place, with four easier games to finish with plus Chrissy martin back ( autocorrect wanted to call chrisssy Christ, well at this time of year is it too late to resurrect our season? ) 

Can anyone who went reassure me about Albentosa? I am very worried for our football against Brentford. I haven't seen him much but the bit I have he scared me to death. Please tell me I am worrying over nothing?

The head coach got away with one today , the first half is the worst I've seen Derby , it was woeful and only had the goalie to thank , second half put it down to 2 words Chris Martin 

Archived