Game of Thrones Season 5

AndyinLiverpool

​Mad Men, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire are all better for me. 

It just sounded like it was being portrayed as a fact rather than an opinion.

Look at the cold, hard, facts. It is the Number one most popular TV series according to IMDB.

As voted by 781,000 people so quite a few are in agreement.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me i'd go:

1. Sopranos
  2. The Wire
  3. Game of Thrones
  4. Breaking Bad

Although Game of Thrones is not finished yet so it could go up in my esimtation. (or down)

​Add House of Cards (Kevin Spacy) and you'd have my top 5 also but in a slightly different order.

1. Game Of Thrones

2. Breaking Bad

3. Sopranos

4. House of Cards

5. The Wire

Look at the cold, hard, facts. It is the Number one most popular TV series according to IMDB.

As voted by 781,000 people so quite a few are in agreement.

​So the highest rated tv show by IMDB, rather than just highest rated. Breaking Bad also has a 9.5 rating too.

Alternatively, we could look at award wins for being the highest rated. Interestingly, Game of Thrones hasn't won either of the ones I looked at. Just thought you should define what you meant by highest rated. 

Emmy - Mad Men (4), Sopranos (2), West Wing (4), Breaking Bad (2)

Golden Globes - Mad Men (3), Sopranos (1), West Wing (1), Breaking Bad (1).

​Add House of Cards (Kevin Spacy) and you'd have my top 5 also but in a slightly different order.

1. Game Of Thrones

2. Breaking Bad

3. Sopranos

4. House of Cards

5. The Wire

​What do you look for in an excellent tv drama? The statement - 'the more brutality, the better' and adding House of Cards in are absolutely baffling to me. Granted, Spacey is incredible but he carries the show. The writing is awful. 

​Mad Men, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and The Wire are all better for me. 

It just sounded like it was being portrayed as a fact rather than an opinion.

​Mad Men was always just "good" for me...never outstanding.

You could make a case for any of the other three to be top though and i wouldn't disagree. Just down to personal preference.

​What do you look for in an excellent tv drama? The statement - 'the more brutality, the better' and adding House of Cards in are absolutely baffling to me. Granted, Spacey is incredible but he carries the show. The writing is awful. 

​House of Cards is brutal in the way Spacy works his way through the channels of power.

It's baffling to me how you can say the writing is awful. It's ingenious.

​House of Cards is brutal in the way Spacy works his way through the channels of power.

It's baffling to me how you can say the writing is awful. It's ingenious.

​I maybe should have been more clear. I meant the brutal comment in terms of GOT. I just don't get how brutality for the sake of brutality is entertaining. 'The more brutality, the better' suggests that it is for you.

The writing is ridiculous and completely unrealistic. How many times does he have to screw people over before they realise that he might be a baddie? Washington is apparently made up of one genius and hundreds of idiots. Ignoring all the minor idiots that he deals with, how about some of the main characters - Peter Russo, Zoe Barnes. Awful characters, and again, completely unrealistic storylines. I actually quite like the Zoe Barnes premise but the way they execute it is really poor. I need my tv shows to have a hint of realism about them.

Wtahced most Series and GOT is the best by far IMO. Watching Daredevil on Netflix that's amazing and going to watch one upon a time soon.

Once upon a time is alright. But not a patch on te other shows mentioned here. 

​The rape scene was another totally unnecessary scene. It achieved nothing. What did we learn? That Sansa is in a vulnerable position and the Boulton bloke is horrible. You'd have to be a moron not to have realised that a long time before that.

I think it was necessary. Wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but there's actually a strength in it. Can you imagine the Sansa of season 1 ever being in that position. And if she was in that position, it would have absolutely broken her. 

This hasn't broken her, she's dealing with it. To play the game, this is something she has to deal with. She could deal with it without any hope, but instead she is defiant, and has hope. 

She's dealt with a lot. She started getting that little bit more defiant with Joffrey. I think, and I very much hope, that she will eventually have the last laugh. And that will make going from that position of total submission, to a position of domination, all the sweeter. 

Course, this is game of thrones and she'll probably get stabbed in the eye next episode.

PS I also love walking dead. I think there might be something wrong with me. I seem to like my shows devoid of all hope. What these shows have in common is that the second you have a 'hell yeah' moment. It's almost directly followed by a 'for ***** sake, give them a break' moment. And a lot more of the latter. 

I do think it's notable though, that in past seasons they might have ended the episode on a thing so soul destroying as Shireens screams. This time, they decided to put that in the middle, and put the 'hell yeah' moment at the end. 

I think even they know that they've crossed the line with Shireen, and they have to bring people up again before the end. Otherwise they'd be left with an ending bleaker than the red wedding. 

So in that spirit. Dany flying on a dragon. That was ******* cool, right?

PistoldPete2

​The rape scene was another totally unnecessary scene. It achieved nothing. What did we learn? That Sansa is in a vulnerable position and the Boulton bloke is horrible. You'd have to be a moron not to have realised that a long time before that.

I think there was an adverse reaction to that scene but tbh unlike most sex scenes they cut away so I don't think there was anything gratuitous or at all sympathetic to the villain.  In a drama in which almost everyone is engaged in brutal war if rape didn't feature it wouldn't really reflect the true horrors of war. What did boulton getting grey joys cock cut off teach us? It's just a presentation of the brutalities of war and tribalism and we shouldn't get too hung up about it. 

I actually thought the flying on a dragon thing looked really cheap. Like a couple of kids had done it in about 10 minutes for a laugh.

​Agreed. It was supposed to be a "f**k yea" moment and they made it look cheap and kind of PG13. After the brutality we have seen on previous seasons and the hype the dragons have had throughout the series. I would of wanted Drogon to have ripped the sons of harpy limb from limb. Instead he looked like he was playing with them.

​Agreed. It was supposed to be a "f**k yea" moment and they made it look cheap and kind of PG13. After the brutality we have seen on previous seasons and the hype the dragons have had throughout the series. I would of wanted Drogon to have ripped the sons of harpy limb from limb. Instead he looked like he was playing with them.

​He started out pretty cool when he ripped that first bloke in half and set a few on fire but seemed to be a little easily distracted by a couple spears! And I agree, for how amazing the CGI is in Game of Thrones, the flying on the dragon bit looked a bit cheap! 

A lot has to happen in only one episode unless an awful lot is going to be left open for a year :(

I have to say i think this season has been the dullest of them all....

the last episode was a blatant attempt to "shock" feels like they were hoping for a similar reaction as they got for the Red Wedding episode....but it wasn't nearly as good.

One of the best bits about the show is that they arent afraid to kill of main characters...but it feels now, like there is none of them they will waste...

looking forward to seeing the conclusion though, but as someone said, so much will be left open which is frustrating and a bit cheap.

the last episode was a blatant attempt to "shock" feels like they were hoping for a similar reaction as they got for the Red Wedding episode....but it wasn't nearly as good.

One of the best bits about the show is that they arent afraid to kill of main characters...but it feels now, like there is none of them they will waste...

looking forward to seeing the conclusion though, but as someone said, so much will be left open which is frustrating and a bit cheap.

​I dunno whether its going to be entirely on purpose that theres so many cliff hangers, theres just so much stuff to wrap up. All the high sparrow stuff in KL, Sansa and Ramsey, Bolton v Baratheon, Brienne and Pod, what the **** is little finger up to?, Nights watch and co, Arya killing people, Dany flying away, everyone else left at the fighting pits and everything else.

A challenge to fit into and hour long show!

PistoldPete2

I think for those who find the grisly scenes like the poor young girl being burned at the stake, it is that these are taboos that just dont exist in GOT. Killing young kids is a definite no-no in Hollywood films. As a result we get cosy anodyne movies where the hero always wins, and gets the girl. In killing the main characters and also the more sympathetic characters like the young girl it means you just don't know what will happen next as there is nothing predictable.  I guess of there is a point to it, that is it. 

​I dunno whether its going to be entirely on purpose that theres so many cliff hangers, theres just so much stuff to wrap up. All the high sparrow stuff in KL, Sansa and Ramsey, Bolton v Baratheon, Brienne and Pod, what the **** is little finger up to?, Nights watch and co, Arya killing people, Dany flying away, everyone else left at the fighting pits and everything else.

A challenge to fit into and hour long show!

​The biggest cliff hanger so far............ how much for Arya's little clam?

Archived