"We've got to make sure we manage games better,".....start winning "ugly"

Inverurie Ram

Crikey......we well "ugly" at Fulham........can we get any ugglier?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Paul-Simpson-says-time-win-ugly/story-26157374-detail/story.html

FIRST-TEAM coach Paul Simpson says Derby County might have to start winning "ugly" in the final 10 games of the promotion race.

Derby have built a reputation of being an open, attacking team but they have been conceding goals of late and it has proved costly.

The two conceded in added time at the end of Saturday's 2-2 draw against Birmingham City prevented the Rams moving two points clear at the top of the Championship.

"We've got to make sure we manage games better," said Simpson, looking back at the Birmingham disappointment.

"For 92 and a half minutes, we were totally in control.

"The game was gone, finished, but we made silly mistakes.

"We had players driving out of position and getting themselves into areas where they shouldn't be at that stage of the game.

"We gave the ball away, gave cheap free kicks away and invited the opposition to put the ball in the box.

"We have to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Simpson admitted a "whole catalogue" of things had to learned from Saturday.

"As staff, maybe we have to think about substitutions a bit more and not leave ourselves as open as we were at the weekend," said Simpson.

"We have built our game, our reputation, on being an open attacking team and maybe, for 10 games, we might have to be just a bit boring.

"We might have to shut up shop sometimes.

"We might have to make sure we get men behind the ball, manage the game properly, kill the game, slow it down, let the ball roll out of play and take our time with free kicks and throw-ins.

"It is not cheating because we are having it done to us nearly every game at home. So it is allowed."

Derby are joint top despite a run of three games without a win in which they have collected only one point from nine.

But promotion remains very much in their hands.

The players have met the first part of the challenge they were set back in July, says Simpson.

"The first challenge we set the players was to be involved in the promotion shake-up with 10 games to go, he added.

"Well, there is only one team above us at the moment, so we are certainly involved.

"We are in a good position. We accept we could be in a better position but I'm sure Middlesbrough and Norwich are thinking the same.

"We are still in a fantastic position to go and deal with the last 10 games."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm we did this under Clough a lot... Shut up shop so to speak ut 9/10 times it doesn't work we invited pressure and ended up drawing or losing from positive positions.

This was one of the main reasons Mclaren has been so good at what he's done due to attack being best form of defense.. Hopefully we don't regret this as much as I'm thinking we are.

It's the same as Mclaren changing the midfielders was of thinking long are the days of pack the box or late runners.. There is only ever a few in there how many times I've screamed FFS no 1 on back post again! is unbelivable and depressing -.-!

Bit worrying they are thinking like that really, I think the team already tend to go a bit backwards and sideways once they go in front which means we lose momentum, some players seem to instantly turn back towards their own goal when there is space in front of them, admittedly we don't go into the corner flags etc but I don't really want to see that anyway apart from maybe a minute from the end. Generally the best form of defence is attack and not sure we were going gung ho on Saturday, just a silly penalty conceded and then panic stations.

So let's not play the way that has worked for us for 18 months. Let's play like we did in the second half at Boro. 

They say giving away silly free kicks but you have to tackle. Every tackle was a free kick on Saturday. What are they supposed to do? 

Tom Ince losing the ball shouldn't be a problem either. I've seen hoofing it to corner flags and then getting 11 behind the ball. It's ****. What we try to do and what Tom Ince waw trying to do was play out from the back and take risks. Sometimes it backfires and sometimes you win like 50% of your games over 18 months and have pretty good cup runs ended by Chelsea and a sending off. 

This talk gets me worried. 

Same Alpha nothing needs to be changed. Fair enough with Ince and Christie vs Forest when he was right wing trying to get a equaliser didn' reach him out of position they score a winner.

How many times has that got us a goal back a lot more then we have let in. Got a bad feeling about this these 'Mistakes' will cost us a lot of point in the long term if we try and defend more etc.

The Forest game was crazy. We weren't playing the way they're asked to either. 

We were playing kick and rush. I'm all for daring and attacking football and taking risks but you have to have the ball to do it. When one header puts 5/6 players out the game then that's terrible. 

On Saturday I thought it was a brilliant performance.  Then we just started going a bit more direct from the back. Still not worrying but Grant started going long more often. Then we just could not win the ball without giving away a free kick 

the game swung from Derby dominance to an equal bitty affair full of soft free kicks. 

there were several fouls on Albentosa when he went up for headers. Nothing. Yet they were getting free kicks for less. That's not to say we weren't fouling but they were getting decisions and we weren't.  They got a bit of momentum and a penalty and that's that.

nothing to do with not being ugly enough.  Think its the first time I've ever disagreed with Simmo. I love the guy. 

nobody in the division has more points than us with 10 to go. We now have a chance to make sure the teams around us lose. Why worry? Forget the last 5 games. Think of the last 75

For the next 10 games you do what you need to do to secure the points. I think the management are putting up their hands on Birmingham. They did make a mistake by thinking the game was safe when they subbed our 3 best players on the day, bringing on 3 attacking players who wanted to prove a point by creating or scoring. The subs needed to do that to stake a claim. The truth is that the hard work had been done. They needed only to bring on players who would do the ugly stuff. Shotton, even Bucko, should have come on to stiffen our midfield if Hughes was going off.  How many times do they need to see Omar, Jeff and Bryso play together to know that those three together have no collective discipline. I am not sure what is going on with Warnock, but for me he is a must on the subs bench because his versatility and game experience is vital to game management near the end of matches.

PistoldPete2

Hmm.. Someone mentioned the fulham game ... We took christie off an attacking full back off when we were 2-0 down.... When we were 2-0 up shotton was an unused sub... How about bringing him on for christie when we are 2-0 up instead of 2-0 down?

For the next 10 games you do what you need to do to secure the points. I think the management are putting up their hands on Birmingham. They did make a mistake by thinking the game was safe when they subbed our 3 best players on the day, bringing on 3 attacking players who wanted to prove a point by creating or scoring. The subs needed to do that to stake a claim. The truth is that the hard work had been done. They needed only to bring on players who would do the ugly stuff. Shotton, even Bucko, should have come on to stiffen our midfield if Hughes was going off.  How many times do they need to see Omar, Jeff and Bryso play together to know that those three together have no collective discipline. I am not sure what is going on with Warnock, but for me he is a must on the subs bench because his versatility and game experience is vital to game management near the end of matches.

Your all completely misunderstanding the message Simo is trying to portray. He's on about performances like Ipswich away. Keep it tight, take the chances when they come. Not completely abandon the style that has got us where we are.

Just chuck bodies in the way, clear your lines when under pressure in your own final third type stuff.

Your all completely misunderstanding the message Simo is trying to portray. He's on about performances like Ipswich away. Keep it tight, take the chances when they come. Not completely abandon the style that has got us where we are.

Just chuck bodies in the way, clear your lines when under pressure in your own final third type stuff.

I'm just scarred by seeing backs to the wall, 6 defenders on the pitch and kick it to the corner flag. 

When you see that it means "we're done attacking so you can forget having to defend now and keep coming."

there wasn't much wrong with the Brum or Brighton performances. We've played worse and won and there was no talk of changing owt then. Quite a few times actually. 

Yeah, not a fan of inviting the other team onto us, we just can't deal with that amount of pressure and it's cost us plenty of times this season already.

We've always been better on the front foot under McClaren, no need to change it. Fair enough we're going to have to dig in a little more but let's not ask for trouble!

So let's not play the way that has worked for us for 18 months. Let's play like we did in the second half at Boro. 

They say giving away silly free kicks but you have to tackle. Every tackle was a free kick on Saturday. What are they supposed to do? 

Tom Ince losing the ball shouldn't be a problem either. I've seen hoofing it to corner flags and then getting 11 behind the ball. It's ****. What we try to do and what Tom Ince waw trying to do was play out from the back and take risks. Sometimes it backfires and sometimes you win like 50% of your games over 18 months and have pretty good cup runs ended by Chelsea and a sending off. 

This talk gets me worried. 

How many times we've been 1-0 up or 2-0 up and the oppisite team have never been in the game. Then we start defending more they get into the game more.. Then people around me are saying 'There going to score in a minute' then boom it happens.

I personally think attack and possesion is the best form of defense then defend. I don't think we have counter attacked decently enough this season to benefit from that system.

Archived