Will Martin and Thorne drive us to promotion

Curtains

You see, I want to be promoted as much as the next fan. But you have to realise that 1 or 2 players aren't gonna turn this round for us. Football isn't a game for individuals, it's a game for a team, it's everyone in that starting 11 that goes out on Saturday, and the Tuesday after, and the Saturday after that that can push us on to promotion. I hope I'm wrong but I think we will stay down. Maybe for better maybe for worse.

It's part of the heartache of being a football supporter and in particular a Derby supporter, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But you have to realise that 1 or 2 players aren't gonna turn this round for us. Football isn't a game for individuals, it's a game for a team, it's everyone in that starting 11 that goes out on Saturday, and the Tuesday after, and the Saturday after that that can push us on to promotion. 

You see, I want to be promoted as much as the next fan. But you have to realise that 1 or 2 players aren't gonna turn this round for us. Football isn't a game for individuals, it's a game for a team, it's everyone in that starting 11 that goes out on Saturday, and the Tuesday after, and the Saturday after that that can push us on to promotion. I hope I'm wrong but I think we will stay down. Maybe for better maybe for worse.

It's part of the heartache of being a football supporter and in particular a Derby supporter, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

​There's a part of me that thinks with what's happening to Leicester and Burnley, if we did go up, it might be painful (again - but not as painful as our last visit) and in that sense, perhaps it's not the end of the world if we miss out and won more than we lose next year in the Championship.  If, however, our owners really decide to go for it and dig beyond the top seams of their somewhat deep pockets, then we need to do it this year!  Trouble with this is, we'll only find out once we reach the holy grail.....argh, to hell with it, let's get there this year.  What's the worst that could happen?

​It's tough. We will probably come back down, but if we never go up we will never know what could have been I guess. Gotta go for it I agree, all or nothing. These next 10 games could shape the history we tell at the pub in years to come - Or maybe they will be forgotten!

​Not normally one to question other posters' views Curtains but on this you're just plain wrong! Fozzy is probably the most consistent defender in our side, and usually pretty good going forward. The odd wayward pass forwards sure but how anyone can question him defensively is completely beyond me. lol

Also what was the point in starting a thread about Martin and Thorne to then talk about how bad Fozzy and Christie are? I'm sure there's a fair few threads devoted to whining about them, not sure why you felt the need to do it in this one. lol

ALSO, and this is my last point, I'm sure I remember you being quite critical of a few other posters for pointing out certain deficiencies in a couple of your super fave central midfielders, isn't it somewhat hypocritical to then spend most of your time complaining about our two fullbacks...? lol

You know, just something to reflect on. lol

The point I'm making is just because Thorne and Martin are about to return to the side hopefully very soon and at what level of fitness I have no idea it won't mean we won't still have problems defensively  as both full backs are a problem IMO . 

Reflecting on it what will be will be as with 10 games to go its all a bit disappointing that we are shipping so many goals .

​And the overwhelming evidence to suggest that Fozzy is one of the most consistent LBs in the league does nothing for you?

Or that the evidence also suggests that having Martin & Thorne/Eustace in our side has a significantly large impact on the amount of goals we concede gives you no confidence either?

10 games to go, 2 of our most important players are coming back into a side that's actually performing reasonably well despite 3 bad results and you're throwing in the towel. Fill your glass to the top mate, half empty clearly ain't working for you... maybe get the missus to hide anything sharp and put a lock on the medicine cabinet too. We're still 2nd in the league ffs and have a great opportunity in the next 3/4 games to stake a genuine claim to the autos. Try to enjoy it!

Archived