What needs to be done?

YorkshireRam

We're a team very much out of form at the minute. We have to quickly identify what's going wrong and get them fixed!

1. Will Hughes has to play. Not only is he a creative spark and by far and away our best player but he links together attack and defence and is pivotal to most attacks we put together. We seem somewhat adrift without him, arguably the most integral player in our whole squad at the minute.

2. We need to sort the defence out. This is arguably the main issue. We saw last season that our defence was flawed but we were in such fine form that we could simply out-score the opposition. This season we haven't got that luxury, especially with key attackers out injured/ recently returned from injury. It's the CB pairing that seems to be an issue. Forsyth has played well recently and looks the only capable defender at the minute. Defensively, Shotton is also sound, however we sacrifice attacking potential with him in the side (although not a priority at the minute). Buxton has looked good recently but in a partnership with Keogh, we're shipping goals. I would like to see Albentosa introduced, if this means sacrificing Keogh then that's something that has to be done because this defensive issue needs sorting ASAP.

Producing a result on Saturday is of huge importance now, not only for our promotion push but for team morale also. A clean sheet would also go a long way to restoring confidence within the side. Now considering we are still missing Martin, Thorne, Bent, these next run of games are where the team needs to show their grit; to be able to dig in and grind out results. If we can come through the next 3/4 games with a decent points tally and returning players such as Martin from injury, it will put us in a good position heading into the back-end of the season.

We're not out of this race yet!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Think we have kissed goodbye to automatics. Think we'll beat Birmingham but lose at Norwich, and against Boro. 

You can't get promoted on "We'll score more than you" attitude. It's built from the back. Concede far too many sloppy goals. 

hughes definitely has to start

defence needs shoring up, albentosa in, dont tell me we dont know if hes any better, when hes in the la liga team of the month alongside messi, jordi alba and iniesta

also mascarell doesnt offer enough protection, its alright him being good enough going forward but hes supposed to be a defensive Midfielder 

cue the 'pathetic', 'half fan' responses 

We need to keep our nerve, fans and players and management alike.  All the suicidal ******** about 'that's it - play-offs at best' etc etc is doing my head in.  And as for the **** on RD who said we need to sack McClaren- words fail me.  We still have the same chance of automatic as another 5 or 6 teams, it will go to the wire, ffs hold your nerve.

Completely agree regarding Hughes. I was absolutely astonished when I saw the starting line up tonight. Hendrick's form has been patchy, Hughes has his first bad game for months against Fulham and gets dropped. Absolutely bizarre.

Albentosa will star the next game. It's a gamble chucking him in, but after two defeats on the spin it's one we'll have to take.

Our biggest problem is the injuries in key areas. Martin will not be fit for Saturday. Our experiments at trying to score with no traditional forwards have predictably failed, but Thomas has looked nowhere near ready to compete at this level during his cameos.

I defended Mascarell after Fulham, but if it's true that he's lost his man for Brighton's opener tonight we simply can't continue like this. Having said that I think DM is a very difficult position and anyone put in there out of position will likely fail and fail hard. We need Eustace or Thorne fit, but again I don't think either will be ready for the next few games.

Martin and Thorne in the spine of the team would make a world of difference.

Whilst I am genuinally a big big fan of Hughes and i agree with your comment on him in the games he has missed this season.

Tonight is not a game we would have won with him in.

Bryson and hendrick tonight was the right call given our personnel in the forward positions

Archived