Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Least we know how to shut the Bamford up now. Give him a duckin corn chip!

? I bet he's probably alright away from boxing. Just a complete tool when it comes to the sport. 

I really hope come March we have 2 British World Champions. 

So excited for Saturday. Massive fight for Povetkin v Hunter and AJ v Ruiz is off the scale. 

I pray AJ just to jab, jab, jab and jab. Especially when stepping to Ruiz's left. 

Watching the first fight and the left hook/uppercut is on all day long. Every Ruiz jab, if AJ can step back and to his own left, then there's a left hook/uppercut on. 

Rob McCracken was telling AJ to double jab right hand but the right hand makes AJ lean over and Ruiz is quick. 

He's got to be defensive surely. He has to be patient with his right hand. That caused him all his trouble. 

Ruiz really is just a bad style for Joshua. 

Wilder fights off a defensive style anyway so he'd walk Ruiz onto something. Tyson can fight in both stances so would just be a nightmare for Ruiz. 

31 minutes ago, Alpha said:

? I bet he's probably alright away from boxing. Just a complete tool when it comes to the sport. 

I really hope come March we have 2 British World Champions. 

So excited for Saturday. Massive fight for Povetkin v Hunter and AJ v Ruiz is off the scale. 

I pray AJ just to jab, jab, jab and jab. Especially when stepping to Ruiz's left. 

Watching the first fight and the left hook/uppercut is on all day long. Every Ruiz jab, if AJ can step back and to his own left, then there's a left hook/uppercut on. 

Rob McCracken was telling AJ to double jab right hand but the right hand makes AJ lean over and Ruiz is quick. 

He's got to be defensive surely. He has to be patient with his right hand. That caused him all his trouble. 

Wilder fights off a defensive style anyway so he'd walk Ruiz onto something. Tyson can fight in both stances so would just be a nightmare for Ruiz. 

His stable is making all the right noises but then I suppose they have to really. Stories flying about that he's retiring sparring partners left right and centre but for me he's looked a little chinny against anyone who can bang and Ruiz certainly can.

Be a great night's boxing for sure. Shame about the location but heyho, you can't have everything. AJ collecting £66 mill for his troubles apparently and my hunch would be that if he gets tagged again, he'll simply walk away. Fully agree that Wilder and Tyson would make mincemeat of Ruiz but the jury's out on AJ for me. All the tools but plenty to prove at this point.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Cannot put in words how excited I am for Saturday. I've been a boxing fan since I first watched Joshua vs Klitschko, not a hugely long time, but this is the first fight since the one I watched all the way back then that I actually cannot wait for. The undercard is so good, and the main event could honestly go either way. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

If you think Ruiz is a bad style for Joshua, how would Usyk be!? Joshua struggles against good little guys, I'd love to see how he copes with the best small guy in the division.

On 27/11/2019 at 13:06, Alpha said:

He's pretty much always an arse at this point in his camps. You know 2 weeks before the fight where they do some press he's a bit off with the media. 

Some of his comments have been twisted. He said about everyone should bow to him if he beats Ruiz but it was a dig at Wilder and Tyson who said they knew Ruiz would win because he's massively underrated.

Lennox Lewis has had a dig (as usual) and said Ruiz is up there with Tyson and Wilder but AJ has a lot to prove. That's a bit of a farce because AJ has the best record. He just got dropped in a fight like Lewis did by Rahman. 

So AJ is saying all the people up Ruiz's arse better give him the same love when he knocks Ruiz out. (Which I hope he truly believes because if he is nervous then he's in trouble)

I do agree he underestimated Ruiz though. Miller had him fired up and then failed his test. They shove a durable opponent in front of him not known to be a puncher. Wilder had smashed through Breazeale and AJ needed to make a big statement. So I certainly think he was focused on making a statement and forcing Wilder than facing the guy in front of him.

Think he'll win if he's sensible and as confident as he sounds. Tricky though.

If he can't beat Ruiz once in two goes he doesn't deserve to be champ. You're bang on right, though, the person who beat AJ that night in MSG was not Ruiz but Wilder - he psyched Joshua totally into trying to match like for like what he did against Breazele and it - quite literally - blew up in his face. Will be so interesting to see if AJ has learnt how to move a bit (he makes Bruno look like Kirklaind Laing at times) and if he can plan a fight a bit like he did the Parker fight. I have to say I am nervous and I do think AJ has slipped seriously down the rankings - from number one to behind at least Fury and Wilder even after the win. A year ago I thought he was going to rule this division for years, now I'm not even sure he will ever be unified champ.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Cannot put in words how excited I am for Saturday. I've been a boxing fan since I first watched Joshua vs Klitschko, not a hugely long time, but this is the first fight since the one I watched all the way back then that I actually cannot wait for. The undercard is so good, and the main event could honestly go either way. 

If you think Ruiz is a bad style for Joshua, how would Usyk be!? Joshua struggles against good little guys, I'd love to see how he copes with the best small guy in the division.

That Wlad fight is among the best HW fights. Wlad was in great shape and was more aggressive than he normally is. The best fight he has ever been in. 

The only question against Usyk is does he have the power and can he take their shots. I noticed when Whitherspoon hit him he lost balance. At Cruiserweight he rolled with them shots. And he was landing superb shots that perhaps should be dropping people. It's a problem that Hughie Fury has that he just doesn't carry the power to gain respect and top fighters will don't respect him. 

I don't think he answered any questions about coping with the weight. Wouldn't bet against him though. 

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

That was the first fight I ever watched. Brilliant introduction to boxing.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

48 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This weekend is going to be great. Watching Die Hard with a few drinks and a few uni mates on Friday, going to Blackburn away and watching the fight in a student bar on Saturday, and going to my Law Society Christmas Ball on Sunday. Can’t wait.

Just remember the fight is early this time. I think Joshua walks out about 8.30pm. 

Law Society Christmas Ball, yeah? A Christmas ball for the law society. It's an event that anybody in such a vague society wouldn't want to miss. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Just remember the fight is early this time. I think Joshua walks out about 8.30pm. 

Law Society Christmas Ball, yeah? A Christmas ball for the law society. It's an event that anybody in such a vague society wouldn't want to miss. 

Yeah, we're going to try and get back in good time to watch it. Haven't got too far to go from Blackburn to Manchester, thankfully.

If you want the full name, it's the Manchester University Law Society Christmas Ball! Sounds like posh crap, but it's always a good piss up with pals and a chance to meet a girl when you're all dressed up. Plus, it's Christmas, and I bloody love Christmas. Mariah Carey here I come.

16 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This weekend is going to be great. Watching Die Hard with a few drinks and a few uni mates on Friday, going to Blackburn away and watching the fight in a student bar on Saturday, and going to my Law Society Christmas Ball on Sunday. Can’t wait.

Dude, that is a pretty eclectic weekend. Enjoy!

It's fight day! 

Agree @Andicis that Joshua stripping muscle is a good thing. Surprised he stripped so much and I hope that he still has that power. 

He just sucks up so much oxygen when he's going through a hard patch. His recovery times are really long. It was what? 5 mins v Whyte, 2 or 3 Rounds v Wlad, 4 rounds v Ruiz. Each opponent has had him flat footed with zero defence and only his willpower holding him up. Too long to get that huge frame moving again. 

And with the fast hands of Ruiz he just needs to be able to create distance quicker. Punish Ruiz with jabs when he comes in. If he presses then his left hand is the danger. It's quick and he closes the gap on it. If Joshua can manoeuvre away from the left of Ruiz and set something up with his own left then he could get the KO. But being able to control the distance is huge.

Ruiz at 20st doesn't seem to have lost any hand speed but if Joshua shows his Olympic ability then no way should he be getting involved in shootouts. 

Wilder and Fury wouldn't have a shootout with him and I'd bet both to stop him. But they're patient.  

Badly badly want him to win. He is an athlete we should be proud of. And Tyson.

Lets hog all the belts and have AJ v Fury at Wembley 3 times while the American promoters cry. 

Great news about Dillian Whyte too. Completely in the clear and now suing people I think. Another exciting Brit to support tonight.  

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

It's fight day! 

Agree @Andicis that Joshua stripping muscle is a good thing. Surprised he stripped so much and I hope that he still has that power. 

He just sucks up so much oxygen when he's going through a hard patch. His recovery times are really long. It was what? 5 mins v Whyte, 2 or 3 Rounds v Wlad, 4 rounds v Ruiz. Each opponent has had him flat footed with zero defence and only his willpower holding him up. Too long to get that huge frame moving again. 

And with the fast hands of Ruiz he just needs to be able to create distance quicker. Punish Ruiz with jabs when he comes in. If he presses then his left hand is the danger. It's quick and he closes the gap on it. If Joshua can manoeuvre away from the left of Ruiz and set something up with his own left then he could get the KO. But being able to control the distance is huge.

Ruiz at 20st doesn't seem to have lost any hand speed but if Joshua shows his Olympic ability then no way should he be getting involved in shootouts. 

Wilder and Fury wouldn't have a shootout with him and I'd bet both to stop him. But they're patient.  

Badly badly want him to win. He is an athlete we should be proud of. And Tyson.

Lets hog all the belts and have AJ v Fury at Wembley 3 times while the American promoters cry. 

Great news about Dillian Whyte too. Completely in the clear and now suing people I think. Another exciting Brit to support tonight.  

Nice that it's actually a reasonable time for once too! 

I'm scared for Joshua if it gets up close, Ruiz has such dangerous hands at close range, so if he manages to get inside, I don't know how Joshua will manage, he's a little bit chinny and like you say, when he's wobbled he doesn't recover fast.

I think Joshua with his extra speed and just the huge reach advantage will take it on points. Not sure he has the power to knock Ruiz out, he's got a fairly decent chin on him. 

I really want him to win too. If Joshua loses, we'll see Ruiz fight Wilder and he'll lose and Wilder will have unified all the belts, despite clearly losing to Fury. I can't stand Wilder. Shouldn't even have the belt he's got. 

Povetkin looking old there but no way did he look hurt in round 1 like Sky are saying. There were times he couldn't keep up and Hunter was faster at everything  but he didn't rock him in round 1. He tripped on the ring once!! 

He did have Povetkin in big trouble near the end though. I think it was close to getting stopped. Just Povetkin kept those deadly short hooks coming around enough. 

Hunter threw the fight in the 12th. Just had to see it out and not do anything stupid. 

But he should have won anyway. Close fight though and would have been a gigantic win if he'd stayed on the outside in the 12th.