Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Thought tonight’s fight was better and closer than the first fight. I had Catterall winning both fights tonight’s by 2 rounds.

It sounds like someone as belted bob arum around the head with the crap he was spouting after the fight 

Imagine a conversation between Biden and Bob Arum. 

Well, it feels like Josh Taylor has wasted potential. I don't think there was any doubt he was going right to the top and he'd be in huge unified and undisputed fights. But it's all been a bit of brief flirt really. 

Catterall seemed relaxed and confident all week. I really thought Taylor would come in and be on another level from the first fight. 

It's a long way back for Taylor and Catterall can now put himself in the spot Taylor leaves behind. 

Had catterall winning the first fight and had this one pretty even, if this one had the belts on it I would have felt catterall didn’t do enough to take them with Taylor making the fight and apart from Taylor walking on to a shot niether fighter really troubled the other and I thought Taylor worked well to the body as catterall is very clever with his shoulder and hard to catch clean , decent fight but all the pantomime around fights now is getting irritating 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Had catterall winning the first fight and had this one pretty even, if this one had the belts on it I would have felt catterall didn’t do enough to take them with Taylor making the fight and apart from Taylor walking on to a shot niether fighter really troubled the other and I thought Taylor worked well to the body as catterall is very clever with his shoulder and hard to catch clean , decent fight but all the pantomime around fights now is getting irritating 🤷🏻‍♂️

You saw that fight as even 🤔

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You saw that fight as even 🤔

Pretty much though if you gave it Catterall by a round , two at most I wouldn’t be up in arms 🤷🏻‍♂️

It was an interesting fight stylistically.  

Taylor was doing all the pressing,  was working the body and looked fitter and stronger for periods. 

Catterall had an awkward stance, bobbed and ducked continously and Taylor just couldn't work him out. It almost felt unfair as he desperately poured forward looking for the gap/angle to catch Catterall and walked onto another explosive left to the side of his face. Catterall also used his head a lot and frequently almost barged him back with his shoulder to create the gap he needed to keep evading any of Taylor's power shots.

Felt to me like if it was a good old fight in a park with a load of school kids watching, that Taylor would have won but in the ring he just couldn't work out how to stop Catterall backing off and drawing him in before crunching him in the face.

Those score cards were a bit off for me! Good fight, wouldnt mind seeing a third! Its tough with judges tho aint it because it depends what they like! Some favour the aggressor, some favour the defensive boxer not getting hit, then you throw in which angle they see it from, plus if the crowd cheer for certain punches etc! 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Pretty much though if you gave it Catterall by a round , two at most I wouldn’t be up in arms 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thought Taylor won a couple of rounds, maybe 9 and 10…..all the others went to Catterall or were level. I had Catterall winning the first fight by 3 rounds and last night by 4-5, similar way to the judges.

Catterall's style is ugly. I can see judges not scoring him in close fights because it's that jack in the box style. He leads with his head a lot, he always looks vulnerable (but isn't particularly). It's just not flattering him and I think he was perhaps scored more generously this time because of the last fight. 

Although I had him winning both. It's just not a style many people can enjoy. At least Taylor is an upright fighter who doesn't smother his work. 

Catterall just sets traps and it looks like we could do this fight another 10 times and Taylor wouldn't win. He just can't figure out how to consistently apply pressure. It's like watching sticking your nose in a snake pit. 

Not easy fights to score. I do hate it when people say fighters are finished after a defeat but Taylor looks like he's hit his peak?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thought Taylor won a couple of rounds, maybe 9 and 10…..all the others went to Catterall or were level. I had Catterall winning the first fight by 3 rounds and last night by 4-5, similar way to the judges.

I tend to score a lot of even rounds now when I bother to try and keep score on a fight because I find if I feel the need to give rounds one way or the other then I often end up with a score that doesn’t reflect the fight I’ve watched but that s just my way of doing it and unless the counter puncher is a very good boxer I tend to favour the man trying to make the fight , like @Alph said I thought Catterall was a bit too handy with his head and lead shoulder so I couldn’t really warm to how he went about the job 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I tend to score a lot of even rounds now when I bother to try and keep score on a fight because I find if I feel the need to give rounds one way or the other then I often end up with a score that doesn’t reflect the fight I’ve watched but that s just my way of doing it and unless the counter puncher is a very good boxer I tend to favour the man trying to make the fight , like @Alph said I thought Catterall was a bit too handy with his head and lead shoulder so I couldn’t really warm to how he went about the job 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's harmful for him in close rounds with that style. He just doesn't catch the eye until he springs out of his defence. I wondered if that's why he lost the first or maybe just plain old corruption in trying to keep the big draw fighters winning?

2 hours ago, Alph said:

It's harmful for him in close rounds with that style. He just doesn't catch the eye until he springs out of his defence. I wondered if that's why he lost the first or maybe just plain old corruption in trying to keep the big draw fighters winning?

Certainly could play a part , bums on seats and pay per view buys 

I went to Leeds to watch it. Was an incredible fight. I was rooting for Jack as most were sat around me.

I thought Jack clearly won the first fight. Last night I've got to be honest I thought Taylor nicked it. A lot around me didn't seem confident jack had won it either. You could feel it in the arena that the pockets of Taylor fans were more confident then the rest.

Therefore the scorecards were a shock. 

Makes you wonder 2 things which i think it's possibly abit of both. I believe vantage point can have a big effect, maybe it felt Taylor was connecting more then he actually was as let's face it tv shows close up punch by punch then live viewing.

Secondly I feel when we watch on TV we are heavily influenced even unconsciously by the commentary, such as saying its a good round for x he's ticking these off.  When if you watch without commentary you may not come to the same conclusion.

Either way glad to see Jack win would like a trilogy in truth.

2 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

Makes you wonder 2 things which i think it's possibly abit of both. I believe vantage point can have a big effect, maybe it felt Taylor was connecting more then he actually was as let's face it tv shows close up punch by punch then live viewing.

Secondly I feel when we watch on TV we are heavily influenced even unconsciously by the commentary, such as saying its a good round for x he's ticking these off.  When if you watch without commentary you may not come to the same conclusion.

Spot on that! 

Usyk - Fury re-match booked in a deal quicker than the original fight. Funny that! 😂 No venue as yet, but a December bout to presumably form the centrepiece of the Riyadh Season. Fair play to the Saudis for stumping up the moolah again, but it does seem a shame that their commitment to boxing doesn't stretch to booking venues where traditional fight fans are able / likely to attend. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c9eep4zlljpo

It's 5v5 this weekend

Where promoters get all the hype and money without actually doing the fighting? 

Wilder v Zhang is the main event. On paper it's an interesting fight. I expect it won't be that memorable. The first decent connection will probably end it. And it won't be two fierce lions waiting to pounce. It's a fight between a giraffe and an elephant

There's a few offensive jokes about their footwork and Paralympics that I won't repeat here but you get the idea. 

It won't be which big banger finds a way in first. It will be which of them try to move but forget their feet. 

I think Wilder, especially if he's not such a nervous Bambi as the Parker fight. 

Undercard is solid again thanks to His Excellency, supreme leader, Lord Of Light, Holy Master of Devine Ceremony etc etc

Aint payed for it but seen the results! Brick top cleaned up 🙈! Im all for boxing trying to appeal to more fans and create good fight cards etc but im not sure about making it about the promoters, doesnt sit right, eddie and frank looking all smug doing interviews like its all about them! Hows about the promoters put some gloves on and get in the ring! That id pay to see that 🤔!!