Nixon summer rumors

-JW-

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hull paid about £2m for Ince, so that's what I would offer them... plus the wages they've spent out on him. It's incredibly difficult for someone like Hull to turn down decent money for a player that has no purpose and role at the club. It's similar to Thorne at WBA. 

I'd say we will be interested in a goalkeeper for the reasons I've mentioned. Nothing to do with what Grant can or can't do. I just think Steele will want something special to work with - a new De Gea project for him. 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we tried to bring Wisdom back, either, despite his flop at West Brom. 

Hull paid about £2m for Ince, so that's what I would offer them... plus the wages they've spent out on him. It's incredibly difficult for someone like Hull to turn down decent money for a player that has no purpose and role at the club. It's similar to Thorne at WBA. 

I'd say we will be interested in a goalkeeper for the reasons I've mentioned. Nothing to do with what Grant can or can't do. I just think Steele will want something special to work with - a new De Gea project for him. 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we tried to bring Wisdom back, either, despite his flop at West Brom. 

Ince has scored spectacular goals, but he needs teeing up. Much prefer Johnny Russell in all around play, and I'm not convinced Ince will score regularly in the Prem. Certainly wouldn't entertain £5m. He's flopped at Hull so I wouldn't want to be giving them their money back, £1m max.

Not a Nixon rumour, but in today's match report in the Sun it says we'll have a 25 million budget if we go up, and we'll try and sign Ince for 5 million.

Ince has scored spectacular goals, but he needs teeing up. Much prefer Johnny Russell in all around play, and I'm not convinced Ince will score regularly in the Prem. Certainly wouldn't entertain £5m. He's flopped at Hull so I wouldn't want to be giving them their money back, £1m max.

​Really? I would suggest that by and large he teed himself up at both Bournemouth and for his first goal at Rotherham, carrying the ball across the edge of the penalty area and beating a man on each occasion - and his second one at Rotherham was hardly 'teed up' either - it was a remarkably difficult finish well executed. All three were every bit as good as the finest goal Johnny Russell has scored for Derby (in the 5-0 destruction of the Gumps).

Hmm, you're right, I guess I need to refine my point a bit - Ince comes alive when there's a sniff of a shot. Doesn't do so much elsewhere. I think that those edge of the box positions he's taken advantage of so nicely would be less frequent and better defended in the Prem and if he can't add more to the team effort then he might prove to be a flop. As seems to have happened at Hull.

I'm being harsh, I like the lad, but I'm yet to be convinced he can consistently deliver. 

I guess it all comes down to what you would class as consistently deliver. I mean, he's played over a 1000 less minutes than Russell and only one goal away from scoring the same amount. Although, he hasn't recorded an assist yet. 

In this system, over the course of a season, I'd back Ince to get more than 20 goals. 

Championship, maybe, but in the Prem? Don't get me wrong, Loving the lad, that free kick was Idiakezesque. Just not quite convinced over the piece that he's got the tools to be the main man in that position. He's certainly earn the shirt for a week or two to prove me wrong though.

I guess it all comes down to what you would class as consistently deliver. I mean, he's played over a 1000 less minutes than Russell and only one goal away from scoring the same amount. Although, he hasn't recorded an assist yet. 

In this system, over the course of a season, I'd back Ince to get more than 20 goals. 

I think Ince needs to be judged after a longer spell of games. In the 5 games he has played, he has scored important goals that have won us points. Which, at the end of the season, will be what counts. We had the same debate about Bamford last year "Yes, he scores goals, but he doesn't do much else as a winger, and he's too lightweight to be Martin" At the end of the day, Bamford's goals won us points.

I suppose the real debate is, if Hull said £5 million is his valuation, would we say ok. It's alot, but in the Prem that's the going rate for a squad player. Personally, based on Ince's form for us and his time at Blackpool (similar formation and position and the way he ran games at a much younger age) its a yes from me

Archived