What to do with Georgy and Raul??

Nope, Albentosa is a right sided CB and therefore will be competing with Keogh. After Keogh's performances in recent weeks, I can see him claiming that spot pretty soon as well.

From what I saw at the Chesterfield game, he can play with his left foot too. He's fine both sides of central defence. McClaren clearly has an eye to a Keogh Albentosa pairing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit biased on this one because I live in Alzira (Raul's home town for those who don't know), and after speaking to many people here I'm assured that he is a top class la Liga player. Plus like has been said by JW, we wouldn't go through so much hassle to sign him and boast so much about having done it, if he was only here as a back up. Yes, I do think that he was bought with the prem in mind, that doesn't mean we can't play him in the Championship!

It took me 45 minutes of a) watching him tell people what to do before and after game, in lord knows what language, and b) witness his commanding display to realise he's our #1 centre half going forward. Just a matter of time, and getting his inserts shipped from Spain (ffs).  He looked like a captain of the team in the making. 

Nope, Albentosa is a right sided CB and therefore will be competing with Keogh. After Keogh's performances in recent weeks, I can see him claiming that spot pretty soon as well.

'Keogh's performance's in recent weeks' 

7 clean sheets, and only 6 goals conceded in 11 games. 

Our CB captain whose played every minute (The only defender to do so in those games too) must be doing ****!

One of the most impressive things about all of our signings in the last 12-18 months is their buy in to the squad as a whole. This is evident when the team celebrate a goal. "Problem" players like Ibe, Bent, Ince and those with PL experience in Thorne, Warnock, Shotton have all exhibited this quality. They've also delivered despite having to work for their starting place.

With regards to the OP I think GT is a clear improvement above OMG and Hendrick/Bryson in current form.

I haven't seen much of Albentosa but it sounds as if he is very highly rated. I think he will be given a spin for Bucko assuming that Keogh wouldn't be dropped as captain.

One of the most impressive things about all of our signings in the last 12-18 months is their buy in to the squad as a whole. This is evident when the team celebrate a goal. "Problem" players like Ibe, Bent, Ince and those with PL experience in Thorne, Warnock, Shotton have all exhibited this quality. They've also delivered despite having to work for their starting place.

With regards to the OP I think GT is a clear improvement above OMG and Hendrick/Bryson in current form.

I haven't seen much of Albentosa but it sounds as if he is very highly rated. I think he will be given a spin for Bucko assuming that Keogh wouldn't be dropped as captain.

The whole team celebrating a goal seems to be a club wide thing too, watching the under 18s demolition earlier it was the same. Felt a bit sorry for the left back who sprinted up the pitch each time only to arrive once the huddle was breaking up, the goal were we passed it through the whole pitch at pace was worthy of any game too.

McClaren clearly has an eye to a Keogh Albentosa pairing.

What makes you say that?

I've always seen it as an upgrade for Keogh. From what I've seen this season, Keogh won;t be able to cut it in the Prem, Albentosa is a natural fit and has the quality and potential to make the step up.

I haven't seen much of Albentosa but it sounds as if he is very highly rated. I think he will be given a spin for Bucko assuming that Keogh wouldn't be dropped as captain.

Has Ibe ever been seen as a problem player ?

'Keogh's performance's in recent weeks' 

7 clean sheets, and only 6 goals conceded in 11 games. 

Our CB captain whose played every minute (The only defender to do so in those games too) must be doing ****!

He's still making mistakes...

That's fine at this level but if we can integrate Albentosa now with a view to playing him if we get promoted, that is only a good thing.

And Buxton does not? He's made as many and is very limited.

No he really hasn't. In the games he's played Buxton has looked solid...

Also, very limited? He's a far better CB than Keogh or Shotton and has proved, without doubt, that he is a terrific Cb at this level. His range of passing far outshines Keogh and his heading is also stronger. At this level, he is an outstanding player, whether he could play in the Prem is yet to be seen but I wouldn't rule him out yet considering the progress he has made thus far.

I think McClaren would like Shotton and Albentosa as the pairing tbh. But it's getting them there. Changing a winning team is very hard. That's why Darren Bent could not do anything more than what he'd done and was still sat on the bench.

Whatever Keogh and Buxton's individual weaknesses, as a pair they get results. We've had Whitbread and Shotton but it's these two that just seem to work best whether you rate them as individuals or not.

Does Keogh being our representative (won't say leader because no team I've ever played in had 1 leader. You have leaders within the group and the reminders you need don't just come from the bloke with the armband) help him keep his place better than Buxton?

The captains armband can go to either the sort of "alpha male" of the group. The popular lad who others respond well too. Or the pin up boy. The lad who leads the way with being a bloody good player. The lad who nobody points the finger at because he's the face of the club. He leads by example rather than being the fella that can bark a few orders out without being told to piss off.

I do wonder why Keogh never gets rested. Because I don't think he's deserved his place anymore or less than anyone else. Yet he always keeps it.

I wonder if Keogh is one of those lads that needs to play. He's captain because he needs it. That's how he finds the passion and fire to be useful. Would him being the captain sat on the bench take something away from him not only as a player but as an influence.

Albentosa hasn't come here to watch. Mac loves Shotton. He singles him out for praise a lot. He finds it quite easy to be involved in a settled team. I think McClaren, and all of us(?) see Shotton as potentially a more complete defender than the panic moment Keogh and the perhaps more traditional Buxton?

I think McClaren would take an excuse to have those two as the first choice CB's. But it's just very hard to do that when Albentosa has missed his opening and Keogh and Buxton get results.

Shotton is a very good stopper, but his passing is simply awful, it's going to take some time to coach the Stokieness out of him, makes you wonder what they teach them in Stokes academy, thats the only reason I can see that stops him being first choice, deservedly so atm.

Shotton is a very good stopper, but his passing is simply awful, it's going to take some time to coach the Stokieness out of him, makes you wonder what they teach them in Stokes academy, thats the only reason I can see that stops him being first choice, deservedly so atm.

McClaren seems to be a big fan though would you agree? He doesn't find it too hard to get chances.

But I don't mind who plays. None of them really bother me. Christie probably annoys me the most over recent months. "Just one more touch". But when I saw he was starting v Bournemouth it didn't bother me at all.

Has Ibe ever been seen as a problem player ?

The only thing I heard was that he was 'a bit quiet' - how that equates to 'problem' I don't know, but I'm sure that one of our more ITK ITKers will enlighten us.

Here we go a flippingen. Unbelievable!

I wasn't having a pop at Keogh. Just throwing out some of the thoughts I've had. Just emptying my brain

I don't think there's much difference between and of the 4 CB's (not including Albentosa who we can't judge on 45mins in a new formation).

I just observe that Keogh is the first name on the teamsheet. That I think Mac wants Shotton to nail down a place and Albentosa isn't here to sit on the bench.

Archived