What to do with Georgy and Raul??

McClaren seems to be a big fan though would you agree? He doesn't find it too hard to get chances.

But I don't mind who plays. None of them really bother me. Christie probably annoys me the most over recent months. "Just one more touch". But when I saw he was starting v Bournemouth it didn't bother me at all.

Oh I quite agree, Mac definitely has his favourites and Shottons one of them, along with Hendrick. Always know what you'll get with Shotton, defensive stability, which is the prime consideration in his position after all!

Look forward to him improving his passing over time, the only thing which holds him back imo, feel sure he will with the coaching on offer here, there must be a reason Stoke let him go so cheaply, if he improves in that he'll be everyone's 1st choice.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't having a pop at Keogh. Just throwing out some of the thoughts I've had. Just emptying my brain

I don't think there's much difference between and of the 4 CB's (not including Albentosa who we can't judge on 45mins in a new formation).

I just observe that Keogh is the first name on the teamsheet. That I think Mac wants Shotton to nail down a place and Albentosa isn't here to sit on the bench.

Not you Alpha. Just the usual keogh wrecking crew.

Can't really rate Raul yet, but don't know why people bash Keogh so much. He is by far our best CB, and the fact he is the only one who has kept his place in the team show's that. He has never missed a game apart from through injury. 

In game's where we have a lot of possession and being closed down well, how many times is he the one to make the forward pass, or to drive into the space to get us forward, all the bloody time! 

Buxton and Co. don't have the problem of giving the ball away and getting the 'tuts' from the crowd for losing the ball because all they do is side ways pass. Not saying that is a bad thing, but possession doesn't win games. I think Keogh does a much better job at playing out from the back than anyone in the defence, barring maybe Forsyth. 

I think we will see Raul as a starting CB by the end of the season. Although technically we didn't need a right sided centre half, I think he was signed because ultimately, he was too good a player to turn down. He is better than what we have (based on performances in Spain) and he will be part of the team.

One thing that does frustrate me is there are a lot of people on here dreaming about a midfield of GT, WH and OMG. I personally don't want a midfield where all three of them are give me the ball players. One of them has to be someone who drives forward and gets in the box. Bryson last season, Hendrick more this season. If you have players who all stand back and want to be the player who delivers the killer pass it won't work because there is no-one to pass the ball to.

Personally, give me a fully fit GT, playing like he did last season, then I am happy in the off season to see OMG return to Madrid if we go up.

I'm not suggesting I've followed him from the start. However, I have read up on him and at senior level, his main position has been on the right side of a CB pairing.

I'm fairly confident he play left or right. I don't agree that he's in direct completion with Keogh either he's competing with all our CB's.

Everyone said Shotton's right sided (yes he is right footed and also plays right back. But when ever he's played CB he's replaces Bucko not Keogh on the LEFT!

I'm fairly confident he play left or right. I don't agree that he's in direct completion with Keogh either he's competing with all our CB's.

Everyone said Shotton's right sided (yes he is right footed and also plays right back. But when ever he's played CB he's replaces Bucko not Keogh on the LEFT!

There has to be some sort of order though. You can't just put all centre-backs into a pot and pick out the 2 best.

So to that extent, I would argue Albentosa is direct competition for Keogh as all our other CB's prefer to play on the left.

Archived