Present and Future of Education

AmericanRam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have taught kids that don't know how to spell numbers. So when they get questions with numbers written in words they cant answer them because they don't know what they mean.

eg Michael has fifteen bags of crisps to share between five friends. How many bags do they get each

Over 35 million adults in the US cannot read,and a large amount amount cannot read or write;these figures totally depress and irritate me everyday upon thinking on them.

As part of the National Coalition for Literacy,I endeavor to raise awareness as much as I can in my designated areas; I have done so through workshops, and tutoring but I still think more needs to be done.

These large,unsettling literacy numbers can be helped imo by putting some new initiatives and importance in regards to literacy at a younger age.

I love teaching others how to read and write or both and intend to forever do so.Raising literacy awareness is not as easy as one might think,but I intend to persevere and see that the amount of illiteracy in the US is lowered as much as I possibly can with help from others and especially the NCL.

I have a literacy workshop set up in Des Moines tomorrow,hope goes well.

Literacy rate in UK is way better than US.With that being said,any changes need to be made  to help with it?

In order for the future of education to be great for all,literacy is of course a top priority to ensure that.

​Cannot read it mainly, along with some other disconcerting numbers from a 2013 report I read:Over 19% of High School graduates in the States cannot read and their writing is way below the standard for their age, over 70% of inmates in US prisons cannot read above a fourth grade level, etc. Very depressing numbers and the continual research that I have done it seems that these numbers are increasing in many ways, rather than decreasing.

As in regards to the Spanish aspect here in the States, I, as millions of others as well, had to take Spanish courses in both High School and College. Alas, Spanish people do not have to take as many English courses it seems but yet want to be US citizens. I am not prejudice or racist by any means, but I do believe that immigrants either legal or illegal need to become fluent or just about it in order to become citizens of their newfound country as it were. Working in libraries, I have had to deal with several non English speakers before and since my Spanish is quite minimal, I was not able to help them as I would have liked and what I take pride in doing(i.e. ensuring patrons are satisfied upon leaving the library and appreciate the value a library brings to a community).

Here is most recent breakdown I found of literacy rates around the world:

UK is 95%+ literacy rate which is quite good

Several African countries have very poor literacy rates which not too surprising due to the low socioeconomic nature of said countries as well as any viable educational opportunities.

US as noted above is way lower than a developed country as it is should be.

I had a literacy workshop here today in Des Moines in regards to instructing parents and others on the right ways of teaching their children how to read and write, as well as setting up future Skype lessons for when I come back to NC(Probably next week), etc.

Literacy is a great passion of mine, and I as already noted, am making it one of my main goals in life in regards to ensuring adults and children get the help they need to read and write at their age level. Can I help every single person to read and write who cannot? Well no, but even if I just help a couple hundred a year or more, that will be just fine by me.

As Kofi Annan said, "Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope."

Last weekend here in Des Moines,than heading back to NC.

Doing a technology presentation with some people from Pearson in regards to education for the younger age groups later today,and the same for older age groups tomorrow afternoon.Technology to me is quite important in helping advance education.

I have helped some tremendously with their reading and writing while here,as well as imparting my knowledge of information management & retrieval  and other skills upon some colleagues and local schools;I hope they implement some tools I have given to them.

I feel great overall with my time in Des Moines and think this last weekend will be great also.

Educating our countries youth is quite important,and I hope the future of education as a whole is a great one.

• 1 month later...

Running for head of my regional literacy council which means if appointed I will be in charge of literacy efforts for quite a large area.

Also means I can go to national and perhaps international conferences as well.

Literacy is a big passion of mine,and this would be a dream position.I hope to get it,just hope get the most votes.

Education and literacy go hand in hand.

I hope so to get this.

Running for head of my regional literacy council which means if appointed I will be in charge of literacy efforts for quite a large area.

Also means I can go to national and perhaps international conferences as well.

Literacy is a big passion of mine,and this would be a dream position.I hope to get it,just hope get the most votes.

Education and literacy go hand in hand.

I hope so to get this.

• 3 weeks later...

​Cannot read it mainly, along with some other disconcerting numbers from a 2013 report I read:Over 19% of High School graduates in the States cannot read and their writing is way below the standard for their age, over 70% of inmates in US prisons cannot read above a fourth grade level, etc. Very depressing numbers and the continual research that I have done it seems that these numbers are increasing in many ways, rather than decreasing.

As in regards to the Spanish aspect here in the States, I, as millions of others as well, had to take Spanish courses in both High School and College. Alas, Spanish people do not have to take as many English courses it seems but yet want to be US citizens. I am not prejudice or racist by any means, but I do believe that immigrants either legal or illegal need to become fluent or just about it in order to become citizens of their newfound country as it were. Working in libraries, I have had to deal with several non English speakers before and since my Spanish is quite minimal, I was not able to help them as I would have liked and what I take pride in doing(i.e. ensuring patrons are satisfied upon leaving the library and appreciate the value a library brings to a community).

Here is most recent breakdown I found of literacy rates around the world:

UK is 95%+ literacy rate which is quite good

Several African countries have very poor literacy rates which not too surprising due to the low socioeconomic nature of said countries as well as any viable educational opportunities.

US as noted above is way lower than a developed country as it is should be.

I had a literacy workshop here today in Des Moines in regards to instructing parents and others on the right ways of teaching their children how to read and write, as well as setting up future Skype lessons for when I come back to NC(Probably next week), etc.

Literacy is a great passion of mine, and I as already noted, am making it one of my main goals in life in regards to ensuring adults and children get the help they need to read and write at their age level. Can I help every single person to read and write who cannot? Well no, but even if I just help a couple hundred a year or more, that will be just fine by me.

As Kofi Annan said, "Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope."

As opposed to Trent Bridge, which is a bridge from hope to Misery.

Apologies for the late reply, only just read the thread.

what a super read...

now my missus is a college lecturer, she has had knives pulled on her, locked in a classroom and come under constant flirting, now her brother is a low life dole bum who actually claims incapacity benefit (don't ask) who earns more ?

• 3 weeks later...

i am not going to go into the various issues i have with the school system here because i would start ranting, but want to mention one thing that has had a very positive effect on our 10 year old son.  We moved him from a large school with many pupils to a much smaller one and his grades, willingness to learn, self confidence and general happiness improved greatly.  Another factor that contributed is that his new homeroom teacher is of a much higher caliber than his former one, she is an ambitious woman with a passion for teaching and quite strict too, but attentive to all her students.  If something gets forgotten at home i am the first to hear about it, she calls me up and scolds me like a dog.  i tell you it's wonderful.  Around here it's become much about choosing the right school for your child. 

Archived