Present and Future of Education

AmericanRam

Over the past couple weeks in Des Moines dealing with tons of school-aged children and helping in some way with their academic growth through some library programs I have helped initiated,has really made me begin to delve into the current trends in education and its future in the States.

Education is very important to me in regards to helping with a young child and their intellectual growth as well as their psychosocial growth as well.

One of the main trends I have noticed in the States is the lessening of homework.That is fine as long as the homework that is given helps understand the topic better and is prudently discussed and analyzed in the classroom as well.

Another trend is that of more testing at a younger age.As somebody who had major test anxiety during my academic career,I do fear somewhat that these additional testing methods could really hinder a young child's self-esteem if they bomb them even if do good on homework,etc.

Some changes I would implement?

:Have more prudent subjects being taught

:More in-depth colloboration with parents to ensure their child is on the right path

:Less tests

:Etc, etc.

I know Boycie and some others on here have school-aged children.On the whole would you say you were satisfied with their education? Any changes in UK need to be made you think?

I know a few are teachers on here as well, I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject also, and of course any others who care to comment as well please do.

I love teaching young children how to read and write, improve with their studies,etc.They are our future and I hope the future of education bodes well for them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think it would be quite beneficial for the implementation of technology in the classroom(i.e. Perhaps Skype sessions with professionals in the subject field being studied to help students learn material easier and more cohesively,more self-directed online study at home,etc.).

Any of these or similar endeavors in place in the UK?

Thanks for your..uh..reply.

You my friend are welcome. Stll waiting for the gripping next chapter of your blockbuster. But I guess putting books and papers in some sort of organised order is keeping you away from proper inspiration and fulfilment.

You my friend are welcome. Stll waiting for the gripping next chapter of your blockbuster. But I guess putting books and papers in some sort of organised order is keeping you away from proper inspiration and fulfilment.

Hey now...being a librarian is more than putting books in order.Just this morning I helped a young one read.

Ok and yes,I did have to do a lot of faxing,copying,and other paperwork so far here also.

all studies should be done in the school environment, it shouldn't be sent home for parents to be responsible for. Not all parents are capable of doing it well enough, thus creating a potential divide and unequal right to education.

Fair points mate.One of the main issues I have seen is parents unwillingness to help their children with homework.Yes not their 'job' too but their child will suffer if no help comes from the parents or if parents do not seem to care.

As I said in OP,I fully am behind the ideals of homework as long as it is prudent and fulfills the learning goals and standards set forth by the curriculum.

Fair points mate.One of the main issues I have seen is parents unwillingness to help their children with homework.Yes not their 'job' too but their child will suffer if no help comes from the parents or if parents do not seem to care.

As I said in OP,I fully am behind the ideals of homework.

Bit of a unfair generalisation there AR, something I don't normally see from you. Some parents themselves could be illiterate, others children could live in single parent homes where the parent could be doing more than one job, and not have the time or energy to help. Other parents could be dependent on alcohol or drugs and not be fit to help. I personally would increase the school day to incorporate the time it would take to do the homework, thus guaranteeing it gets done.

My friend's kids have homework that needs to be done online, meaning he had to buy a computer and have internet, meaning it costs money.

Bit of a unfair generalisation there AR, something I don't normally see from you. Some parents themselves could be illiterate, others children could live in single parent homes where the parent could be doing more than one job, and not have the time or energy to help. Other parents could be dependent on alcohol or drugs and not be fit to help. I personally would increase the school day to incorporate the time it would take to do the homework, thus guaranteeing it gets done.

My friend's kids have homework that needs to be done online, meaning he had to buy a computer and have internet, meaning it costs money.

Ok I see your points pal.Yes some parents just cannot do it agreed.I just really meant I know for a fact some parents I met could,just did not seem to care.That's really the ones I meant.

Good suggestion in regards to extending school day to get homework done,but tbh mate public schools in the States do not tend to do that due to financial reasons(Unfortunately a lot of teachers not willing to stay any extra without tbh way more pay than is fit, and some other financial reasons also).

A lot of parents have sent their children to me for study help and I love doing it and very rarely charge for it.

Any further suggestions mate?

my teacher friends have a lot of homework too. I think if they could do all their work in the school too, it would make it easier to persuade them to do more hours in the classroom.

Another good point.One of my best friends is an English teacher and she is always talking about the issues we have been discussing.

I think the education system in the States is decent state,but a lot of different things can still be done to up its standards.

Anyway thanks for your input pal,some good points.

Extending the school day so homework can get done sounds like a great idea. That too making time for teachers to do their own work.

But it would end up being teachers spending time supervising pupils and helping (because that's what we do) the kids with their work. The teachers would then still have to do their work outside of that time.

I read a comment from the Liberals, they want to reduce unnecessary tasks teachers currently do to let them spend more time in the classroom. As it stands most teachers only get 3 or 4 non teaching periods a week. That's just over three hours to mark (up to 240 books) plan lessons and carry out other essential tasks necessary to do the job properly.

Teachers, pfff. I have met and been taught by a good few. But I think the old adage is normally true. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Garbage.

Archived